Logging same cache multiple times?

SoonerL8R

I revisit caches to pick up travel bugs and coins (or drop off bugs and coins), but I certainly wouldn't log another find. Just log a note explaining your visit and trades.

Same here. If see a trackable logged in a local cache and I can help it meet it's goal I'll go back to the cache and 'write a note' and move the TB or coin.

I like my 'finds' number to be equal to my 'unique caches visited' number.

A note would be how I would handle it. But it is really up to you and the CO you attempt to post multiple logs on.

Thank you to you and the others who take the extra effort to move bug/coins along their stated journeys.

I'd like to pose the question of "Have you logged a cache multiple times or have you went back to a local Bug Hotel/cache to log new trackables as they are dropped in your area to increase your totals for bugs and/or coins?"

It is perfectly acceptable to re-visit a cache to pick up travelers...assuming you are taking them to help with their goals and not solely to increase your trackable numbers. It's not always best to grab all the trackables just because they are there.

As others have said. I will return to a cache to pickup travelers if I can help them, and I'll log a note.

I do a fair amount of foreign travel. There is one cache near me - which while it is not called a "hotel", tends to get a lot of travelers (as it is a nice large box in a safe place). When I am about to go on a trip I'll check if there are any travelers there that want to go where I'm going, or that have a generic "travel to lots of places" goal. I also have dropped several travelers I've found abroad back in this cache.

I like finding travelers and helping them. I never think about the trackable related numbers.

Nothing stops you from going back to cache you've been to before, either to move a trackable or just to check on the cache. Whether or not you log this visit as a find or as a note shouldn't matter to anyone. However there are some who view the find count as some sort of score. They perceive a find on a cache you have already been to before as a cheap score, since "you already know where the cache is." If the cache owner feels this way they will likely delete your second find log. Also people who believe the find count is a score will call you a cheater.

Some reasons for using a Find log for subsequent visits are that the date last found gets updated and your find log shows others that the cache has been found recently. This is particularly true of caches that have had a recent DNF. Some cachers use GSAK or other tool to eliminate caches that don't have a recent find from their hunts. So logging a find every time you [re]find a cache helps others know the cache is still there.

The claim that you can't find something if you already know where it is, is nothing more than a rhetorical device. Certainly when you revisit a cache you may find it in the same place as last time, find it was hidden differently than last time, or not find it. If you found the cache, then a find log should be a perfectly acceptable way to log it.

This is a bit different from region to region..

some say it is ok to score cheap "points" by logging the SAME cache as found,

I say if you find it and log it again and again, it is cheating and abuse, and your friends will loose respect of you.

if my region is it only accepted to find and log a cache ONCE !!

if you go there again, to pick up or to place a coin, then a NOTE is what you MUST use ..

to go and grap coins for the score of coins is perfectly normal,

it is like you go to an event and many cachers are there with hundredes of coins each,

you see them all, and get a list of all the track numbers to log as discovered when you get home,

it is a million times easier that way to get hi coin score :-)

and you get nice warm coffee and cake too..

Whether or not you log this visit as a find or as a note shouldn't matter to anyone.

In that case, why not log the same visit as 1,000 finds? It doesn't hurt anybody else, so why should it matter to anyone else?

I think the OP implicitly asked what the general consensus was regarding how to log return trips to a cache to place a trackable. The answer is clear: Log it with a "Write Note" rather than as an additional "Found It" (or 1,000 "Found Its").

Whether or not you log this visit as a find or as a note shouldn't matter to anyone.

In that case, why not log the same visit as 1,000 finds? It doesn't hurt anybody else, so why should it matter to anyone else?

I think the OP implicitly asked what the general consensus was regarding how to log return trips to a cache to place a trackable. The answer is clear: Log it with a "Write Note" rather than as an additional "Found It" (or 1,000 "Found Its").

I agree Toz, I mean you can go on all day with your theoretical argument (and I'm sure you will :D), but it's a pretty moot point when statistically, no one logs mulitple finds for revisiting caches. Just tell the poor guy what the consensus is.

I agree Toz, I mean you can go on all day with your theoretical argument (and I'm sure you will :D), but it's a pretty moot point when statistically, no one logs mulitple finds for revisiting caches. Just tell the poor guy what the consensus is.

Some people do. My buddy does. It doesn't bother me much.

Some people do. My buddy does. It doesn't bother me much.

Sure the first post after me has to be someone who says they know someone who does it. But C'mon, most people don't. :) I know, I know, people can do whatever they want, doesn't bother me and all that jazz. But if it's a question of ettiquette or common practice, no the vast majority don't do it.

eh, If he didn't he wouldn't be pure to his position.

Around here there are some that will create an event, then hide temp caches around the campsite and allow you to log multiple finds on the event cache. In other words say you found 10 of the temp caches. You would then log the event cache a total of 11 times. Once for the event and 10 Times for the temp caches.

Around here there are some that will create an event, then hide temp caches around the campsite and allow you to log multiple finds on the event cache. In other words say you found 10 of the temp caches. You would then log the event cache a total of 11 times. Once for the event and 10 Times for the temp caches.

Without even without looking at your profile I know you are from Wisconsin or Minnesota.

I never understood why they do that, but whatever.... It's not my stats, so I don't care.

There are lots of reasons why people might opt to log the same cache multiple times. Some recurring events reuse the same GC code each month. I've logged a couple (essentially) locationless caches over 100 times. I've also repeatedly logged a couple (essentially) traveling caches.

But if the question is...

"Have you logged a cache multiple times or have you went back to a local Bug Hotel/cache to log new trackables as they are dropped in your area to increase your totals for bugs and/or coins?"

... then the answer is: Nearly everyone will log their return visit(s) with a "Write Note" log rather than a "Found It" log (if they log it at all).

What about if you notice that there are new trackables in a cache and were to just go and write down the codes and log them on the trackbug side as "discovered"? Does that automatically create a new entry into the cache or "log" it? I myself would rather keep my number of caches logged the same as the number of unique caches logged, however where I live there isn't alot of caches nearby if I were to want to get my trackables numbers up.

What about if you notice that there are new trackables in a cache and were to just go and write down the codes and log them on the trackbug side as "discovered"? Does that automatically create a new entry into the cache or "log" it?

Logging a trackable on the trackable's page will not create any log entries on the cache listing page (and will not effect on your number of finds).

What about if you notice that there are new trackables in a cache and were to just go and write down the codes and log them on the trackbug side as "discovered"? Does that automatically create a new entry into the cache or "log" it?

Logging a trackable on the trackable's page will not create any log entries on the cache listing page (and will not effect on your number of finds).

Did you know I have a travel bug that asks people to list their favorite book or ice cream flavor (among other things)

Some don't, which is okay.

But they did move it.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

Doesn't the site break out multiple finds on the same cache? It tells you you have 1,000 finds total and 3 unique finds meaning you found the same three caches 1,000 times.

So what's the problem. The purists have a way to see the 'actual' cache find count and the folks who don't care can log away find after find.

(You guys know there isn't a prize right?)

Edit to add,

Whoever said "around here you MUST....blah blah blah", you made my day. That's some funny stuff. Not only isn't there a prize, there's no rules either!

Lighten up Francis...

Edited by GeotaggedBloger