Link to the Old Forums

Jamie Z

Elias,

The old forums are only mostly unnecessary. On rare occasion, I'll go back to check something out in the old forums, and every once in a while, someone (Markwell) will post a link referencing something we discussed a year ago.

Of course I don't know how much precious disk space the forums occupy, but I say keep the link.. and it will probably keep its usefulness for at least another year or two.

Jamie

Actually, the point of keeping the old forums is only valid for those forums that didn't convert well - and there are some. On odd occassions, the data got truncated and only a portion of the posts converted.

What I'd like to actually see is a point where if there was a thread that exists in the current forums as a result of a conversion - that this thread at the top has a link to the original thread.

IMHO, that's how it should have been done at conversion time. So please - keep the old threads somewhere.

Disk space? As Dogbert would say, "Bah." Take a peek at this history of disk space page. Current going rate for hard drive space is 40 gigs for $128.88 - that's about $3.71 per gig, and 2.7MB for 1¢. Five charter members would pay for enough server space to hold the forums x10 I believe.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers