Garmin 62sc

luvvinbird

My first 100 geocaches were documented with a photo for my personal scrapbook and milestone caches beyond #100 were (and are) also documented with a photograph. My point and shoot camera has finally bit the dust and I was thinking about acquiring the Garmin 62sc. Admittedly, I'm a sucker for newer GPSr versions, so I was wondering if anyone is using this particular handheld for locating and documenting their geocache "journey". Do you like it? Has it been reliable? I have a 62s which I really like but one can never have enough GPSr's. Thanks for your input. Oh, yeah...I can get it for $389.00, here in Canada.

My first 100 geocaches were documented with a photo for my personal scrapbook and milestone caches beyond #100 were (and are) also documented with a photograph. My point and shoot camera has finally bit the dust and I was thinking about acquiring the Garmin 62sc. Admittedly, I'm a sucker for newer GPSr versions, so I was wondering if anyone is using this particular handheld for locating and documenting their geocache "journey". Do you like it? Has it been reliable? I have a 62s which I really like but one can never have enough GPSr's. Thanks for your input. Oh, yeah...I can get it for $389.00, here in Canada.

62sc = 62s + 5 Megapixel camera. Anything you know/read about the 62s would be applicable to the 62sc with the exception of the camera.

Thanks for your reply, GeoBobC. I guess I should have been more specific, as I was curious about the geotagging feature for photo navigation and wondered if anyone who owns a 62sc makes use of that feature. Otherwise, my 62s is a great GPSr that I really couldn't be happier with. The price for the 62sc is good, but not a super deal. Maybe I'll just buy another camera...I'll think about it.

This is about an Oregon 550 but the features should work the same.

I go out in the back country wilderness in the Winter and find cactus plants (when they are dormant), take pics of them with the Oregon, and then in the Spring I can navigate back to a specific clump while they are in bloom. Works just like it's supposed to! It's great, because you don't have to save a separate waypoint, and then remember which photo it went with, etc.

Do a Where To,Photo, select the photo, GO, and you're directed right to it.....

I go out in the back country wilderness in the Winter and find cactus plants (when they are dormant), take pics of them with the Oregon, and then in the Spring I can navigate back to a specific clump while they are in bloom. Works just like it's supposed to! It's great, because you don't have to save a separate waypoint, and then remember which photo it went with, etc.

Thanks, Grasscatcher. It sounds like that's a feature you're glad you have. I thought it would be handy to have two devices in one, so to speak, and the geotagging of the photos sounded like something I would use. Now, about that price...

Here's another plus....

I have a friend that is a pilot and has taken me up on occasion. Pics that I take are geo-referenced along the logged/recorded track where they were taken and a short reference line from the pic icon points the direction the camera was facing. (the direction the pic was taken from that point on the track). I can tell right side,left side,straight ahead,or angled,etc..........neat and useful feature for identifying different views.

That applies only to pics taken with the GPS camera. Ones that are taken with another camera and the camera's time is sync'd with the track time, just show up on the map (track) where they were taken....with no direction line.

Are the photos saved directly to the unit or can they be saved to the SD card? If they can be saved to the SD Card can you still navigate back to the site via the SD card?

thanks