This puzzle cache is killing me.

beast911

I just don't know what to do anymore. He has posted only one location and the hints are "Trigonometry. Hypotenuse. Reciprocal." I know it can't be finding the distance between two points because only one is posted, and yes I have looked everywhere for another including source code. It can't be projecting a waypoint because there is no distance or bearing, so what is it then? Please help, thanks.

1. It's considered "bad form" to ask for puzzle help in the forums.

2. You didn't give us a link to the cache. Probably a good thing considering #1.

3. The only person that should give you any help is the cache owner. I suggest you email him/her.

4. You don't have to find every cache. The "ignore list" was created for a reason.

As suggested, don't be shy about asking the CO for a little help. I've unwillingly done it once or twice and finally solved the puzzle, lol. I enjoy doing Sudoku puzzles and crosswords but I draw a blank at most mystery caches. There are many of "those" caches in my neighborhood and it bothers me to see all those question marks just a stone's throw from my home but, for the life of me, I just don't get them.

2. You didn't give us a link to the cache. Probably a good thing considering #1.

3. The only person that should give you any help is the cache owner. I suggest you email him/her.

4. You don't have to find every cache. The "ignore list" was created for a reason.

Weee ewww Weeee ewww Weeee ewww! Pull over, this is the cache police, you will be given one warning only!

Weee ewww Weeee ewww Weeee ewww! Pull over, this is the cache police, you will be given one warning only!

Actually Lil Devil is a member of the cache police. Perhaps you should tone down the smartaleck remarks before the cache police from Pennsylvania pulls you over.

1. Yes

2.I don't want to see it either... :laughing:

3. The CO is most likely your best option for help, although some do refuse to help anyone.

4. The OP seems to be a 'regular' member, therefore no 'Ignore List'. :(

Interesting, I didn't realize that not everyone had the ability to ignore caches.

Of course anyone can ignore a cache. Only premium members have an ignore list. Adding a cache to your ignore list means it not appear in maps or searches.

Yes, I meant 'ignore' in the system-supported, code-enabled sense.

Actually Lil Devil is a member of the cache police. Perhaps you should tone down the smartaleck remarks before the cache police from Pennsylvania pulls you over.

You are correct sir. More like the common sense police I guess.

Interesting, I didn't realize that not everyone had the ability to ignore caches.

Yep. All those smartphone newbies have to look at multi-caches, even though they don't know how to put coordinates for the 2nd and + stages in the phone. :ph34r:

Just kidding, it's always been a Premium Feature since the day it came out, very early 2005.

4. The OP seems to be a 'regular' member, therefore no 'Ignore List'.

The OP is a sock puppet, so I am guessing they do indeed have an ignore list. Note the date the account was created.

Just like I predicted, we see about one sock puppet incident a week. :D

I didn't know a puzzle cache could commit murder. :ph34r:

Not necessarily murder. Could be justifiable homicide. After all, it is a puzzle... :ph34r:

What do you suppose the murder weapon is, and where the scene of the crime is? In the home office with a computer? :lol:

Miss Signal did it, at the Summit Register, with an abacus? :P

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I think that would be the North Carolina Cache Police? But they probably have their hands full with those military guys who armchair log caches. :ph34r:

too funny!

According to section 4 of the geocaching.com terms of use, "You agree not to: [...] (m) Publish, on any Groundspeak owned web property, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner." However, here are some general puzzle tips (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago):

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

Puzzle Solving 101 Series (bookmark list)

Puzzle Shortcuts Series (bookmark list)

Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)

Three Native American women are sitting on animal skins on the ground.

The first is sitting on a deer skin. She has a son who weighs 140 pounds.

The second is sitting on a buffalo skin. She has a son who weighs 160 pounds.

The third is sitting on a hippopotamus skin. She weighs 300 pounds.

This is an example of the well known fact from geometry, that the squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sons of the squaws on the other two hides.

Edward (yes, was a math major)

I didn't know a puzzle cache could commit murder. :ph34r:

Not necessarily murder. Could be justifiable homicide. After all, it is a puzzle... :ph34r:

What do you suppose the murder weapon is, and where the scene of the crime is? In the home office with a computer? :lol:

Miss Signal did it, at the Summit Register, with an abacus? :P

I say the LPC hider did it in the Walmart parking lot with exposed electrical wires. :P

>Trigonometry and math isn't my forte

Hello, to you.. the idea with this ?-cache is most likely to learn you some new tricks,

expand your horizon, educate you, maybe you even find it interesting to dig into the topic

and this way understand the idea and math of this cache.

The harder it looks and feels in the beginning, the higher reward to you when you manage to solve it..

or offcourse the more wasted time of yours if you fail to learn anything, and just try and try in vain.

or there is another way.. drop it.. wait and see.. maybe it is easier later..

I do feel some ?-caches only purpose is to waste your time !!

and to keep you away from the great outdoors !!

I really hate such caches and try not to waste my time to solve them,

lucky my wife find some of them funny, and she is a part of my team,

so it is ok for me to use her skils, patience, and time :-)

Some days you maybe find weather is bad, or what ever, then "waste"

or spend a bit time of some of the near by ?-caches, and see what happens..

start with the most easy first :-)

that is a good way to get confident and the energy to try some more.

you dont need to be a master of mystery to have fun with geocaching..

but just try a few and see..

Three Native American women are sitting on animal skins on the ground.

The first is sitting on a deer skin. She has a son who weighs 140 pounds.

The second is sitting on a buffalo skin. She has a son who weighs 160 pounds.

The third is sitting on a hippopotamus skin. She weighs 300 pounds.

This is an example of the well known fact from geometry, that the squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sons of the squaws on the other two hides.

Edward (yes, was a math major)

So where did she get that hippopotamus skin?

I mean, was there some sort of fair trade conduit between Africa and the Americas like so many believe?

Naturally, this would also explain how the pyramid was exported from Egypt to Central America...

Yep. All those smartphone newbies have to look at multi-caches, even though they don't know how to put coordinates for the 2nd and + stages in the phone. :ph34r:

Just kidding, it's always been a Premium Feature since the day it came out, very early 2005.

4. The OP seems to be a 'regular' member, therefore no 'Ignore List'.

The OP is a sock puppet, so I am guessing they do indeed have an ignore list. Note the date the account was created.

Just like I predicted, we see about one sock puppet incident a week. :D

We all have to start somewhere, and I believe you, too, were a newbie once. How do we learn if we don't have a go?

and to think I have been asking friends or past finders (and vice versa, or both) for help all these years if I chose to not ask the CO.

I think he missed the posting when lil' Devil did the Oops!

According to section 4 of the geocaching.com terms of use, "You agree not to: [...] (m) Publish, on any Groundspeak owned web property, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner." However, here are some general puzzle tips (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago):

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)

Kind sir you left out the part about OP being a sock puppet

and to think I have been asking friends or past finders (and vice versa, or both) for help all these years if I chose to not ask the CO.

Think he is mainly concerned about the forum not between other cachers.

CO, if you still need help, feel free to pm me.

Just because the OTHER thread was shown to be an example of not using bad form, is no reason to offer PM help in this thread to someone who posted as a sock puppet, in violation of the forum guidelines. :ph34r:

Does anyone remember what happened the last time someone decided a new forum member was a sock puppet? What exactly does everyone have against new members?

There are plenty of people who think cachers shouldn't help each other with puzzle caches. Most people think the private communication that goes on between two cachers off of the forums is no one's business, but some think it's still bad form.

two random cachers meet in a park..

A : hey B I see you walk from the north, where I have been all day -

did you find XYZ ?? I really tried but no luck..

B : sure it was hidden very good, but I got it..

A : cool could you please reveal a little bit, a hint or trick ?

do you think..

B : nope you are a darn lame beginner and should try to find it on your own,

I am the coolest and will only help my self..

or do you think..

B : ya sure try under the small tree, not the big one like cache discription say,

I know it is wierd, but that is where I found it at last, good luck my new friend.

Edited by OZ2CPU

Just because the OTHER thread was shown to be an example of not using bad form, is no reason to offer PM help in this thread to someone who posted as a sock puppet, in violation of the forum guidelines. :ph34r:

Nothing to do with the other thread and really MYOB.

Sure seems like it to me! :D You posted "If you still need help feel free to PM me" to this thread exactly 2 minutes after you posted this to the other one?

Totally fine to ask for help as no GC code was given. I've learned something too from this thread! Thanks Mitragorz!

Someone created a sock puppet account to start this thread. That is not "totally fine". By the way, at least 2 of the "bad form scolders" in these threads are reviewers posting with player accounts. It's hardly like there's been a universal consensus or Groundspeak ruling that what we can now refer to as the Braille thread was A-OK.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Does anyone remember what happened the last time someone decided a new forum member was a sock puppet? What exactly does everyone have against new members?

Why yes I do AS!! It was one week before this guy, and Sandy from Groundspeak posted to the thread "yes you are a sock puppet, and yes it is against the forum guidelines", as she closed the thread. :laughing:

Oh, you mean the one in a thousand time when someone was wrong? Didn't realize you had been around that long! Yeah, that was ugly. No names of course. :ph34r:

"This puzzle cache is killing me", "I just don't know what to do anymore", all while knowing what waypoint projection is, 7 days after joining with your 0 find account could hardly be confused with "I found this tupperware container in my public co-op garden" :)

Edited by Mr.Yuck
It's hardly like there's been a universal consensus or Groundspeak ruling that what we can now refer to as the Braille thread was A-OK.

I wasn't aware of any significant issue with the Braille thread. Josh did the right thing, asking for generalized advice without making any reference to the cache in question. That's always been acceptable in here.

It's hardly like there's been a universal consensus or Groundspeak ruling that what we can now refer to as the Braille thread was A-OK.

I wasn't aware of any significant issue with the Braille thread. Josh did the right thing, asking for generalized advice without making any reference to the cache in question. That's always been acceptable in here.

I'm fine with it. Just saying there hasn't been a consensus. Post #3 was the Braille alphabet pic, Post# 4 was the protypical "bad form" post, and #5 and #6 didn't seem to be down with the post #3 Braille pic either. :P

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes' jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Kind sir you left out the part about OP being a sock puppet

Maybe so, but others might be looking for the information just posted....

My wife does not use this forum. She also does not log her finds unless it is required (Coin Challenge). Would she be considered/accused of being a sock puppet if she did dare to ask a question on this forum????? I have contacted the CO with my questions on puzzle caches but newbies to the forums are just that...newbies. I like reading the forums but sometimes I have to laugh at how heated some of these debates can become. Of course this current topic is very mild compared to some of them I have read.

My wife does not use this forum. She also does not log her finds unless it is required (Coin Challenge). Would she be considered/accused of being a sock puppet if she did dare to ask a question on this forum????? I have contacted the CO with my questions on puzzle caches but newbies to the forums are just that...newbies. I like reading the forums but sometimes I have to laugh at how heated some of these debates can become. Of course this current topic is very mild compared to some of them I have read.

So I assume she did not create her account 7 days ago, and has more than 0 finds, even if it's only a few for coin challenges. She would not come here with those credentials and use a term such as Waypoint Projection, something I've never even had to use myself personally in 8 1/2 years of Geocaching. She would absolutely under no circumstances be accused of being a sock puppet. I'm a trained sock puppet identification specialist, dating back to Usenet in the 1990's. B)

There are plenty of people who think cachers shouldn't help each other with puzzle caches. Most people think the private communication that goes on between two cachers off of the forums is no one's business, but some think it's still bad form.

That kind of depends on what you mean by "help each other". There's a difference between two (or more) cachers collaborating on trying to solve a puzzle (that neither has solved) until a solution has been found and someone PMing a cache that solved and found a puzzle cache asking for help.

In the first case, I don't see that any different than a group of cachers getting together for a day and looking for a few physical caches together. The second is more like a "phone-a-friend" when someone asks someone else that has previously found a cache where it's located.

I suspect that most CO's don't care when a couple of cachers get together to try and find one of their cachers, but it they might considered it their business if one cachers finds their cache then starts telling others where to find it.