oregon 550

You didn’t say from the controls of the GPS so…The GPS will look for GPX files in the GPX folder in the Garmin folder. So therefore you can have as many folders with GPX file/s containing 5000 geocaches in the Garmin folder as long as only one folder is named GPX. You would have to connect to a PC or put your memory card in a phone, etc. to rename the GPX folder to something different and then rename the folder with the caches you want to use to GPX. Of course the maximum GPX file limit could be an issue in the active GPX folders.

Interesting question, and yes you can, in a vague sort of way...

As others have responded your Garmin will only recognize "real" geocaches if they are in a correctly formatted .gpx file residing in the garmin\gpx subdirectory.

However you can store other uniquely named goecache.gpx files on a known PC subdirectory and use POIloader to create a .gpi file, using as many geocache files you want. Save the output .gpi file to (for example \garmin\poi) subdirectory on the micro sd card.

You can then access these geocaches via Extras. HOWEVER, these geocache files will be viewed as poi files which means you can set them as destinations but your Oregon WILL NOT view/track/log them as geocaches. Clear as mud what...

A few Questions about the 550:

1. Can it capture screen shots like the Magellan explorist 610?

2.Can you save your Photos to the SD card instead of the Unit and still use them to go back to the location?

3. Can you lock the screen that you are on so you don't accidentally touch it an move to another.

4. Will it sort your cache files (meaning if I did a PQ & downloaded it to the unit and it includes all types ie: virtuals, puzzles multi, traditional, etc.. but today I just want to see the puzzles in the area) can I specify it to just show me those even though the PQ has every type?

I have the Magellan Explorist 610 and I like it but I miss being able to share wireless with others like the Garmin does.

Thread hijack!

To the OP: the easy way to get what you want is to have several microSD cards - put the different gpx files you want on the different ones. Unless you're carrying enough laptop power to change the info on the card out in the filed.

To the hijacker:

1.Yes

2.Yes

3.No, but once you learn how to use it this won't be an issue. Unless the whole concept of a touch screen device doesn't work for you due to some physical problems. You have to be pretty deliberate to change screens - it's just a little button down in the corner.

4. Yes

Thread hijack!

3.No, but once you learn how to use it this won't be an issue. Unless the whole concept of a touch screen device doesn't work for you due to some physical problems. You have to be pretty deliberate to change screens - it's just a little button down in the corner.

With the unit on, press the power button shortly and then touch the "Lock Screen" button to lock the screen. Edited by coggins

Thread hijack!

With the unit on, press the power button shortly and then touch the "Lock Screen" button to lock the screen.

Woops! Thanks for the reminder!