Plastic bags around containers

Teacosies

Did 4 caches by the same setter all film pot size all in the biggest freezer bags they could find, you didn't need to look for the container you could see the bags from a distance! This is not the only setter doing this as it seems the to be quite common now. The bags become ripped quite quickly and then become useless to keep the water out, quite often the containers are not waterproof either; just some random box.

Betcha the setters don't even know this is frowned upon, would it be possible for reviewers to check this at the time of review.

May be a paragraph on the confirmation that its been received for review, although that's an auto generated email so that wouldn't work.

How is the urban matter addressed could it be treated the same way?

Comments / suggestions?

Did 4 caches by the same setter all film pot size all in the biggest freezer bags they could find, you didn't need to look for the container you could see the bags from a distance! This is not the only setter doing this as it seems the to be quite common now. The bags become ripped quite quickly and then become useless to keep the water out, quite often the containers are not waterproof either; just some random box.

Betcha the setters don't even know this is frowned upon, would it be possible for reviewers to check this at the time of review.

May be a paragraph on the confirmation that its been received for review, although that's an auto generated email so that wouldn't work.

How is the urban matter addressed could it be treated the same way?

Comments / suggestions?

A politely worded comment with your found (or NM) log, with a link to the guidelines might be a good way of getting the message across?

Edited by keehotee

In a similar vein, I found a sodden log in a 35mm pot wrapped up in a DIRTY crisp bag the other day! Nasty! Won't name names, but the crisp bag was supposed to be the camouflage which blended it in with the rest of the surroundings (btw, the fact that it was disguised as litter, wasn't made clear in the cache description, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered!!!)...

...so basically this was a cache which was taking me somewhere where litter was so commonplace that one more dirty crisp bag stiffed in a tree wouldn't be noticed!!! OMG!!!

... and she hadn't even washed the crisp bag! :rolleyes:

(wonder if there is a thread anywhere with "the yuckiest cache I've ever touched"! Perhaps we should start one! :laughing: )

It's that rancid rainwater that runs out of the folds in the plastic bag down your coat sleeves when you are opening it that is really unpleasant. (Well I hope it's rainwater!).

Often the bags have actually acted as a collector of rain water anyway and the bottom of the bag is wetter than if the container had just been left out in the open.

Did 4 caches by the same setter all film pot size all in the biggest freezer bags they could find, you didn't need to look for the container you could see the bags from a distance! This is not the only setter doing this as it seems the to be quite common now. Comments / suggestions?

Our experience is that poly bags on outside of cache containers are so uncommon in Hampsire and Dorset that we cannot recall the last time we found one . :)

In a similar vein, I found a sodden log in a 35mm pot wrapped up in a DIRTY crisp bag the other day! Nasty!

Yet, incredibly ...

Had to deploy extreme stealth to bag this one icon_smile_wink.gif This one had a nice flavour to it! icon_smile_big.gif SL TFTC

Sheesh. Some people.

In a similar vein, I found a sodden log in a 35mm pot wrapped up in a DIRTY crisp bag the other day! Nasty! Won't name names, but the crisp bag was supposed to be the camouflage which blended it in with the rest of the surroundings (btw, the fact that it was disguised as litter, wasn't made clear in the cache description, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered!!!)...

...so basically this was a cache which was taking me somewhere where litter was so commonplace that one more dirty crisp bag stiffed in a tree wouldn't be noticed!!! OMG!!!

(wonder if there is a thread anywhere with "the yuckiest cache I've ever touched"! Perhaps we should start one! :laughing: )

I found that one (or one just like it), and I thought it was a rather cute idea. I've also found caches in drinks cans, in crown bottle caps, in a dumped car (not that I'm suggesting that the cache owner dumped the car), in discarded flower pots and in a drinking straw. Don't forget, any cache that isn't placed with the permission of the landowner (and I suspect that covers a large number of caches) is, actually, litter.

We wouldn't publish a cache in a 'plastic' bag if we were aware of it. Of course if they don't state as much on the cache page we don't know :o

This thread discusses this issue as well.

And of course it covers up the label with the identifying cache name, GC number and contact details :lol:

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Unless the bag is essential for camoflage (As, for example, in the case of a large, square, bright orange biscuit box)*, I always CITO external plastic bags and usually (If I remember) say so in the log.

* Amazing though it may seem I have found one of these "hidden" behind a tree no more than 3 inches in diameter.

Edited by Just Roger

I found that one (or one just like it), and I thought it was a rather cute idea. I've also found caches in drinks cans, in crown bottle caps, in a dumped car (not that I'm suggesting that the cache owner dumped the car), in discarded flower pots and in a drinking straw. Don't forget, any cache that isn't placed with the permission of the landowner (and I suspect that covers a large number of caches) is, actually, litter.

I think it may have been a different cache. Honestly, the log was sopping wet (I could have wrung it out) and the inside of the crisp bag has black and brown bits in it, all stuck to the inside of the bag, with the moisture it had retained. I felt the need to use hand-gel after touching it!

I didn't take a photo (I wouldn't want any one individual cache setter to feel bad - hence naming no names), but I think I'm not really a fan of any cache which adds what looks like unsightly litter to a green space - even if there is litter already there. JMHO.

We found one the other day that was in a pretty decent location, and when we approached GZ we saw a largish brick/stone with "Geocache" engraved on it (this was in a pretty muggle-free location so the brick laying in plain sight like that was not really compromising the cache). So we figured, hey, here we are, the container is under the brick, never seen one spelled out like that but interesting twist, right? Lifted the brick to find the "container" was a ziploc bag. Of course everything inside was yucky.

So I'm thinking, who goes to all the time and effort of engraving "Geocache" on a brick then can't be bothered to come up with a better container than a ziploc bag? :rolleyes:

Personally I think any bag around a cache is not nice, even Camo bags appears to help maintain a moist grab,

Don't come caching in Shropshire then unless you like soggy holey socks.

Oh my word!

The first 'SOCK' cache I found in Shropshire gave me the shivers just sticking my hand in to get the box.

Then after the finishing the series (all 20 caches in soggy socks) I was just soooooo fed up of them.

Why do they do that?

I remember going to an event that evening and complaining to someone about all the soggy sock caches and that person told me that 'ALL' their caches were in socks. :unsure:

I just don't 'get it'.

Personally I think any bag around a cache is not nice, even Camo bags appears to help maintain a moist grab,

Don't come caching in Shropshire then unless you like soggy holey socks.

Oh my word!

The first 'SOCK' cache I found in Shropshire gave me the shivers just sticking my hand in to get the box.

Then after the finishing the series (all 20 caches in soggy socks) I was just soooooo fed up of them.

Why do they do that?

I remember going to an event that evening and complaining to someone about all the soggy sock caches and that person told me that 'ALL' their caches were in socks. :unsure:

I just don't 'get it'.

I'm guilty of a couple of letterboxes in black knee socks. I found a cache in a black sock and thought it blended in so well when hung in a cedar. Seemed like a good way to use up odd socks. But I found that cache on a dry summer day. I've since found a couple of other boxes in socks but one sock was wet and rather unpleasant to reach in and pull out. The other sock was frozen. Luckily it was close to the car so I could thaw it out and break through the ice. So I'm going to nix the idea of hanging boxes in socks and go back to the wire hanger instead.