Built-in POIs on new eTrex models?

Wintertime

I was just looking at the various POI categories on my eTrex 20, and it doesn't seem to have the built-in POIs I would expect. For example, I got "No results found" on Fuel Services, even though there are two gas stations within a few blocks of my house. I did get some results on golf courses, for all the good that does me!

I remember in 2001 some friends and I were visiting southern Utah and the Las Vegas area, and I was able to find some fast-food places near the freeway via my Garmin GPS III+. The eTrex doesn't even have a restaurant category! This is progress?? And under Transportation, it has Amtrak stations but not San Jose-Mineta International Airport--or even SFO!

What sorts of POIs do you see on your eTrex 10/20/30?

Also, where are the built-in POIs stored? I don't see any files in the POI folder of the main unit. (I have some benchmark POIs in the POI folder of the micro-SD card.)

Patty

My etrex Vista HCx is several years old, and I find the POIs to be a mixed blessing. I think the only times that I have used it are for NYC subway stations, and once, again in NYC, for a gas station to get air for a flat tire. The problem is, with all the POIs, I can't even see the streets on the maps!

c26bca9e-d234-4cf6-aa5a-9c4b5a6e1f39.jpg

Okay. E. 97th isn't too bad... But still pretty cluttered. Oh! I know what park that cache is in!

Hi, Harry.

Yeah, my map gets kinda hard to see sometimes when I have my benchmark POIs loaded.

I posted my query in the Tech forum and it turns out that you have to buy Garmin's street maps to get all the POIs they mention in the user manual. I do have some POIs from the open source maps I've installed. One of these days I'll go looking at the POI Factory website for more.

Patty

Hi, Harry.

Yeah, my map gets kinda hard to see sometimes when I have my benchmark POIs loaded.

I posted my query in the Tech forum and it turns out that you have to buy Garmin's street maps to get all the POIs they mention in the user manual. I do have some POIs from the open source maps I've installed. One of these days I'll go looking at the POI Factory website for more.

Patty

Well, on my 60CSx, in the setup area, there is a setting for amount of detail to show, and 5 levels to choose from, and that hides all the POIs that I don't want that are built in to the maps that I have loaded. I don't know if that setting is in yours or not though.

Well, on my 60CSx, in the setup area, there is a setting for amount of detail to show, and 5 levels to choose from, and that hides all the POIs that I don't want that are built in to the maps that I have loaded.

I have a setting that lets me say what zoom level I should be at before POIs appear. Is that the setting you mean?

Patty

I have a setting that lets me say what zoom level I should be at before POIs appear. Is that the setting you mean?

Patty

Not exactly. There's a separate setting for actual zoom levels, the setting that I am referring to, shows things like contour lines, on a level of 1 to 5. (Least, Less, Normal, More, Most) But the level of zoom before POIs load sounds like what you want.

Alternately, you can roll your own using Garmin's POI loader software. On mine, they're searchable too. (just not easily)