Garmin 62s Software v 3.8

JBnW

Hello all, A couple of days ago Basecamp informed me that I should update my 62s to software v 3.8, which I did through Updater Didn't really see anything in the description that was needed, but loaded it anyway. Not saying that this may be the problem, but...sometime shortly following that, the 62s will intermittently not display the map in the map screen. Just a white screen, blue arrow, and the top fields (battery/ext. power and speed). All the other functions seem to work ok, except for routing (no map) and caching (won't find caches loaded via GSAK). The map will sometimes flicker on for a few, then off again for no apparent reason. I have tried running on battery/ext. power (with and without batteries); re-seating/removing the SD card, and loading some maps to the unit rather than the SD card. Still the same. Rather infuriating to discover I'm carrying a brick 30 minutes into a 4 hour caching trip! :mad:

So, any ideas while I wait out the weekend to call Garmin?

My next guess would be to revert back to whatever software version preceded v3.8...anybody have a link and good instructions for doing this??

Thanks for your help!

What version were you running before the update?

I'm pretty sure I was completely up-to-date; so that must've been v3.6. I purchased in late August 2011, immediately did an update, and seem to recall doing another update along the way. I'm not entirely sure, and I didn't check the version before the update.

I also forgot to mention that I copied all the system files when the GPS came out of the box...nearly a completely clean copy of the Factory data (OK, I did play with it for a while). Am I correct that I can paste those directly back to the GPS and "start over" to see if this is a software problem ...or worse?

OK folks, thanks for your help! For posterity, I did both resets described on the Wiki page, although the first method didn't solve the problem. Resetting all the way back to v 2.4 (method #2) seemed to have worked, and I'm now returning to v 3.6 and hoping it works as good as it did before. Will give an update after it's had a chance to think about it.

Thanks again!

OK folks, thanks for your help! For posterity, I did both resets described on the Wiki page, although the first method didn't solve the problem. Resetting all the way back to v 2.4 (method #2) seemed to have worked, and I'm now returning to v 3.6 and hoping it works as good as it did before. Will give an update after it's had a chance to think about it.

Thanks again!

Make sure you do all the stuff labeled in red for upgrades from versions prior to 3.4.