screen protector

lancs-sue

I can't seem to find one specifically for my garmin 62 st

I just bought some generic ones from Walmart. They were made to fit an iPhone but I measured and cut them to the proper size for my Garmin Oregon. Came out very nice (better than I expected, really, you can hardly tell it's on there) and cost me $10 for a 3 pack, so I have a couple extras. Just ordered a new digital camera, I may use one if the others for its screen.

I can't seem to find one specifically for my garmin 62 st

I just bought some generic ones from Walmart. They were made to fit an iPhone but I measured and cut them to the proper size for my Garmin Oregon. Came out very nice (better than I expected, really, you can hardly tell it's on there) and cost me $10 for a 3 pack, so I have a couple extras. Just ordered a new digital camera, I may use one if the others for its screen.

The Zagg screens are excellent. I have one on my PN40. Before my PN40 I would buy Palm screen protectors and used a razor and scissors to cut them to fit. They don't last as long as the Zagg screens but, can you get a year or more out of one and they are much cheaper.

Edited by briansnat

Are screen protectors really necessary? I have just started using a Dakota 20 with touch screen and I'm a long time iPhone user. If you are somewhat careful I'm thinking additional protection is not necessary.

So are GPS units any different from a cell phone in terms of really needing a screen protector?

Are screen protectors really necessary? I have just started using a Dakota 20 with touch screen and I'm a long time iPhone user. If you are somewhat careful I'm thinking additional protection is not necessary.

So are GPS units any different from a cell phone in terms of really needing a screen protector?

I'm very careful with all my gadgets and I still have Invisible Shield screen protectors on everything. After doing over 1000 caches on every sort of terrain, in every type of weather, my GPS had it's fair share of battle scars. Through dirt and mud, scrambling over rocks, or climbing trees, I'm so glad I had the Invisible Shield on it. Worth every penny.

I just retired my Explorist 500 for a GPSMAP 62s, and the first order of business was to get a screen protector on it.

I would say this is even more true if you have a touch screen. The dirt that gets on your fingers and is dragged over the touch screen, will scratch the screen over time.

feeling-lucky.png?w=500

That's basicaly what it comes down to. All it takes is that one accidental drop to get a big scratch in the middle of the screen. Like ace862, I'm very careful with my Oregon, but it still has lots of little dings on it. No matter how careful you are, there's still the chance (likelihood?) that something will happen to it.

But, if you do feel lucky (punk :laughing: ), by all means go without. Personally, I'm going to stick with my screen protector. It has already paid for itself in preventing costly damage.

Are screen protectors really necessary?

I've bounced my Oregon off the blacktop at 45MPH.

I've bounce my 60CSx off the blacktop at 40MPH.

I've driven over it with my pickup.

I've sunk it to the bottom of Mosquito Lagoon many times.

I crashed my KLR-650 with the 60 mounted on the handlebars.

I crashed the same bike 3 times with the Oregon clipped to a mirror.

(All fairly minor crashes, but still...)

I've never had a screen protector.

One glance and you can tell.

Your call.

Okay, I'm convenienced. I just took an extra iPhone peel-off and cut it down to size for the GPSr. Looks good with one real tiny bubble under the screen and ya know it is "exactly" in the middle of the compass pointer.

Cloudy with fox this a.m. so I'm interested in seeing how the display appears in the sun nowo.

The iPhone has a real glass screen that's almost impossible to scratch unless you hit it with something really sharp. GPSr's have a plastic screen (like some cheaper touch-screen cell phones) and over time just little bits of dirt and grit on your fingers (like if you've been rummaging around in the woods for a cache :) ) will abrade the screen pretty badly.

I had a couple of cheaper touch screen phones before the iPhone and the screens all eventually go scratched up even though my hands were (usually) clean. I can't imagine how much more grit and stuff my GPS is exposed to while out caching.