Logging a "needs maintenance"

Momma Nonna

I found a cache but could not sign the log because the container was stuck & could not be removed. Logging that way adds a blue cross indicating maintenance. Does logging a needs maintenance log count as a find on my stats?

No, you have to log a found it for a smiley and a find count.

Is it appropriate to log it twice - once as a find and again as needs maintenance log?

I log them separately. if you log just a NM, you don't get your find count. If the owner doesn't read all of the details from the found log, they may miss that it needs attention. The owner will see much more quickly that it needs attention with the additional log. Additionally, it will add the 'Needs maintenance' attribute to the cache listing, so people can choose to filter out caches that have that attribute in their PQ's. I do this often when traveling so I don't want to waste limited time looking for caches that have issues.

Edited by Nezgar & Vana

Holly, Thank you for such a rapid response. A related question? Is it appropriate to log it twice - once as a find and again as needs maintenance log?

That's how it's done. One log for your find. One log for Needs Maintenance. Your NM log does not count towards your Find count.

I'm confused. If the container was stuck and could not be removed, how did you sign the log? If you didn't sign the log, why would you log a find online? :unsure:

Seeing the cache does not equal a find. You have to sign the logbook.

Oh, and I thought toz's repeated ramblings had made it clear by now that there is in fact no such rule that one has to sign the log book for a smiliey. :rolleyes:

Edit to add: I do agree however that if a container being frozen stuck in ice is considered as "needing maintenance", then it wasn't a find.

Edited by dfx

I'm confused. If the container was stuck and could not be removed, how did you sign the log? If you didn't sign the log, why would you log a find online? :unsure:

Seeing the cache does not equal a find. You have to sign the logbook.

Oh, and I thought toz's repeated ramblings had made it clear by now that there is in fact no such rule that one has to sign the log book for a smiliey. :rolleyes:

Edit to add: I do agree however that if a container being frozen stuck in ice is considered as "needing maintenance", then it wasn't a find.

Life is too short. Log a find if you are NEVER getting back there. Cache your own way..

At worst the cache owner will delete your found log because he/she has a large stick shoved up their behind.

It is good of you to log a needs maintenance.

Shaun

Large sticks somewhere aside...

There are occasions that you may find remnants of a cache (such as the mowing groundskeeper did not realize it was there) when there is no logbook or the like, just a shredded pile of apparent Lock & Lock pieces would call for a NM log. You still didn't find a cache. But then, there are those that claim a find on a magnetic when they just find a magnet. So yes, I guess you could cache your way, stick or no.

Your game, your choice.

Thanks for all the conversation on this topic.

I could not sign the log because the cache was "stuck" - "wedged" in such a way that nobody could have gotten to the cache to sign the log. I know the CO will understand the problem if he returns to check his cache. In my mind, finding the cache, physically able to move the cache but unable to extricate it does count as a find. I indicated "due to technical difficulties" I was unable to sign log. I wasn't trying to get away with not signing the log - I admitted so in my Found log -- because the log was not available to sign. Thanks again for your input.