Total finds in one day?

vicnbob

I was looking at a fellower cachers profile statistics and they have this listed "10/11/11 - New personal record for finds in a single day - 1002 finds". Now do you think this means for that day in every year they have been caching or does it mean in that particular 24 hour period? When i first saw this the first thought that came to mind was 24 hour period which in my mind would be 24 hours in a day x 60 minutes in each hour = 1440 minutes in a day divided by 1002 would = a find every 1.4 minutes. Just saying it sounds impossible to me. Any thoughts.

Check his/her finds for that day. Were they on a long power trail (the kind next to a road so you can easily drive from one to the other)? If they went as a team then even though he actually signed perhaps 1/4 of the caches he may count all of them as finds since it was a team effort.

It is possible to find 1,000+ in 24 hours. Do a search on the ET power trail and you'll see just how it's done.

ok even having a cache every 528 feet (approx 1/10th mile) you would have to drive to each cache get out and log it in 1.4 minutes going steady for 24 hours without a break. still seems impossible to me

It is possible to find 1,000+ in 24 hours. Do a search on the ET power trail and you'll see just how it's done.

ok even having a cache every 528 feet (approx 1/10th mile) you would have to drive to each cache get out and log it in 1.4 minutes going steady for 24 hours without a break. still seems impossible to me

Reading those noted threads will help.

One technique is to do it as a "team", multiple members signing one cache each along the way. Not my technique, but I have seen it used. With "X" number of members, you'd multiply that 1.4 sec/per by "X".

I tried it once on the ET Hwy with Alamogul, nvsrvyr and Materus. I did most of the running. Alamogul drove, nvsrvyr spotted the cache and Materus stamped the log. Of course we switched because I would be dead by now if I did all the running. But I did move faster when it started to rain. I think our average was 88/hr.

We didn't try for the whole thing at once. We broke off and did other caching too.

One of the things I said most of the time was "are we done yet?"

But my favorite part was finding baby lizards and one baby horned toad under the stacked rocks.

Thanks. But we did 52 caches in/near the Kingdom Hearts Tribute series near Auburn, Maine, one day. Not a cache-and-dash power trail. Some of these did take some searching. But that was quite enough for us for one day! We do like to do things like eat, shower and sleep! I very much doubt that I'll try to break that record. Thanks anyway.

Because it seems impossible to you doesn't necessarily mean it's impossible. Never bet against power cacher when numbers are on the line.

Even though the rules are open, to some folks it really is all about the numbers.

At least they looked like they were having fun, and that does count for something a lot of people value as well.

Although I would never do that because I don't think it would be fun, I won't begrudge them their fun. Also I could care less about how many anyone did or didn't find in a day, a week, a year, or a lifetime. My numbers are the only numbers I care about.

Possible? Really??? That's 1,44minutes per cache... Going to it, finding it, opening it, doing your log, replacing it... No... I can't see it happen no matter how fast the car is... But if people want to log caches they haven't even seen that's their problem... Personally I'd rather know I've been writing in every single logbook!!!

Possible? Really??? That's 1,44minutes per cache... Going to it, finding it, opening it, doing your log, replacing it... No... I can't see it happen no matter how fast the car is... But if people want to log caches they haven't even seen that's their problem... Personally I'd rather know I've been writing in every single logbook!!!

If you watch the video clip you see them finding caches and signing logs at a clip of under one a minute. There is no reason that a focused team of cachers can't keep that up all day. Bathroom breaks? Use a cup in the car. Food? Take a bite out of a sandwich between cache runs. Sleep? Tomorrow.

Moose Mob says he averaged under 1 cache per 50 seconds over the course of their power run. He is a highly respect cacher who I know to be an upstanding guy. I'd have a hard time calling him a liar.

The entire concept is not my cup of beer. It doesn't sound like fun to me at all, but with enough stamina and the incredible ability to withstand monotony it is certainly possible. Not only is it possible, it's been done several times using legit methods.

Edited by briansnat

If you look at the video you'll see they are taking under a minute/cache as a team of three visiting and signing every cache. If they don't alternate jobs then the 2 guys getting out really can find 1000 caches in a day legitimately.

I'm actually planning on doing the trail late April with 2 friends that don't cache, we will have a stamp made and I will stamp very cache. Yes the numbers are great but it's also going to be an awesome 2 week road trip with good friends.

Edited by Roman!

If you watch the video posted earlier you see them finding caches at a clip of under one a minute. There is no reason that a dedicated and focused team of cachers can't keep that up all day and night. Bathroom breaks? Use a cup in the car. Food? Take a bite out of a sandwich between cache runs. Sleep? Tomorrow.

Moose Mob says he averaged under 1 cache per 50 seconds over the course of their power run. He is a highly respect cacher who I know to be an upstanding guy. I'd have a hard time calling him a liar.

The entire concept is alien to me. I wouldn't find it fun at all, but I have no doubt whatsoever about their claim that they did it.

Edited by briansnat

The entire concept is alien to me. I wouldn't find it fun at all, but I have no doubt whatsoever about their claim that they did it.

We have a designated driver, no significant others and unlimited beer money, I know it'll be fun as long as we don't get shot breaking into area 51.

Last November the wife and I did the last 50 caches on the Route 66 series east of Barstow CA. It took just a couple minutes shy of an hour to do all 50. Just me and her, no container swapping, nothing. Just get out, locate it, sign the log (no stamping), get back in the vehicle, and on to the next one. And we really weren't busting our rears either. I imagine if we kicked it into high gear we could have shaved 5- 10 minutes off that time.

It can be done.

And not that veryone does it, but there are the alternate logging methods to speed things up:

1) You have a cache with a pre-signed/stamped log (most/all are film cans); You swap it with the one that's in place; Goback to the car giving one of hte team members the newly found cache to open, and stamp while on the way to the next cache; repeat; If you start with a coupleof pre-signed caches, it can be quite quick

2) You sign them as a team, but the team is comprised of multie vehicles; If you have 2 cars, each car only finds every other cache; As a "team" you have found them all

And not that veryone does it, but there are the alternate logging methods to speed things up:

1) You have a cache with a pre-signed/stamped log (most/all are film cans); You swap it with the one that's in place; Goback to the car giving one of hte team members the newly found cache to open, and stamp while on the way to the next cache; repeat; If you start with a coupleof pre-signed caches, it can be quite quick

2) You sign them as a team, but the team is comprised of multie vehicles; If you have 2 cars, each car only finds every other cache; As a "team" you have found them all

That clouds matters. While many people have used these unconventional methods to shave time, people have racked up some pretty amazing numbers legitimately. I think some of the claims of 1,000+ in 24 hours are absolutely on the level.

Edited by briansnat

That clouds matters. While many people have used these unconventional methods to shave time, people have racked up some pretty amazing numbers legitimately. I think some of the claims of 1,000+ in 24 hours are absolutely on the level.

We are going end of April, my plan, I will sign (stamp) every log, I will not throw down to log missing containers, I will log my DNFs (are there any DNFs on the series), I will have fun and drink a lot.

cool !! another way to have fun using this hobby or sport if you like it

just do it !!

I personally dont think I could do it that fast and for that long,

but I think it is cool other people do it.

also I personally prefer to find and sign the caches my self,

it is halve of the fun for me, besides the trip to a new and hopefully interesing area,

power caching at this level, is offcourse a different game !!

if all members of a power team dont personally touch each cache ??

it is offcourse ok others find it for them, but each who go in the log, should

at least have touched it.. else it is cheating..

stamping if fine, it prove a physical contact, you and the log book !

you cant send the stamp with someone else, he find it, he stamp it, he hides it again,

while you are at another near by location looking for the next one !!

this is tottally cheating and that is not ok !!

it is offcourse ok others find it for them, but each who go in the log, should

at least have touched it.. else it is cheating..

Why? I've logged finds on group hikes where I never actually touched the container. Sometimes, I was even the first person to spot the cache (Huckle Buckle Beanstalk), and I still never touched the cache. Someone else signed my name for me while I put one of my personal signature tokens in a small ziplock bag, handed it to them to put in the cache, and logged a field note.

I don't see any problem with this on a normal group hike, and I don't see any reason to hold numbers runs to a higher standard.