Geocachers on The Amazing Race

TheGrey

I've always enjoyed The Amazing Race, maybe because it has many similarities to geocaching. Cachers are good at figuring out puzzles, making their way around unknown areas, and understanding clues, right? Now we'll get a chance to find out. The next season of The Amazing Race has a team who lists geocaching as their hobby. Apparently they are from New Port Richley, Florida. Anyone know them? Here's their bio:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/cast/81488/

I've always enjoyed The Amazing Race, maybe because it has many similarities to geocaching. Cachers are good at figuring out puzzles, making their way around unknown areas, and understanding clues, right? Now we'll get a chance to find out. The next season of The Amazing Race has a team who lists geocaching as their hobby. Apparently they are from New Port Richley, Florida. Anyone know them? Here's their bio:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/cast/81488/

Well good luck to them and I hope they don't get distracted by any caches in the area.

They might be able to grab some close to the airports while they're waiting for a flight.

They might even qualify for a virtual or two getting their picture taken at various sites!

Considering how often the competitors get lost I suspect that they wouldn't be allowed to carry a GPS during the race unless everyone had one. The do seem to occasionally have a bit of down time when they show up at an airport and discover that the next available flight is in the morning or when the get to some place that has a locked gate that doesn't open until morning. Of course, since they don't know where they'll be going next until they get their next clue pocket queries would be a challenge though they do seem to spend a fair amount of time in internet cafes.

They will probably be frustrated that they're traveling through many different countries (assuming that they last very long) and not be able to find a geocache. I've been to three different countries (all in Africa) since I've been geocaching where I'd hoped to find a cache but never got the opportunity to do so and will feel their pain.

I do wonder though if writing in a geocache search into the script might be something that the producers are considering.

Let's see. They work for Ringling Brothers and they like to make people laugh. Oh No! They're clowns!

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

They might be able to grab some close to the airports while they're waiting for a flight.

They might even qualify for a virtual or two getting their picture taken at various sites!

Considering how often the competitors get lost I suspect that they wouldn't be allowed to carry a GPS during the race unless everyone had one.

Very good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Yeah, I don't see the producers relaxing the rules against phones, GPS receivers, and other personal electronics just because they're geocachers. On the other hand, if they have a few hours to spare and an internet connection, and if they're in an area with high-res satellite images that are well-calibrated, then they could find a cache or two without a GPSr.

I seem to remember watching an episode in the past where a team was short of money and needed to purchase something, and they used their gps as a trade.
I don't remember anyone trading a GPS receiver, but they've traded other items like watches in past seasons. However, I think the rules have been revised in recent seasons to prohibit using personal property like that.

Cool beans! (catching up on the last season right now)

Thinking of this couple is one of the reasons why while I love to travel I would never do The Amazing Race- not finding a cache is the equivalent of not having time to stop and smell the roses, and it would drive me crazy to be in some far-flung destination and not be able to take a day or two at least to explore it! (been to a few dozen countries before I discovered geocaching too, so that doesn't help my opinion on all this)

Researching/producing TAR, on the other hand, is a job that sounds right up my alley and I wouldn't mind applying for. Someone's gotta have that job right? :laughing:

I seem to remember watching an episode in the past where a team was short of money and needed to purchase something, and they used their gps as a trade.
I don't remember anyone trading a GPS receiver, but they've traded other items like watches in past seasons. However, I think the rules have been revised in recent seasons to prohibit using personal property like that.

I found a couple of sites which listed the "rules" for The Amazing Race and both indicated that participants were not allowed to possess a cellphone, PDA, GPS (or almost any kind of electronics, including a camera), nor are they allowed to bring maps or language books or even written notes. It did indicate that personal items could be sold to obtain money but personal items can not be used to barter for services.

I don't know when the episode will be filmed and broadcasted but it would be kind of fun to follow their progress and highlight some of caches they won't find.

I found a couple of sites which listed the "rules" for The Amazing Race and both indicated that participants were not allowed to possess a cellphone, PDA, GPS (or almost any kind of electronics, including a camera), nor are they allowed to bring maps or language books or even written notes. It did indicate that personal items could be sold to obtain money but personal items can not be used to barter for services.

I don't know when the episode will be filmed and broadcasted but it would be kind of fun to follow their progress and highlight some of caches they won't find.

My mistake, I was thinking of that other similar show "Destination...... something" I got them confused

I'd assume that The Amazing Race has a nondisclosure agreement prohibiting folks from disclosing "spoilers" (locations, teams that got booted off, etc.) so this couple probably won't identify themselves even if they come across this thread. But -- does anyone recognize them? I did some poking around New Port Richey caches, didn't turn any cacher names or photos that looked like them.

I'd assume that The Amazing Race has a nondisclosure agreement prohibiting folks from disclosing "spoilers" (locations, teams that got booted off, etc.) so this couple probably won't identify themselves even if they come across this thread. But -- does anyone recognize them? I did some poking around New Port Richey caches, didn't turn any cacher names or photos that looked like them.

Ha, ha. I did the same thing while taking advantage of a very slow day at work (lately, I've been spending more time on this website than I am selling car parts, lol). I couldn't find a match, either. My wife and I are big fans of the show and it will be interesting to see if the couple mention geocaching or, hopefully, actually locate one or two during the race.

I'm pretty sure after every "race" or leg they get like 12 hours. That is quite a bit of down time (can't all be used for sleeping and eating). I'm pretty sure one could find a internet cafe or hell even someone with a GPS. Most of the checkpoints are major landmarks. I bet there is one close to the ending of every leg.

First episode will air February 19th.

I assume they are able to at least identify themselves, but I'm sure they aren't allowed to talk about the race at all until the season is complete. Maybe they'll come on here and tell their story afterwards?

Maybe I'm just not a sufficiently dedicated geocacher, but searching for caches would be pretty low on my list if I was a contestant. We're talking about possibly winning $1,000,000 here. First, I'd make sure I'm well rested and fed. Second, I'd be socializing with other contestants to create alliances and learn weaknesses. If I did have some spare time, I'd be visiting landmarks rather than Internet cafes.

First episode will air February 19th.

I assume they are able to at least identify themselves, but I'm sure they aren't allowed to talk about the race at all until the season is complete. Maybe they'll come on here and tell their story afterwards?

IF the first episode is in just a few weeks that means it's probably already taken place.

I also wasted a bit of time yesterday looking at a few TAR sites. The rules are pretty strict about disclosing any information at all prior to the completion of the broadcast. They're not allowed to bring cameras (might make logging a virtual difficult) to prevent photos leaking to the press or public. The players are only allowed to tell immediate family that they're going to be competing in the race and everyone that knows has to sign a non-disclosure agreement which indicates that they will be sued for 10 million dollars if they violate the terms. The players can't even tell their employers the real reason they might be missing up to a month of work. Most pit stops are 12 hours (and sometimes they're moved to other accommodations nearby) to sleep and eat but apparently most players only get about six hours of sleep and the food is free at the pit stops so that's when they usually eat. The rest of time is spent socializing with the other players and sometimes planning for their next destination (reserving a taxi). As someone else mentioned, racing for a million dollars will probably take priority over finding a cache during the race, and winning a leg might mean winning a trip to some other exotic location where they might have plenty of time to go caching.

Here's a link to a video that shows all the cast: Link. The geocaching couple is at about 2:23 minutes.

"The video you have requested is not available for your geographic region" :rolleyes:

how i hate that they do that, its so lame as if the rest of the world is on a different planet :lol:

i wish i knew their reasoning

Edited by t4e

Here's a link to a video that shows all the cast: Link. The geocaching couple is at about 2:23 minutes.

"The video you have requested is not available for your geographic region" :rolleyes:

how i hate that they do that, its so lame as if the rest of the world is on a different planet :lol:

Broadcasting agreements with different networks is usually the reason. TCM is frequently blacked out in Canada because they don't own the rights to broadcast the movie here.

Broadcasting agreements with different networks is usually the reason. TCM is frequently blacked out in Canada because they don't own the rights to broadcast the movie here.

still makes no sense, i can see blocking the full episodes but this is nothing more then a preview, same as a movie trailer, even more so when the information is available from other sites

still makes no sense, i can see blocking the full episodes but this is nothing more then a preview, same as a movie trailer, even more so when the information is available from other sites

If it is bothering you that much, contact the provider and ask them why.

If it is bothering you that much, contact the provider and ask them why.

any comment i make has to automatically be classified as "bothering" me?....am i allowed to make any observation?

Views fine on my iPad in Canada.

I think it would be cool of TAR had a Road Block or Detour featuring geocaching. They could always give the teams a GPSr for that particular task. They did that once when they used GPS to find something buried in the ice.

I remember the episode where the players had to use a GPS to find a hidden person but don't remember one where they had to find something hidden in the ice. I also remember that at least a couple of teams had difficulty using the GPS to find the hidden person but some of the teams figured it out right away.

IF the first episode is in just a few weeks that means it's probably already taken place.

I also wasted a bit of time yesterday looking at a few TAR sites. The rules are pretty strict about disclosing any information at all prior to the completion of the broadcast. They're not allowed to bring cameras (might make logging a virtual difficult) to prevent photos leaking to the press or public. The players are only allowed to tell immediate family that they're going to be competing in the race and everyone that knows has to sign a non-disclosure agreement which indicates that they will be sued for 10 million dollars if they violate the terms. The players can't even tell their employers the real reason they might be missing up to a month of work. Most pit stops are 12 hours (and sometimes they're moved to other accommodations nearby) to sleep and eat but apparently most players only get about six hours of sleep and the food is free at the pit stops so that's when they usually eat. The rest of time is spent socializing with the other players and sometimes planning for their next destination (reserving a taxi). As someone else mentioned, racing for a million dollars will probably take priority over finding a cache during the race, and winning a leg might mean winning a trip to some other exotic location where they might have plenty of time to go caching.

Actually, I thought about it and realized if you were doing TAR you were likely to get one exotic stopover along the way with time to cache which is the beach house they seclude everyone to while they're waiting for the rest of the show to finish up (and then of course they get a trip to the finish line too, so two actually). Which is part of the reason I never really got the show when thinking about it too much, while yeah it'd be nice to win a million bucks and see all those new places it's not like you don't get to hang out on a beach in Mexico as the consolation prize. :laughing:

Wow, how do you "not" tell your employer? Then again I'd probably quit my job of 18 years given the opportunity. LOL. My cousin will be on an episode of "Man Tracker", they filmed it last summer. I think it finally airs in Canada in March (probably later in the US). He can only tell us that it was filmed in Florida and that it was a blast. His work sent them (he and another DJ). They even worked with the RCMP to prepare.

But yeah, I'd rather focus on the million than worry about caching...get your million then go back and cache. B)

It would likely be difficult to grab caches while doing TAR. You could surf the web during some down time at an airport, but a lot of the stops in the race are not likely to be cache dense. One possiblity is after you are home and you know where you've been, is to see what virtuals were in the areas. Sice virtuals are often landmarks and it is likely that the landmarks were featured in an episode, you can screenshot the "picture" of you and the landmark from the episode and log it that way after the episode has aired. Most cache owners would probably be cool with that.

see i wouldnt be good at that because id keep stopping for caches and end up coming in last.

and i know the other geocachers i hang out with are the same way.

do you know how long it would take me to get to the check point if im trying to clean out my GPS...LOL

but good luck to them i hope they win. i might even check it out just to see how they do

After watching one episode, my initial assessment (subject to change) is that I'm not optimistic about their chances. They got behind early, and one partner started to cry. You need your wits about you when you get into difficult situations on that show, like the "Jersey Shore" team who were the last to depart for the Pit Stop but managed to avoid elimination.

One of the reasons the geocaching team perhaps got into trouble early was that they might have had trouble driving a stick shift. A member of another team admitted to not knowing how to drive a stick and ignoring his mother's pre-race advice to learn that skill. How can you not learn to drive a manual transmission vehicle if you know you're going to be on The Amazing Race?

I'm always amazed (haha) at how many people don't brush up on some very simple things, like learning to drive a manual,or do things like leaving their bags behind. Do they really go on a big show where they could win a million dollars and never watch any of the previous episodes? I'm sure they have watched them, but they act so surprised when they make these very basic mistakes.

I'm always amazed (haha) at how many people don't brush up on some very simple things, like learning to drive a manual,or do things like leaving their bags behind. Do they really go on a big show where they could win a million dollars and never watch any of the previous episodes? I'm sure they have watched them, but they act so surprised when they make these very basic mistakes.
Yeah, there was even one team that didn't know how to drive stick, and were invited back for one of the "returning teams" seasons and still didn't know how to drive stick. And there are other basic mistakes that surprise me at the beginning of every season: not knowing how to read a map, driving for hours in the wrong direction, not paying attention to the details in their instructions, etc. But those mistakes are what eliminate most of the early teams.

Another thing that worries me about the geocacher team is that both of them are carrying smaller daypacks on their backs and pulling small, wheeled luggage behind them. I don't remember ever seeing another team do this before.

If this season is like previous ones, there will be plenty of dirt paths and poorly maintained sidewalks where pulling luggage won't be feasible. So, they often will have to carry their luggage in their arms, which isn't very efficient.

Another thing that worries me about the geocacher team is that both of them are carrying smaller daypacks on their backs and pulling small, wheeled luggage behind them. I don't remember ever seeing another team do this before.

If this season is like previous ones, there will be plenty of dirt paths and poorly maintained sidewalks where pulling luggage won't be feasible. So, they often will have to carry their luggage in their arms, which isn't very efficient.

I've traveled to almost 50 countries on 6 continents... and most of it was with a wheeled bag that has detachable straps, but I've only needed the straps a handful of times. As in seriously, dirt road in Laos looking for a room, hostel bunk on the 5th floor with no elevator, a beach in Africa looking for a room... there were a few others I guess but I can't recall them, you get the idea.

That said I wouldn't go onto TAR with wheels because those people lug around their stuff everywhere, whereas I'm usually heading to my hostel first thing when I get to a new area. I mean geez, those people are screwed if they even just put the pit stop in a park!

They both seemed like very nice people. Just not a good fit for a competition like The Amazing Race.

That's about the happiest I've seen a couple after being eliminated. They're were thinking, "now we can go find a few caches in Argentina (which looked like it has some wonderful places for caching).

I wonder if they have the option of arranging their own flight home rather than have the show fly them home. I'd be thinking, "no thanks, we're going to stay here a few days...and, I wonder how much a flight will cost to Sao Paulo".