Another new reviewer?

keehotee

Welcome southerntrekker

Let the guessing game begin :ph34r:

I seem to recall guessing after the last couple of new reviewers but we (or maybe it was just me) never did find out who they were/are.

I can't recall seeing answers to the identities of at least the last two new recruits.

Welcome southerntrekker

Let the guessing game begin :ph34r:

I seem to recall guessing after the last couple of new reviewers but we (or maybe it was just me) never did find out who they were/are.

I can't recall seeing answers to the identities of at least the last two new recruits.

Me neither, but I can understand why they would want to keep their caching & reviewing accounts & identities separate.

There are so many now... does anybody really give a toss who thay are?

My sentiments exactly John...but what does peeve me off is that it looks like another Southern reviewer, is that about 47 of them down there now?

DalesmanX covers from Manchester to the Scottish Borders? (I may be wrong but I think thats what Keith does) and Scotland has no reviewer at all!!!!! Dave is covering that but it is not his "official" area..

To my reckoning if we cut the country through the middle we have one reviewer from Manchester going North and about 60 reviewers from Manchester going South!!

Don't the powers that be think it is time we had another 2 or 3 reviewers for the North of the country?

M :)

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

To my reckoning if we cut the country through the middle we have one reviewer from Manchester going North and about 60 reviewers from Manchester going South!!

Don't the powers that be think it is time we had another 2 or 3 reviewers for the North of the country?

You've forgotten/aren't aware of Royal Oak who reviews NW England.

You've forgotten/aren't aware of Royal Oak who reviews NW England.

And Antheia publishes quite a few in Derbyshire which I don't consider part of the South.

I've lost track of how many reviewers there are and what areas they cover but as I understand it they review by "state" and so it's easy to see where the greatest volumes are.

Northeast England     2262    2%
London                2528    2%
North Wales           2832    3%
South Wales           2936    3%
Southern Scotland     3941    4%
South West England    5884    5%
Northern Scotland     6611    6%
Yorkshire             8715    8%
West Midlands         9791    9%
East Midlands        10670   10%
Northwest England    10863   10%
Eastern England      10926   10%
South East England   11841   11%
Southern England     18737   17%
Total               108537

Of course, this is active caches rather than publishing rate but I expect it gives a good indication.

You can see a list of the current reviewers and the regions they cover here (plus a lot of other info!). Before anyone comments, my name isn't on the list at the moment as I'm taking a bit of a break from reviewing although at this moment I am doing Southern England as I train up Southerntrekker.

You will find we all 'float' around a bit covering for each other with holidays etc.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Edited by Graculus

There are so many now... does anybody really {content removed by mod} who they are?

Reviewers are possibly our future friends.

However it seems the Mods live on the dark side. :laughing:

Luckily the mods missed one above, so I can see what was removed in the other posts. Pharisee used a family-friendly phrase;

(slang) give a toss to be concerned or interested (esp in the phrase not give a toss )

[C16: of Scandinavian origin; related to Norwegian, Swedish tossa to strew]

...so it seems to have been removed in error. Mods do make mistakes, as do reviewers! Pharisee is not such an evil potty-mouth as I first thought. ;-)

Edited by Happy Humphrey

There are so many now... does anybody really {content removed by mod} who they are?

Reviewers are possibly our future friends.

However it seems the Mods live on the dark side. :laughing:

Luckily the mods missed one above, so I can see what was removed in the other posts. Pharisee used a family-friendly phrase;

(slang) give a toss to be concerned or interested (esp in the phrase not give a toss )

[C16: of Scandinavian origin; related to Norwegian, Swedish tossa to strew]

...so it seems to have been removed in error. Mods do make mistakes, as do reviewers! Pharisee is not such an evil potty-mouth as I first thought. ;-)

I had no idea the origin of the colloquial phrase I used was Scandinavian in origin.

At the start of almost every game/sport that involves two teams or individuals, the referee 'tosses' a coin or token that has two different sides. It gives you a choice... one side do this, the other side do that. As far as I am concerned, the phrase I used has nothing to do with being a 'potty-mouth',.(whatever that is but I'll take it as being offensive, thank you.) It simply means you don't care on which side the 'tossed' coin lands. It makes no difference one way or the other. To ask if somebody really gives a {content removed by mod}, is just asking 'do they really care, one way or the other'. If that's offensive to some narrow minded people, that's their problem, not mine. I don't expect an apology for having my totally innocent post censored , although one would be nice.

If that's offensive to some narrow minded people, that's their problem, not mine. I don't expect an apology for having my totally innocent post censored , although one would be nice.

Its an age related thing John, us older cachers seem to have a far more relaxed attitude to life, the universe, the correct use of linguistics, spelling and everything :blink:

If its any use I apologise prefusely for the intemperately swift action of a pre-colleague :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

edited for poor spelling - OUCH!!

Edited by dodgydaved

I once wrote an English to Cockney translator (I'm a genuine cockney, born within the sound of Bow bells and brought up in the East End). To do that, I researched on the web and found numerous word and phrase lists, and many of the words and phrases were just plain wrong. I mean, I grew up speaking cockney slang, so I know my onions on this area. And I think that this particular phrase comes from the cockney.

You mustn't believe everything you read on the internet.

The word "toss" is, I believe, entirely innocuous. Indeeed, there's a cache I did where at various points, you have to toss a coin to see which way you will go (now archived). It's when adjoined to the preceding two words (which, for avoidance of offence, I shan't repeat here, although the second of the two is "a") that the entire phrase became objectionable by the moderator.

In the case of the phrase objected to, although some internet sites give the "toss of a coin" as the derivation, others lean more towards the derivation that I think is correct, in which the word "toss" is also the root of the word "tosser", and a "tosser" is not usually thought of (in this context) as one who tosses a coin, but is one who tosses something entirely different, which I shall not explain, this being a family-friendly site.

I would refer you to the "Sideboard song" by Chas and Dave, which uses a variant of this phrase.

I'm sure Pharisee didn't mean to give offence, but sadly we live in a world where if *anyone* is offended by something, then it's offensive. Me, I'm only offended by people who take offence at things.

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/toss

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. We need a list of words that are regarded as taboo. Otherwise, how can we know which words must be avoided?

Edited by drsolly

In the case of the phrase objected to, although some internet sites give the "toss of a coin" as the derivation, others lean more towards the derivation that I think is correct, in which the word "toss" is also the root of the word "tosser", and a "tosser" is not usually thought of (in this context) as one who tosses a coin, but is one who tosses something entirely different, which I shall not explain, this being a family-friendly site.

Ah! As you are a self confessed cockney I assume you are talking about a merchant. :anibad:

We need a list of words that are regarded as taboo. Otherwise, how can we know which words must be avoided?

We could create accounts for an infinite number of monkeys, and set them lose on the forum with an infinite number of 'puters. Then all we'd need to do is scroll through the infinite number of posts making note of the words that were removed for being offensive.

If we had an infinite number of monkeys :(

If I misjudged the context of the post I edited, then I do indeed apologise.

Maybe we should get back on topic, and see if we can figure out who the new victim reviewer is

I'm getting the feeling that no one really cares...

Reviewers used to have celebrity status, now they are just people doing a job that no one else wants to do....

Mark

Maybe we should get back on topic, and see if we can figure out who the new victim reviewer is

I'm getting the feeling that no one really cares...

Reviewers used to have celebrity status, now they are just people doing a job that no one else wants to do....

Mark

Oh come on, don't forget reviewers are NOT just doing a job, they are unpaid volunteers GIVING their time for the benefit of the rest of us.

Mind you, it has occurred to me more than once recently that given the vast proliferation in geocaches being listed here that maybe Groundspeak's business model, which relies on volunteers, might be "creaking" a bit now. Maybe the time has come for them to actually employ full time, paid, reviewers, especially as the rules governing the activity become ever more complex.

Anyway perhaps that's another discussion. For now kudos to the new person and all the team, particularly to Castagnari for admitting he made a mistake and apologising.

Edited by The Hornet

Apology accepted with no hard feelings. In future, I'll think a bit more about what I type before hitting the 'AddReply' button :)

I do hope that this post won't be removed or deleted for being considered to be off-topic - I consider it to be entirely related to the subject in hand, but can someone tell me ...

how new reviewers get to be new reviewers? Is it something one can apply for, or is it one of those jobs where you have to know someone who already does it? What is the criteria? How long does a reviewer have to have been caching? How many must they have hidden/found?

I ask not to criticise, I am genuinely interested about how these things happen.

I do hope that this post won't be removed or deleted for being considered to be off-topic - I consider it to be entirely related to the subject in hand, but can someone tell me ...

how new reviewers get to be new reviewers? Is it something one can apply for, or is it one of those jobs where you have to know someone who already does it? What is the criteria? How long does a reviewer have to have been caching? How many must they have hidden/found?

I ask not to criticise, I am genuinely interested about how these things happen.

Link to knowledge book

At the start of almost every game/sport that involves two teams or individuals, the referee 'tosses' a coin or token that has two different sides. It gives you a choice... one side do this, the other side do that. As far as I am concerned, the phrase I used has nothing to do with being a 'potty-mouth',.(whatever that is but I'll take it as being offensive, thank you.) It simply means you don't care on which side the 'tossed' coin lands. It makes no difference one way or the other.

Potty-mouth is meant to be a humourous and mild insult and was meant ironically. Hence the ";-)" I put after it!

As for the original phrase, I take it to be derived in the way you understand. There is a more modern, ruder usage of "toss" but I think that this only appeared recently and has nothing to do with the slang phrase in question.

I suspect that the slightly stronger version "give a d???", even though regarded as only moderately impolite in the UK, will also attract the attention of US-minded mods. So I don't think it's possible to emphasise what you mean in this context. Apologies to castagnari who's already apologised for being heavy-handed (I think).

But back to the thread; at one time there was a guessing game about the reviewers' identities, as Ecky and Lacky kept their "real" geocaching names quiet for a while. With a much smaller number of cachers around, and most of the likely candidates for a reviewing job being forum regulars there was a realistic chance of guessing a new reviewer's "real" name.

Nowadays the game continues but I always find that I'd never heard of the geocacher in question anyway so it all seems a bit pointless.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Well lets hope that this Reviewer, is not as rude and objectionable as the two reviewers who have recently posted on a cache which I have read the logs.

Personally I found the tone and attitude of one of the reviewers to be somewhat disturbing, and publicly chastising a person is FAR from a good thing.