Significant Caches

Z3ROIN

Hi guys, i'm approaching my 100th cache and was thinking about doing some extra research to make it a special one. Do any of you guys do the same?

I'm still a relative noob but there are some of you out there with caches into the thousands. Do you do research into finding a 'special' one for significant caches regarding attainment, or is it just the cache that happens to fall on that number?

Cheers.

Hi guys, i'm approaching my 100th cache and was thinking about doing some extra research to make it a special one. Do any of you guys do the same?

I'm still a relative noob but there are some of you out there with caches into the thousands. Do you do research into finding a 'special' one for significant caches regarding attainment, or is it just the cache that happens to fall on that number?

Cheers.

When I was back in the hundreds, I'd usually try to find a cache that had something more special about it for my century milestones. My 1000th was at Sacre Coeur in Paris, and was my first find in France, and Europe for that matter. For my 2000, I'd already cleared out most of the really special caches around here, and I wasn't travelling, so I made it the Halloween event put on by a well-loved and respected local cacher. For the big milestones, most cachers will try to make it more special than just whatever cache you happen to be at. The most prolific cacher in my area (24,383 finds right now) made Groundspeak HQ his 10,000th, and the oldest cache in Nevada for his 20,000th while he was down there doing ET Highway 2.0.

By all means, do some research and find a cache that means more to you for your 100th. Congrats in advance for reaching that milestone!

Sometimes we do, most of the time we don't. For example, our 500th find was this one. It was just a cool puzzle cache for us to solve, down in Nebraska. For grins, we decided #444 was going to be significant, so we got something with three 4's in it, like this. Since we were on a roll with the numerology symbolism, we made our #666 something with 6's in it. Elev. 6666

:bad:

After those, we pretty much got lazy and gave up shooting for a specific cache for each milestone.

I'm in the mid 600's now. Only two of my milestones have been planned more than a day in advance. Number 100:

This is a special cache log for me for two reasons.

First, it's my 100th find.

Second: I had planned to use this cache for when I needed an easy find on a day to keep my streak of days alive, but when I started getting near 100, I knew I wanted to make this the milestone find. My Grandfather was laid to rest here in '06. I haven't been out to see him much, but this was a great time to visit. My Grandfather was a wonderful human being. He served in WWII well before I was born of course. He and my Grandmother had 4 children, 7 grandchildren and so far 5 great-grandchildren. He was always ready with a joke. He told me once he went to D.D.S. school, but not for dentistry. His D.D.S. stood for Ding Dong School. My grandparents lived here in Battle Creek until about 1990, when the moved to North Carolina for a while. I only got to see him for once or twice a year for the years they were gone, but they were fun times. When they knew his time was near, they moved back home so he could be near most of his family, including a couple surviving siblings. I/ we had about 2 years with him back home. His hearing was mostly gone by this point, so he wasn't involved in most conversations, but when he was, the jokes were right there with him. He died 22 days shy of his 79th birthday.

Thanks to gunner226 for this cache that will always have a special meaning to me.

and number 500, one of the oldest in Michigan GC651. I'll probably make 1000 something special, but I've got a while to think about it.

Ever since I got to cache 900 or was it 1000, somewhere around there, I have "tried" to make every 100 a milestone but sometimes its not worked out. If I do a 100 milestone, I try to log my caches in the correct order to make the best cache I did that day my X00 one. However, every 100 is not that a big deal as say every 500 or 1000 to me, those I will make a bit more effort on to find something.

The only milestone I mark is the next cache. Arbitrary round numbers mean nothing to me. However they do to many other cachers and I've seen everything from simply photos of someone standing at his x00(00)th cache with a hand written sign to a full blown event in honor of someone's x00(00)th find.

Edited by briansnat

Cheers.

If you care as much as you seem to in this MSG, by all means make every milestone special in some way. I look back at my stats and kind of miss the opportunities that are forever gone. I made some special and most were just the next count.

If it's not a significant cache, make it a significant event with family and/or friends at the find or special sign or banner or whatever. Follow your feelings.

I am proud of going 40 miles and one state out of the way for 500 and a couple thousand miles (well, I was there anyway) for 1000.

Edited by aurght

I have never planned milestones they aren't important to me but many people like to plan it. Actually at my age each cache is special since it means I woke up that day.

I am at 2,999 and the next one will probably be a LPC in a Walmart parking lot in Midland, Texas. We are RV'ing our way cross country and that is where we will be tonight.

Edited by Walts Hunting

Every time I've attempted to plan a milestone (multiple of 100), I end up miscounting, or not paying attention to my find counts, or just saying "ah, forget it, I'll just find a cache today" and that's that.

The lone exception was #1000. My father & I synced our activity (we live a couple hundred miles apart) leading up to a family vacation such that we both arrived at our vacation spot with 999 finds, so we tag-teamed #1000. The cache itself wasn't anything to write home about, but the coordination & self-restraint needed to make sure we both stopped at 999 before the trip was a bit tricky.

I have never planned milestones they aren't important to me but many people like to plan it. Actually at my age each cache is special since it means I woke up that day.

I am at 2,999 and the next one will probably be a LPC in a Walmart parking lot in Midland, Texas. We are RV'ing our way cross country and that is where we will be tonight.

Mark me as jealous.

My RV is still winterized. Itching for another roadtrip!!