Garmin Oregon x50 (WebUpdater) software version 5.30

dfx

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4523

Change History

Changes made from version 5.20 to 5.30:

Oregon 550.

I downloaded this updatelast night, all seems fine. But for the life of me, I cannot get the "geocaching with photos" feature to work. Opengeocaching just seems to wait. So this morning I followed the instructions to load my own photos. While the photos are in their own subdirectory, they show up under the photo menu item and I do not see the photo field:

ok Log Attempt

ok Show Description

no Show Photos

ok Show Logs

Anyone getting this feature to work?

Oregon 550.

I downloaded this updatelast night, all seems fine. But for the life of me, I cannot get the "geocaching with photos" feature to work. Opengeocaching just seems to wait. So this morning I followed the instructions to load my own photos. While the photos are in their own subdirectory, they show up under the photo menu item and I do not see the photo field:

ok Log Attempt

ok Show Description

no Show Photos

ok Show Logs

Anyone getting this feature to work?

Good question there. Just tried it, and yep it works, but only if the pictures are stored on the internal memory. SD card is a no-go.

Here's some screenshots. I added a random picture to a random unrelated listing. It also shows that the 450 has an accelerometer, as rotating the unit also rotates the image.

34013184.png 57706695.png 59398005.png 58635767.png 103mv.png

Edited by dfx

Thanks for the feedback dfx. Looks interesting! I'll try again when I get some time tonight. It seems that Opengeocaching is not writing to the 550. Looks like you did a manual download from Geocaching.com and not Garmin.

Well, yeah. For support on features on their website, you should really go to their forums :P

I think I will try this out tonight. I never loaded spoiler photos to the Oregon before. With respect to GC.com, is this very different to how it used to be done?

There never was any real support for that. What some people did (through GSAK macros most commonly) was download the pictures off the website, geotag them and load them as regular photos to the units. With the geotag, they would then show up on the same location as the cache itself.

With that new feature, the photos can now be directly linked to the cache listing. Of course, there's still no support for that on gc.com.

Has anyone had the lock on road issue since the new update?

You would think they would fix this before adding new features

I note the bug that ETA in a different time zone shows the wrong time zone is not fixed either

They're only really interested in introducing new features that work with their cache listing site. The last update added the feature of making the cache pages look like their website. Now we've got photos that are MUCH easier to transfer from their site.

I think we can now forget about bug fixes unless it promotes the 'other' site :(

it works, but only if the pictures are stored on the internal memory. SD card is a no-go.

I wish I'd read your post before I spent two hours wondering why I couldn't get it to work <_<.

Everything else works quite happily from the SD card, and that's the obvious place to put high volume requirements like images. Hopefully it's just an oversight and will be fixed sometime.

Interesting Zork V. Here is a reply to my query on Wiki:

I am having the same issue with my Montana 650, meaning this person is unable to do an auto download. I am hopeful that Garmin will provide an answer in the next few days. Earlier this evening I did receive an email from Garmin with a link to test the Garmin Communicator - it works fine but still will not download from the PC (internet) directly to the Oregon.

BTW, I have tried this feature using both Foxfire 9.01 and Internet Explorer version 8. Interestingly I can download geocache gpx files using Poiloader, GSAK and Geocaching.com, all without problem or difficulty.

Edited by phlatlander

Has anyone had the lock on road issue since the new update?

You would think they would fix this before adding new features

I note the bug that ETA in a different time zone shows the wrong time zone is not fixed either

I updated both of my Oregon 450's (one's my wife's) to 5.30 and I updated my 62s to the latest 3.80 version. After updating, I checked to see if the "lock on road" setting had changed on any of our three GPSr's. All three still had "no" selected which is the setting I had before the update. For what it's worth, when I updated to the latest version I made sure I had no GPX files on any of the handhelds we own. The updates went smoothly and no settings had changed.

They're only really interested in introducing new features that work with their cache listing site. The last update added the feature of making the cache pages look like their website. Now we've got photos that are MUCH easier to transfer from their site.

I think we can now forget about bug fixes unless it promotes the 'other' site :(

Sadly, I agree with this. Boo on Garmin.

Regarding unable to download pictures from Opengeocaching (new feature), I just received this email from Garmin:

"I spoke to some of my other representatives and we believe the issue with the Communicator Plugin. We have become aware that some customer's are having an issue uploading so we are looking into a fix for this. There will be an update to the program when the fix has been implemented. Thank you for your patience while we look into this."