Montana SW V3.80

Catch

Montana (WebUpdater) software version 3.80

Changes made from version 3.70 to 3.80:

Added Geocaching with Photos (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/01/geocaching-with-photos.html)

Improved the readability of the scale text on the course deviation indicator (CDI) while in night mode

Fixed issue with downloading certain voices from the Garmin Garage

Fixed issue with reviewing BlueChart® g2 depth points from the map page

Fixed issue with NMEA In

Ok, but I hope that this also can be automated by geocaching.com

Doubtful as they have never allowed downloading of pictures, but you never know...

It could be done with a GSAK macro, which I'm sure will appear shortly....

It is being discussed now about adding it to the Garmin export macro. They're trying to see if there is enough call to add it.

Experimenting with this one, but not a lot of success yet. Trying to get the example from the blog, but no success either (GPS is seen, but no comms).

Edit:

Succes!!! Correction though:

A geocache’s photos, JPEG only, need to be placed on the handheld’s mass internal storage in the following manner

(for the rest see the blog

Only then it works (for me that is).

Edit 2: since it came up on another board... for me "mass storage" is external memory, while the onboard memory is internal storage. So the blog is correct I would say, just me who is confused :rolleyes:

As for the "recipe", simply download the GPX and then save the pictures from your webbrowser in the directory (following the instructions in the blog). So for a PC it's right-click the picture, select Save As, and then put them in the correct directory.

Edited by taeke

Can any of you Montana owners set the satellite signal bars so that they're a colour other than purple?? I haven't been able to change mine and the colour scheme is extremely difficult to read. I was hoping 3.8 would fix the problem.

GeoBC

I think changing the HIGHLIGHT color does that.

Can any of you Montana owners set the satellite signal bars so that they're a colour other than purple?? I haven't been able to change mine and the colour scheme is extremely difficult to read. I was hoping 3.8 would fix the problem.

GeoBC

I think changing the HIGHLIGHT color does that.

Thanks for the answer, but where exactly can you access that option? I thought it was on the context menu when you're on the satellite view screen, but I can't see that option there. Could you perhaps describe how to do it, or post a screenshot? Thx.

GeoBC

I am just about done with Garmin for me it seems every update brings even worse problems. Not only have they not fixed the power off issue when using the Auto Cradle but now when i hit Go on a waypoint today when crossing into Canada I found the Unit is shutting off everytime you select a waypoint and hit Go. Just gets worse do Garmin not even look at these updates before they release them.

I am just about done with Garmin for me it seems every update brings even worse problems. Not only have they not fixed the power off issue when using the Auto Cradle but now when i hit Go on a waypoint today when crossing into Canada I found the Unit is shutting off everytime you select a waypoint and hit Go. Just gets worse do Garmin not even look at these updates before they release them.

I'm also still having the auto cradle problem where it does not power back on and crashes in the cradle. Also a problem with the wireless sharing to another unit, it selects caches that are far away instead of the closest and assigns a rediculous milage to them like 7961 miles away. You have to try 5 or 6 times before the nearest caches come up.

I'm also still having the auto cradle problem where it does not power back on and crashes in the cradle. Also a problem with the wireless sharing to another unit, it selects caches that are far away instead of the closest and assigns a rediculous milage to them like 7961 miles away. You have to try 5 or 6 times before the nearest caches come up.

The problems you describe above have been intermittently plaguing us since last summer, basically since the release. I'm a bit discouraged at this point despite the software teams excellent record of communication and commendable efforts. I'm beginning to think that the Montana might simply exists with a few "minor" bugs that never get addressed. It has, after all, been nearly 8 months since release and almost the same amount of time that these bugs have been reported.

The thing that keeps me using a dedicated handheld, Garmins in particular, is the knowledge that "Eh, the bugs will get worked out eventually". The Montana is such a great unit in most regards that it's been easy to overlook some of the annoyances. I'm trying to keep from turning the corner into pessimism regarding the same old issues but sometimes it's not easy.

Edited by yogazoo

Yogazoo, I agree with you that it is hard to give up on such a great unit, but this latest update which has killed my ability to hit Go on the navigate to function after selecting a way point has rendered the unit 100% useless unless i just want to look at a map and not actually navigate to anything.

I could live with the cradle issue, but this new issue is unacceptable. The fact that not everyone out there gets the same issues also suggests that there are different hardware versions out there with maybe Garmin having corrected some issues found in earlier Garmins. I am not convinced it is entirely a software issue. there are many out there on the same software as me that dont get gradle issues or the Go issue. Just food for thought, I am lucky i can send my unit back to REI anytime i want for a full refund if these 'updates' continue, but others are not so lucky.

The fact that not everyone out there gets the same issues also suggests that there are different hardware versions out there with maybe Garmin having corrected some issues found in earlier Garmins.

I'm of the opinion that user data is the wildcard here. That would explain the variability in issues. Not everyone has the same map data or amount of data running on their unit (custom maps both transparent and not, city navigator, Topo 24K, Birdseye, GPX files with all sorts of altered data). I don't think Garmin has figured out, at least on the Montana, how to make mutliple mapsets of all types plus aerial imagery work nicely together. There are alot of bugs left on the Montana and with just about every use I get to experience some strange behavior. BUT then again, I have all sorts of mapsets and aerial imagery crammed on a 16GB SD card.

ADDED:

My multiple mapset theory is supported when you have your Montana in Nuvi mode, the speed limit shows up on the maps screen if you have ONLY City Navigator enabled. As soon as you enable another mapset, lets say Topo 24K to see detailed terrain shading underneath the Navigator roads, the speed limit goes away. City Navigator is still the map with the highest priority but the unit gets confused with other maps enabled. It's a theory.

I'm not blaming all bugs on the maps but it sure would explain 1) the variability at which Montana owners experience bugs, and 2) the inability of Garmin to track down certain bugs for fixing.

Edited by yogazoo

I got hit by the famous "sticky" issue again today. The map didn't move, but the compass and distance worked fine, so I used that to find my waypoint.

Also another issue is that the navigation instructions quite often seem to lag. I simply follow the purple line, because the text in the blue bar is lagging 2-3 instructions :angry: Anyone else noticed this one?

Yogazoo, I agree with you that it is hard to give up on such a great unit, but this latest update which has killed my ability to hit Go on the navigate to function after selecting a way point has rendered the unit 100% useless unless i just want to look at a map and not actually navigate to anything.

Have you done any troubleshooting to see if you can make the problem go away? Perhaps connect the Montana to your computer, look for any .IMG files at the top level directory and temporarily rename them to something else (or move them to a "New Folder" temporarily). Now load up some map data for your area (to keep it small and quick to load onto the Montana) and see if your "GO" button problem goes away. That might be a good start.

I could live with the cradle issue, but this new issue is unacceptable. The fact that not everyone out there gets the same issues also suggests that there are different hardware versions out there with maybe Garmin having corrected some issues found in earlier Garmins. I am not convinced it is entirely a software issue. there are many out there on the same software as me that dont get gradle issues or the Go issue. Just food for thought, I am lucky i can send my unit back to REI anytime i want for a full refund if these 'updates' continue, but others are not so lucky.

When you say "killed my ability to hit Go" do you mean the Go button isn't there, or the unit shuts down when you hit Go, or something else?

There was a bug (fixed in 3.6.3 IIRC) where if you had your routing preferences set to ask you every time then the unit would shut down when entering the next stage of a geocache. Setting routing preferences to assume any particular routing method meant it didn't shut down. Obviously that doesn't absolve Garmin of the responsibility to fix it but that information meant they could home in on it much faster than having some users saying they had a problem and other users saying they didn't.