My Oregon 450 keeps crashing

howarthe

I just downloaded a bunch of caches into my Oregon 450, and now it won't power up. It starts to. I get the Garmin logo and then the copyright message at the bottom of the screen, and then it shuts down. I switched out the batteries, so I don't think it's a power problem, and it does the same thing when I plug it into the computer. Have any of you ever experienced this problem? How did you fix it?

I just downloaded a bunch of caches into my Oregon 450, and now it won't power up. It starts to. I get the Garmin logo and then the copyright message at the bottom of the screen, and then it shuts down. I switched out the batteries, so I don't think it's a power problem, and it does the same thing when I plug it into the computer. Have any of you ever experienced this problem? How did you fix it?

How did you download the caches to your unit?

I plugged the unit into the computer and I downloaded a pocket query and I dragged it to the GPS folder. Then, I also added a few by clicking on the little green icon (send to GPS receiver). That all worked fine as it had before, until I disconnected the unit and tried to turn it on. Now it shuts off before it gets through it start up routine.

I plugged the unit into the computer and I downloaded a pocket query and I dragged it to the GPS folder. Then, I also added a few by clicking on the little green icon (send to GPS receiver). That all worked fine as it had before, until I disconnected the unit and tried to turn it on. Now it shuts off before it gets through it start up routine.

GSAK, easyGPS, BaseCamp? Are you using any of these programs?

This usually happens when someone tries to use some fancy HTML in a cache description, or a corrupt download. Try removing the GPX files from the unit and then powering it back up. You may also have to remove the unit created GPX files in the "Current" directory of the GPS. I have also seen a bad memory card cause this.

I have had similar issues with a Magellan Triton 400 and a Venture Hc. It was software issues with both units, and both Companys replaced my units with refurbished ones. We are not alone. :mad: Garmin may have a update on their site. I'm using BaseCamp Beta and it has been a nightmare so far, I went back to EasyGPS, but only use VantagePoint to download to my Magellan 500. At one time there were writer issues with this site that was crashing the unit. :anibad:

I think this is an inherent problem with the 450.

We've had 'freeze ups' while on the field navigating between menu pages. We've had it lock up when booting up, we've had it take forever to boot up, etc.

Is your firmware up to date?

How many geocaches are you putting in it?

Have long have you had the unit? And is this the first time you've had this problem?

Have you done a complete DUMP of the files in the unit? (clear out all waypoints, etc)

How are your PQ's setup and how are you loading them?

For us - having the updated firmware helped a bit but not completely. We've discovered that wiping out all the data from the unit and reinstalling it worked best. My husband started using GSAK to load the Garmin.

No, I'm not using GSAK, easyGPS or BaseCamp. I installed Garmin Communicator on my mac, but I don't think I've installed anything on my GPSr except for caches.

How do I remove the GPX files, if the Garmin won't power up? Even when I plug it into my computer, my computer can't find it because it won't stay on.

I don't know if my firmware is up to date. I'm putting in less than 100 geocaches. I have had the unit more than a year, maybe two or three. This is the first time I have had this problem. I have had problems turning the thing on and off before, but it seemed to be a problem with the actual power button. I have to sort of roll my finger over it to get it to work properly. I have not done a complete dump of the files before, but I do remove some files on a regular basis. I remove my pocket queries regularly, and the other waypoint that I have downloaded, but I like to keep the waypoints that I have created with the unit. I often clear the current track and trip averages. I load my pocket queries by downloading the file that I receive in an email message and then dragging it and dropping it to the GPX file.

Could this be a water problem? I was using it out in the rain yesterday, but I thought these things were supposed to be tough that way.

No, I'm not using GSAK, easyGPS or BaseCamp. I installed Garmin Communicator on my mac, but I don't think I've installed anything on my GPSr except for caches.

How do I remove the GPX files, if the Garmin won't power up? Even when I plug it into my computer, my computer can't find it because it won't stay on.

I don't know if my firmware is up to date. I'm putting in less than 100 geocaches. I have had the unit more than a year, maybe two or three. This is the first time I have had this problem. I have had problems turning the thing on and off before, but it seemed to be a problem with the actual power button. I have to sort of roll my finger over it to get it to work properly. I have not done a complete dump of the files before, but I do remove some files on a regular basis. I remove my pocket queries regularly, and the other waypoint that I have downloaded, but I like to keep the waypoints that I have created with the unit. I often clear the current track and trip averages. I load my pocket queries by downloading the file that I receive in an email message and then dragging it and dropping it to the GPX file.

Could this be a water problem? I was using it out in the rain yesterday, but I thought these things were supposed to be tough that way.

Try doing a master reset as outlined here. A master reset will delete all user-defined data, so it would take care of a corrupt GPX file. If it won't even do that, you might be correct that it's an internal power problem.

Try doing a master reset as outlined here. A master reset will delete all user-defined data, so it would take care of a corrupt GPX file. If it won't even do that, you might be correct that it's an internal power problem.

Unfortunately a master reset doesn't delete any files, so the problem might persist even after that. If it does, it should be possible to use the "force mass storage mode" method, also described in the linked page, a bit further down.

HA! HA! You guys are the best! A Team's suggestion to do a master resent didn't work, but the link he sent me to also described how to put the unit into "mass storage mode" as mentioned by dfx, and that did the trick. I'm going to go get a card as myotis suggested. I didn't sleep all night worrying about this thing. Thanks so much for help. It's true what they say: geocachers are the nicest people.

Recovery #1 -- Forced USB Mass Storage Mode (only available in release 2.85 and after)

If your Oregon freezes during the startup process (i.e. Loading Maps...), and you've just loaded new maps or new gpx files then it could be the new files which are causing the problem. This procedure forces the unit into USB Mass Storage mode so that you can delete (or rename) these files. Follow these steps to recover:

1 Attach the Oregon to your computer via USB cable

2 The Oregon will power on and start to boot, immediately power the unit off while still connected

3 Power on the Oregon and continue to hold down the power button for 30 seconds

4 The Oregon should enter USB mass storage mode

5 From your computer remove or rename any gpx, map files (.img or .kmz) files that were recently added

6 Unplug the Oregon and power on to see if this remedies the problem

During step 3) you should only see the Garmin banner for 30 seconds followed immediately by the graphic that shows a computer connected to a GPS. If you see any other text such as your custom banner, banners for loading maps, waypoints, etc then you have not held down the power button long enough.