geocaching car commercial?

hukilaulau

That's it. Next stage is in the middle of the Atlantic!

So I'm not the only one that sees a set of lat/long coordinates and looks them up just to see where it's at. It sure looked to me like that guy was just tossing the container back into the lake so I looked at the video and stopped it at the point that they were retrieving the container under water. I looked like it was next to some sort of underwater pipe and might have actually been tethered to the pipe.

Oh wow! Okay, I guess I'm about a week late to the game, but I just saw this and I think it's pretty cool. Mosty just because last spring after looking around for a new family car (one that would get decent mileage on long trips as well as stop and go mileage when caching) and we ended up with the GMC Terrain. I guess I'm just tickled that the makers of MY car advertised with MY hobby. :D Feeling special and wanted to share, that's all.

Momma Caswell

About the tossing of the cache

I have heard of a cache in the middle of a plowed field camoed as a dirt clod with a rope attached thereto after finding and doing the signing swagging thing the finder was encouraged to "hammer toss" the cache elsewhere in the field. I wish I knew the name/code of the cache cause that would be a cool one to take a borderline cacher to do.

When it was found it did look like it had been placed with more care. But the commercial is limited in time they can't really get across the whole idea of how to cache properly in the 30 seconds as well as extoll the wonders of the shiny new vehicle. This may lead to new cachers doing it wrong. But there will always be the one percent who do things they see on TV even if it is wrong.

Edited by Cliff's Notes

Also I wouldn't go plugging flash drives that I found in a cache into my laptop and defiantly not into my car.

Ford is the first car company to go full tech. I was sitting in my living room when my laptop, for a moment, detected a new SSID. I did the little looking around on the web and it turned out to be a Ford SYNC system. Someone with Ford with their SYNC Wifi active drove past my house and for a moment I was able to ID them. It allows the passengers to connected to the Internet via a Wifi system built in to the car. I can see trouble ahead for people who don't know how to secure their Wifi or for people who don't even realize that their car is a mobile wireless access point. I hope that they never created a bridge from the PCM (the Computer that controls your car) to the wifi network. It would be cool to be able to monitor what the engine of your car is doing wirelessly on your laptop. But if your able to it then other people will be able to find a way to do it too.

Also I wouldn't go plugging flash drives that I found in a cache into my laptop and defiantly not into my car.

Ford is the first car company to go full tech. I was sitting in my living room when my laptop, for a moment, detected a new SSID. I did the little looking around on the web and it turned out to be a Ford SYNC system. Someone with Ford with their SYNC Wifi active drove past my house and for a moment I was able to ID them. It allows the passengers to connected to the Internet via a Wifi system built in to the car. I can see trouble ahead for people who don't know how to secure their Wifi or for people who don't even realize that their car is a mobile wireless access point. I hope that they never created a bridge from the PCM (the Computer that controls your car) to the wifi network. It would be cool to be able to monitor what the engine of your car is doing wirelessly on your laptop. But if your able to it then other people will be able to find a way to do it too.

I'm glad this commercial isn't endorsed anyway by Groundspeak because I would have been extremely upset and would have had a field day with it. I tried fighting tooth and nail to create a geocache with USB implementation. People that freak out about plugging flash drives into their computer humor me. Especially someone that geocaches, probably sticking your arms, legs and hands into random holes that you cant see the end of to find that elusive geocache. You got just as much chance of finding hypodermic needles in a geocache as you do finding a virus riddled flash-drive that will cripple your system. Even if it there was a virus or trojan on said flash-drive, if you have the proper security on your PC or Mac you're most likely won't suffer any serious consequences.

I'm glad this commercial isn't endorsed anyway by Groundspeak because I would have been extremely upset and would have had a field day with it. I tried fighting tooth and nail to create a geocache with USB implementation. People that freak out about plugging flash drives into their computer humor me. Especially someone that geocaches, probably sticking your arms, legs and hands into random holes that you cant see the end of to find that elusive geocache. You got just as much chance of finding hypodermic needles in a geocache as you do finding a virus riddled flash-drive that will cripple your system. Even if it there was a virus or trojan on said flash-drive, if you have the proper security on your PC or Mac you're most likely won't suffer any serious consequences.

I work at a large university. A couple of years ago there was a virus going around that was propagated using flash memory (not just USB flash drives). After it was reported by a few students there were about 40 scanning stations (running linux) set up around campus where students could have their flash drives tested an cleaned. Over the course of about 3 days, over 1500 flash drives (and even a few digital cameras) were found which contained the virus. When you consider the cost of having those scanning stations manned by employees for three days (instead of doing their regular job), even if no damage whatsoever to any PCs occurred, the cost of detecting and cleaning up the virus was significant and nobody was laughing.