Why do you log a DNF

Totem Clan

FWIW, my DNF-to-Find ratio is in the 8-9% range. That includes multiple DNFs for some caches, as well as caches that I initially DNFed but later found, but it doesn't include caches where I logged DNS (Did Not Search) notes.

If I reach GZ and search for the cache, then I log either a DNF or a Find. If I don't reach GZ, or if I reach GZ but don't really search for the cache for some reason, then I might log a DNS note if there's a story to tell.

I log a DNF when after I have gone to the given coordinates and attempted a search I was not able to find the cache.

I do not consider it an attempt if both criteria were not met(being at the coordinates and performing a search).

If I do not leave my car I personally do not consider it an attempt.

If activity in the area prevents me from performing a search I do not consider it an attempt.

Many people filter out caches that have recent DNF logs(without actually reading the log). Therefore I want to be accurate on my DNF logs. I went to the coordinates and attempted a search. To me anything less then that is disingenuous.

To me, it goes back to, I'll post a DNF log if doing so helps the community. "If I don't leave the car" or "activity in the area" could still be a valid reason for posting a DNF, depending on the reason why you didn't leave the car or what kind of activity you encountered.

For example, perhaps you drove to an area where a cache was located around noon and discovered that there were dozens of muggles at ground zero eating their lunch. I DNF log, which explained the reason for the DNF, would tell other cachers that looking for the cache around lunch time might not be a good idea. If, however, you drove into a park in the late afternoon and discovered a family having a picnic near the cache and decided not to get out of your car, posting a DNF doesn't really benefit the community because it would be the next cacher searching for it would probably not encounter the same activity.

If you're reluctant to post a DNF because you think it indicates that you failed, all I can say is "it's not all about you". The game of geocaching would not exist without the good will of other geocachers that expend time, energy, and money to place caches for others to find so it seems rather odd to play the game in a manner that seems to be only for your own personal benefit.

To me, it goes back to, I'll post a DNF log if doing so helps the community. "If I don't leave the car" or "activity in the area" could still be a valid reason for posting a DNF, depending on the reason why you didn't leave the car or what kind of activity you encountered.

For example, perhaps you drove to an area where a cache was located around noon and discovered that there were dozens of muggles at ground zero eating their lunch. I DNF log, which explained the reason for the DNF, would tell other cachers that looking for the cache around lunch time might not be a good idea. If, however, you drove into a park in the late afternoon and discovered a family having a picnic near the cache and decided not to get out of your car, posting a DNF doesn't really benefit the community because it would be the next cacher searching for it would probably not encounter the same activity.

If you're reluctant to post a DNF because you think it indicates that you failed, all I can say is "it's not all about you". The game of geocaching would not exist without the good will of other geocachers that expend time, energy, and money to place caches for others to find so it seems rather odd to play the game in a manner that seems to be only for your own personal benefit.

Best line of the thread thus far.

I will be the first to admit that when we do a long day cache run where we have found 70+ and had 5, 10 or more DNFs, occasionally one gets missed that doesn't get posted.

It has been noted repeatedly what a string of DNFs means, and that is probably reason enough to log them, however there are some other reason maybe not as evident.

- A cache that gets found occasionally, however has a few DNFs, can tell a cacher that it may be a little more difficult to find and they are less likely to give up after only a cursory look or posting a NM..

- A series of DNFs from a cachers with less than 40, 60 or even 100 may not carry as much weight with a CO as someone with 500, 1500 or 3000 finds. Sorry, however experience does count for something here.

- A descriptive DNF can help a CO decide if it truly is an issue, if the issue is permanent or temporary and if any action is needed.

- An active CO is more likely to read a DNF log than they are a note or found it log.

We have a cacher(s) in the area that are very proud of the fact they have no DNFs and often brag about it in the found it logs they post, if they post any text at all. While they do have a knack for finding caches others have troubles with, they also will work an area and there will be one or two cache that are relatively easy finds that start getting DNFs after they were there. Had they logged a DNF rather than just worry about a false sense of worth, subsequent comments like "searched for 45 minutes with no luck" or "Made 3 trips and no luck" may have been avoided since their knack is known.

Personally, I believe not posting DNFs is selfish and a disservice to the community as a whole.

I see a note being more helpful to the community in your examples then a DNF log.

Many people carefully plan caching trips. This can include filtering out caches that have recent DNF logs. Personally the criteria I use is if two out of the last three logs are DNF logs then the cache probably gets skipped. GSAK will do this without me ever actually seeing the content of the log. This is probably a major reason why my dnf/find ratio is below the usual average. If you had posted a DNF because of muggles and Bob had posted a DNF because it was raining and those were the last two logs, I'm probably skipping that cache and I don't think I'm the only person who does this. I also think that this 'skipping' is what may lead some cache owners to delete DNF logs.

So personally I do not want to potentially steer people away from a cache with a DNF log or possibly upset a CO with a DNF log unless I actually searched for the cache. But I have no problem posting a DNF if I did actually search at the proper coordinates and was unable to find the cache.

I think this is one of those cultural differences again.

Of course I can't speak for every cacher in europe germany/east germany/saxony, but looking at the caches you'll

notice there are not too many DNF's.

Seems like the people only post DNF's when they are sure it is missing or want to point out dangers.

Often, people contact the CO directly via email.

The thing is, that the caches here are still in good condition, because the people have learned to look for other signs than DNF's to evaluate a cache by just looking at the listing.

A friend of mine and I used to own a pretty (locally) famous cache, wich after 6 months had 118 Fav. points and 358 finds, but only 6 DNF's. (but 20 Notes)

http://coord.info/GC2PKP3

Edit to correct what cezanne pointed out.

Edited by Otis.Gore

I think this is one of those cultural differences again.

Of course I can't speak for every cacher in europe, but looking at the caches you'll

notice there are not too many DNF's.

Seems like the people only post DNF's when they are sure it is missing or want to point out dangers.

I do not agree. First, there are enormous differences between the habits in different European countries.

Second, the DNF rate also depends a lot on how frequently phone jokers and other help is used.

I'm logging all my did not finds (even multiple visits to the same cache), but need to admit that in recent years I avoided several dnf logs by

asking previous finders for help when I simply did not want to revisit a location and did not want to

damage the location any further (in addition to the damages previous visits of other cachers have led to).

I think that DNF logs are also important to evaluate whether the D-rating of a cache is appropriate.

If one encounters a D=1.5* cache with 50% DNFs accumulated over time, something is very wrong.

For evaluation the overall DNF rate for a cache (not a cacher!) it is important that the right log type is used and

that every visit is logged.

Cezanne

I really never thought about running the statistics of my DNF's...I log them pretty faithfully but then I'm a stickler for having an accurate accounting of my experiences, win lose or draw.

I discovered that I have logged 68 DNF's and 252 finds. Of those 68 there were 31 that I either returned and found or got archived because they obviously weren't there in the first place. So that leaves 37 that are my own failing, and which I have not yet redeemed myself on.

So my DNF rate is a little over 10%. I'm OK with that, if you were guaranteed to find every cache it wouldn't be as much fun, would it?

Seems like that 10% figure seems to pop up a lot in this game. 10% seems like the average for DNF's (if everyone is being honest). 10% is also oddly the percentage of Favorite points you are allowed per number of caches you have found. Which I think works out well, because in my experience about 10% of the caches I find are noteworthy enough to deserve a Favorite point (by my personal tastes, anyway).

In addition to the other reasons everyone has posted for logging DNF's, I have another to offer...I have on several occasions DNF'd caches that I still thought were awesome locations, regardless of whether I found the cache or not. These are places I would give a Favorite point to if I could, but I can't because I didn't find it. In those instances I still like to post a complimentary note in my DNF log, just to let the CO know that I appreciated the site and the adventure even if I didn't locate the container.

I will admit, though, that I don't always log follow up DNF's...that is, if I DNF'd it once already and I go back later and fail to find it again, I usually won't log that second attempt. Maybe at that point I'll put it on my watchlist to see if others are having trouble with it too...if someone logs a find maybe I'll go back and try it again.

Edited by Chief301

I'd say that the more appropriate question is, "Why not log a DNF?"

After all, logging a DNF has (as many have pointed out), multiple positive impacts, while not logging really has none, or the opposite.

I think too much is made of a perceived competitive or sports-like nature in geocaching. I've got a competitive streak in me, get across from me on a playing field or game board and you'll find out firsthand.

But geocaching? Geocaching is more like solitaire...

After all, logging a DNF has (as many have pointed out), multiple positive impacts, while not logging really has none, or the opposite.

I think too much is made of a perceived competitive or sports-like nature in geocaching. I've got a competitive streak in me, get across from me on a playing field or game board and you'll find out firsthand.

...... solitaite where everyone has to share the same deck of cards.

...... solitaite where everyone has to share the same deck of cards.

That right there is a reason to log a DNF aint it? To let others know what might be going on with the particular deck of cards we might be sharing?

The only reason I can think of to not log a DNF is if I really didn't search for the cache. Maybe I couldn't find the area. Maybe I got there, thought the area sucked, and didn't even try. Maybe my heart wasn't into it. In such a case, I don't know that I think a DNF would be approriate, as it implies that the cache could be missing. (A string of DNF's often indicates this, especially something like: F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F D D D D...) Obviously with high difficulty caches, a string of DNF's doesn't tell you much of anything, but I think some people use strings of DNF's to filter out missing caches, so I wouldn't really contribute to that unless I really did not find the cache.

I see a note being more helpful to the community in your examples then a DNF log.

Many people carefully plan caching trips. This can include filtering out caches that have recent DNF logs. Personally the criteria I use is if two out of the last three logs are DNF logs then the cache probably gets skipped. GSAK will do this without me ever actually seeing the content of the log. This is probably a major reason why my dnf/find ratio is below the usual average. If you had posted a DNF because of muggles and Bob had posted a DNF because it was raining and those were the last two logs, I'm probably skipping that cache and I don't think I'm the only person who does this. I also think that this 'skipping' is what may lead some cache owners to delete DNF logs.

So personally I do not want to potentially steer people away from a cache with a DNF log or possibly upset a CO with a DNF log unless I actually searched for the cache. But I have no problem posting a DNF if I did actually search at the proper coordinates and was unable to find the cache.

I was thinking the same thing too....i.e. a note would be fine. Another thing about a note - I like that I can go to My Profile > Geocaches > Write Note to get a list of caches where I left notes. I haven't figured out how to get a list of my DNF cache attempts.

I was thinking the same thing too....i.e. a note would be fine. Another thing about a note - I like that I can go to My Profile > Geocaches > Write Note to get a list of caches where I left notes. I haven't figured out how to get a list of my DNF cache attempts.

My Profile > Geocaches > Did Not Find

My Profile > Geocaches > Did Not Find

Oh DOH! I swear I must have looked at that list 6 times and didn't see it. Guess I expected it on the right and not on the left. :rolleyes:

As an observation I have noticed that anytime this comes up the percentage is just about 10% DNF for most of the cachers that log accurately.

Interesting. 10% seemed high, but I looked at my stats and my DNF rate is just over 10%.

To answer the OPs question, I log a DNF if I do a proper search and didn't find the cache. It alerts other cachers and the owners to a possible problem. As a cache owner, I've had caches go missing and unfortunately people not logging their DNFs so it takes much longer for me to find out and replace.

I've seen caches log a DNF when they didn't even get to GZ or there were muggles in the way. Personally I wouldn't log a DNF in this circumstance, but would probably mention it in my Found it Log.

another reason to log a DNF: When I have spare time, I like to scroll back through my logs and see what became of the DNF's. Often, my DNF was followed by a few more, and then by the CO either replacing the container or archiving the cache. I feel so validated. When my DNF was followed instead by a string of smileys, I know I need to try a little harder next time.

1193 finds, 265 DNF logs (I have multiple DNFs on some caches)

If I've made a good-faith effort to find the cache (this varies for me depending on the type of cache, local conditions, etc. so I have no hard definition of "good faith effort"), I log a DNF. If I make multiple trips, I'll log multiple DNFs.

Edited by dakboy

I have seen DNF logs that said "we were driving to the cache and the bridge was out 1.5 miles from the cache location". It wasn't helpful.

DNF means "did not find" with an implied "we looked for it".

I would not log a DNF in that case (though I likely would post a note to warn others who might want to use that bridge). But I've seen many people state that for them, the find starts as soon as they get in their car to drive to the cache. So while the definition of "looking" for a cache might be pretty obvious, different people have different views of when the search actually starts. Others have said it starts when they start walking and hit the find button on the GPS.

Personally I log a DNF when I get to GZ, and look and fail to find. If I can't get to GZ - because the bridge is out, or the area is temporarily fenced off, or whatever - I post a note. But I'm not saying that is the only answer.

I have seen DNF logs that said "we were driving to the cache and the bridge was out 1.5 miles from the cache location". It wasn't helpful.

DNF means "did not find" with an implied "we looked for it".

I would not log a DNF in that case (though I likely would post a note to warn others who might want to use that bridge). But I've seen many people state that for them, the find starts as soon as they get in their car to drive to the cache. So while the definition of "looking" for a cache might be pretty obvious, different people have different views of when the search actually starts. Others have said it starts when they start walking and hit the find button on the GPS.

Personally I log a DNF when I get to GZ, and look and fail to find. If I can't get to GZ - because the bridge is out, or the area is temporarily fenced off, or whatever - I post a note. But I'm not saying that is the only answer.

I probably would log a DNF in that situation. To me the hunt is more than just the search at ground zero. I believe the hunt starts the moment I hit GO TO on my GPS and if I come up empty regardless of the reason I log a DNF.

Knowing that a bridge is out a mile and a half from the cache certainly would be valuable information to me as a searcher, or as the cache owner. As the cache owner I may see the DNF and choose to disable the cache until the bridge is back in service, or perhaps I can provide alternate parking coords to bring people from a different direction. As a searcher knowing that what is likely the most obvious access point is not available is key information. I can look for another way in, or wait until the bridge is repaired.

I wish they would go back to using the blue frown icon for ones we log as DNF. That always gave me the push to try again!

:unsure:

????????

Mine still are the blue frown.

I was a little confused too. Mine also still show up as a blue frown.

Interesting. I just did a quick look and 2 that I had DNFs on are temp. disabled which could be why they don't show up as a DNF on my map. I'll have to check more later.

I wish they would go back to using the blue frown icon for ones we log as DNF. That always gave me the push to try again!

:unsure:

????????

Mine still are the blue frown.

I was a little confused too. Mine also still show up as a blue frown.

Interesting. I just did a quick look and 2 that I had DNFs on are temp. disabled which could be why they don't show up as a DNF on my map. I'll have to check more later.

On the map. Ok I thought you were talking about on the logs.

I think logging DNFs is important, so I usually log them. My logged DNFs to finds rate is currently at 15%. I log them so I'll have a record that I tried to find the cache. Some of my best geocaching stories involve DNFs.

There have been a couple of caches lately where either no one had ever found it, or it hadn't been found for awhile but no one had logged a DNF. So I went looking for them having no idea that anything was wrong. Once I logged my DNFs the cache owner checked and sure enough the caches were gone. Without logging DNFs or at least emailing the cache owner, there's no way for them to know there might be something wrong.

I've seen caches log a DNF when they didn't even get to GZ or there were muggles in the way. Personally I wouldn't log a DNF in this circumstance, but would probably mention it in my Found it Log.

Of course you wouldn't log a DNF, because you found it! How else would you mention it in the "Found it Log"? :blink::huh:

LOL. I mean the Found it log from my next succesful visit.

That's not helpful? If the turn off from a main road was 5 miles away from where bridge was out I could see that as quite helpful.

For this, I would post a note on the cache page, not a DNF. Definately helpful information.

That's not helpful? If the turn off from a main road was 5 miles away from where bridge was out I could see that as quite helpful.

For this, I would post a note on the cache page, not a DNF. Definately helpful information.

Just curious, why a note? You set out to find a cache and didn't find it.

I think it's how the individual views a DNF. There seems to be 2 camps - I got to GZ, I looked and I DNF; I started my trip with the goal of searching for the cache but I never accomplished that goal so I DNF. In terms of helping out the community, does it matter whether it's DNF or a Note?

The bridge thing happened to me on the way to a cache, but I found another access route. It took me a few miles out of my way but I ended up finding the the cache. I still thought the bridge being out due to construction was important and included the info in my Found It log, that way folks could save some driving time.

As long as that information is made available to finders I don't see why it needs to be a DNF vs. a Note. But maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by Solitario R

I think it's how the individual views a DNF. There seems to be 2 camps - I got to GZ, I looked and I DNF; I started my trip with the goal of searching for the cache but I never accomplished that goal so I DNF. In terms of helping out the community, does it matter whether it's DNF or a Note?

The bridge thing happened to me on the way to a cache, but I found another access route. It took me a few miles out of my way but I ended up finding the the cache. I still thought the bridge being out due to construction was important and included the info in my Found It log, that way folks could save some driving time.

As long as that information is made available to finders I don't see why it needs to be a DNF vs. a Note. But maybe I'm missing something.

A note could mean almost anything. A revisit to the cache, a TB or GC drop, a funny story tangentially related to the cache, an inside joke, an online discussion regarding the merits of the cache - there are dozens of reasons I've seen notes left. A DNF means one thing, that you set out to find the cache and didn't find it. As a cache owner, it is the DNFs that catch my attention. Same thing as a cache hunter. Notes and DNFs are not interchangeable.

Edited by briansnat

Are you trying to stir up trouble? They were looking for the bridge, bot the cache!

I should report you to the moderators!

Pulled these from another thread. Yes, I know this topic has been done before, but it seems that it needs to be done again.

OK, I do understand that it has it's advantages for other cachers,

and I can especially relate to the CO, who of course would want to know how his cache is doing.

The only point I don't get is why I as a cacher should log a DNF - I mean, I could also post a note explaining how I searched up and down and couldn't find it, instead of a DNF, and it wouldn't look so bad in my statistics...

Of course there are those who say the DNF's are part of the statistic, but I like my profile with it's (I think, not sure though)3 DNF's in 300 caches...I mean, a lot of DNF's kinda make you look bad, don't they?

(emphasis mine)

Oh boy.

I would personally look at that 1% DNF stat and say, "here is a geocacher that doesn't bother to log his DNFs, and is thereby hurting his local caching community". Logging DNFs is a POSITIVE contribution to the community. By NOT logging your DNFs, you are doing a disservice to other cachers and cache owners.

I proudly and diligently log ALL of my DNFs, which happen about 10% of the time.

My stats:

Found It!: 3,188

Didn't Find It: 303

Needs Maintenance: 64

Needs Archived: 49

So do you log them? Should you log them? Why?

I log DNFs when I do not find a cache. I really do not understand why the reason for posting a DNF needs to be questioned. As a cache owner how would I know if there was a problem without a DNF being posted and I also look at the experiance of the cacher posting a DNF, ir they have less than 100 finds I will for a more DNFs from experianced cachers before I make an inspection

It probably has been stated before, "If you looked and couldn't find it, log a DNF. If you weren't able to look due to muggles, parking, or any other reason that didn't allow you to actually look for the cache, write a note letting the cache owner and others that you were unable to look for the cache at that time."

DNF's let the cache owner and others know that there might be something amiss with the cache. A note will let the cache owner and others know that there might be a problem during a specific time or day with the cache and to plan appropriately for future hunts.

Don't be afraid to log a DNF, only you can see that stat or number. I have personally logged a DNF on a cache 3 or 4 times with no remorse or concern. This has allowed the cache owner to see that I was just not getting the concept of their cache and they emailed me asking if I wold like a hint or what I have done to help me figure out if I'm doing the right thing.

Don't be afraid of the "blue frownie".

Are you trying to stir up trouble? They were looking for the bridge, bot the cache!

I should report you to the moderators!

:laughing: To answer your question briansnot, it comes down to personal preference. For me, a DNF is something I log after a good search at GZ. For other things, like the missing bridge, I would post a note on the cache page AND maybe if I thought the situation warranted, would send a personal email to the CO as well so s/he could disable it. If it was a cache owner with 200 caches, I could see how sending a personal email would be a good idea. However, if it was a cache owner that was known to be responsive to notes, I probably wouldn't send an email right away.

Do we really want people logging DNFs everytime they intend to get to GZ but don't quite make it? Like, gee, I was driving to GZ and my MIL called and I had to call off the search. Or, was on the way to the cache, but it got too dark? Or too many muggles when I got there. Really, TMI for me. As a cache owner, I have had a few DNFs like this on my caches and it's kind of annoying. A bit like scrolling marquee is to some people. :lol:

Edited by The_Incredibles_
A DNF means one thing, that you set out to find the cache and didn't find it.
Are you sure about that?

To many of us, a DNF means we searched for the cache but didn't find it.

"I'm still only half-way done logging all the ET Highway caches."

"Huh? I thought your vehicle broke down and you called off the trip."

"Sure, but we set out to find the caches and didn't find them, so we have to log 1500 DNFs..."

briansnot

Typo or insult? The entire geocaching world waits with baited breath for your reply. Briansnat has won the coveted Geocacher Of The Year tropy for more years than I care to count, and is much respected in this community. Slights to his most estemed honor will not be tolerated. :mad:

I'm telling my Moderator!

(or not...) :lol::PB)

A DNF means one thing, that you set out to find the cache and didn't find it.
Are you sure about that?

To many of us, a DNF means we searched for the cache but didn't find it.

"I'm still only half-way done logging all the ET Highway caches."

"Huh? I thought your vehicle broke down and you called off the trip."

"Sure, but we set out to find the caches and didn't find them, so we have to log 1500 DNFs..."

If my car broke down doing the ET I certainly would log a DNF for the cache that had the active GO TO on my GPS. The rest no DNF because I wasn't actively hunting them.

If my car broke down doing the ET I certainly would log a DNF for the cache that had the active GO TO on my GPS. The rest no DNF because I wasn't actively hunting them.
See. Our criteria for logging DNFs aren't that different after all. It's just that we define "actively hunting" differently. I don't consider myself to be actively hunting a cache until I'm at GZ searching for the container.

Maybe it has something to do with all the caches I've found without a GPS receiver. When you never hit GO TO on a GPSr, it's hard to see that as the beginning of "actively hunting" the cache.

Or maybe not. I've met geocachers who always use a GPSr who log DNFs the same way I do.

I don't consider myself to be actively hunting a cache until I'm at GZ searching for the container.

So that means that you do not log a DNF if you encounter a multi cache where e.g. a sign is missing which is needed for getting the coordinates of the next

stage or of the final?

Cezanne