SAVED GPX FILES

Hi, sorry if this has been discussed before. I have been away from caching for quite awhile but I did do a search in the Forums for an answer to this, but was not able to find anything.

I use a program similar to GSAK to produce a statistics page for our profile page. In order to organize the statistics, one used to be able to go to Saved GPX Files in the right hand column near the Pocket Query options, and create a .gpx file of every cache we have ever logged. We recently have tried to do a little more caching again, so I want to update our profile statistics, but when I go to Saved GPX Files, it used to be very easy... you basically just clicked on that link, clicked on Upload File, and it would populate a .gpx file that was listed along with your current pocket queries. Once you had that file created, you could import that data into a statistics program and all was well.

Well, today, I have been really confused because now when I click on Upload File it asks me to Browse to find the file I need. What????? Can someone tell me what file I am looking for, and where it would be stored on my computer? In the search I did for this no one mentioned anything about having a problem about populating the .gpx file in the first place, and the use for this was primarily to transfer the data to a phone app. That is not what I am doing, although this first step would be the same for whatever ultimate use one wanted to do with the data.

Help, please? :unsure:

Hi, sorry if this has been discussed before. I have been away from caching for quite awhile but I did do a search in the Forums for an answer to this, but was not able to find anything.

I use a program similar to GSAK to produce a statistics page for our profile page. In order to organize the statistics, one used to be able to go to Saved GPX Files in the right hand column near the Pocket Query options, and create a .gpx file of every cache we have ever logged. We recently have tried to do a little more caching again, so I want to update our profile statistics, but when I go to Saved GPX Files, it used to be very easy... you basically just clicked on that link, clicked on Upload File, and it would populate a .gpx file that was listed along with your current pocket queries. Once you had that file created, you could import that data into a statistics program and all was well.

Well, today, I have been really confused because now when I click on Upload File it asks me to Browse to find the file I need. What????? Can someone tell me what file I am looking for, and where it would be stored on my computer? In the search I did for this no one mentioned anything about having a problem about populating the .gpx file in the first place, and the use for this was primarily to transfer the data to a phone app. That is not what I am doing, although this first step would be the same for whatever ultimate use one wanted to do with the data.

Help, please? :unsure:

I think you have it backwards. The Saved GPX Files section is where you can upload a GPX file from your computer to the site. It sounds like what you're wanting to do is download the "My Finds" pocket query. If you scroll down on the pocket query page, you'll see a button that says "Add to queue" under the "My Finds" section. If you click this, it will generate a pocket query containing all of your finds. You would then download the resulting GPX file to use with your stats program.

I think you have it backwards. The Saved GPX Files section is where you can upload a GPX file from your computer to the site. It sounds like what you're wanting to do is download the "My Finds" pocket query. If you scroll down on the pocket query page, you'll see a button that says "Add to queue" under the "My Finds" section. If you click this, it will generate a pocket query containing all of your finds. You would then download the resulting GPX file to use with your stats program.

Yep! That worked! I guess this action was outside of my memory retention as it stands these days... and that's not very long! Thank you! :D (not saying this was one of them, but my goodness! things are very different on the site than they were a year ago!)

Yes that works - but the other way around - uploading GPX files has not worked for a very long time. Can someone explain why it does not work?

The 'Upload .gpx' feature was developed to allow a way for iPhone users to get 'updated co-ordinates' into their devices. Now that puzzles and multi's can be changed individually, there is "no need for the feature".

I cant´t see why there "is no need for this feature".

I simply want to plan a route in GSAK with the caches selected in GSAK (not in a PQ afterwards on the website!!!) and upload the filter from GSAK to a file on the website, so it can be downloaded to my Iphone. I know it now is possible to correct waypoints on the website, but i don´t have the possibility to manualy edit the caches from the PQ. And the way the creting of routes is made on the website, is almost impossible to work with, if you have a route that NOT just is from one startpoint to en endingpoint.

And I can´t see what corrected waypoint has to do with creating/importing a route?

And the way the creting of routes is made on the website, is almost impossible to work with, if you have a route that NOT just is from one startpoint to en endingpoint.

You must have missed my response to your post in that other thread:

Just grab any point along the route and drag it to the road you want. If you use enough points, you can make it go anywhere you want.

I'm kind of with Whiteboy64 on this one. I want to drive to GeoWoodstock. There are roughly 18,000 caches between me and the event. Which means I extensively use GSAK to filter which caches I want to approach. I don't want to have to search through 18,000 caches worth of PQ's on my iPad to find 1 cache. I'd rather filter to 1,000 good possibilities, or even 100. By having the ability to upload my filtered GPX, then download to my iPad would make this so much better. I was rather upset to see that feature removed from the iPhone app. It was the only useful feature I found. Without it, I'm now back to paper'd caching.

I'm kind of with Whiteboy64 on this one. I want to drive to GeoWoodstock. There are roughly 18,000 caches between me and the event. Which means I extensively use GSAK to filter which caches I want to approach. I don't want to have to search through 18,000 caches worth of PQ's on my iPad to find 1 cache. I'd rather filter to 1,000 good possibilities, or even 100. By having the ability to upload my filtered GPX, then download to my iPad would make this so much better. I was rather upset to see that feature removed from the iPhone app. It was the only useful feature I found. Without it, I'm now back to paper'd caching.

not removed just moved.

It's under Search, no longer under Saved.

Go to main page where you search for caches and look at the bottom where it says POCKET QUERIES

After it is saved then you go back and retrieve them in SAVED

Edited by jellis

not removed just moved.

It's under Search, no longer under Saved.

Go to main page where you search for caches and look at the bottom where it says POCKET QUERIES

After it is saved then you go back and retrieve them in SAVED

For pocket queries, you're correct. However, for uploaded GPX files using this page (the subject of this topic), the feature is still there but non-functional.

Hmmmm - I can upload a GPX file to geocaching.com, and se it under saved GPX files. The files I can see on my phone is ONLY the pocket queries that are generated directly in geocaching.com. I CAN´T see the uploaded GPX files!

That's correct. That feature no longer works, as stated in the other topic you replied to here.

@Groundspeak: Can you please remove the redundant page at http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/saved.aspx? Since the feature has been discontinued, leaving the page there is just causing confusion.