Caves

Is it allowed?. If so the cave I want to hide it in has a small entrance that not every cacher can fit in. The cave by no means is dangerous its part of a park where I live and is rather famous. The total length is about 50 yards but its pitch black and not friendly to those who are claustraphobic. The organization that runs the park has given me the ok to hide a geocache there but I aint sure since the opening might not be big enough for all geocachers. Any info would be apreciated thanks.

If they said OK, place it, write the page up with a good description, and rate the terrain a 5, because they need special equipment, a flashlight at the least. That should be fine. But you have to decide if you will allow the more gravitationally challenged to log it, if the narrower framed cachers bring it out to sign. They might cry discrimination.

If no one is going to get lost inside the cave, like it's straight in and straight out the way you came, then I think that's okay.

I don't know what I'd rate it. If you have to have something more than a flashlight, then it might not be a one. If this is like, real spelunking, then yeah, make it a five.

I'd put in the description that it's in the cave. You have to go in to get it. Maybe someone can retrieve it for others, then put it back exactly where it was. But someone's gonna have to go and not everyone will fit. It would be nice to know who could fit (how small is small?) but it isn't necessary :) Every time I see something that's like "tight squeeze for bigger people" I go "Oh, that's me" even though I'm not really "big" :laughing: I've squeezed through some ridiculous things!

I would consider doing a cache like this! I've always been really interested by caves :) So if I could fit, I'd strongly consider going in if it was just crawling in and crawling out (no weird climbing or anything). You have permission, so go for it! Not all caches are accessible to all people :)

Depending on what part of the country you are in if the cave has bats it is probably prohibited to go into it. There is a big problem with white nose syndrome and many caves are restricted in an attempt to reduce the spread of the disease.

Based on the section below:

The organization that runs the park has given me the ok to hide a geocache there

I'd say it's probably not a problem, but good to check.

Some information regarding the fungus : http://www.fws.gov/WhiteNoseSyndrome/

One of the nice things about geocaching is that caches don't have to conform to any standards of accessibility. Not everyone can climb trees, yet there are plenty of tree climbing caches. Not everyone can swim or scuba dive, yet there are plenty of underwater caches. I could go on but hopefully you see the point. As long as you have permission, I wouldn't worry about it, those who can and want to get to it will, those who can't won't, simple as that. Just be sure to use the proper ratings and attributes as that is what they are for, to help people determine for themselves if a cache is within their means.

One thing to keep in mind is that unless the cache is literally just inside the entrance, it will have to be a multi since there is no GPS reception inside of caves. You'll also need to provide an accurate way for cachers to locate the cache from the last coordinates, weather it's a written description, a compass course, fire tacks, UV paint, etc.

I own this cave cache GC1D7G0 and have found this one GC1YV24 Hope to find more cave caches in the future.

One thing to keep in mind is that unless the cache is literally just inside the entrance, it will have to be a multi since there is no GPS reception inside of caves. You'll also need to provide an accurate way for cachers to locate the cache from the last coordinates, weather it's a written description, a compass course, fire tacks, UV paint, etc.
The guidelines require only accurate coordinates. They do not require GPS reception at the cache location. I've found a number of caches where there was no GPS reception at the cache location. It is still possible for cache owners to deliver accurate coordinates for such caches, and it is still possible for cache seekers to use accurate coordinates to find such caches.

I once owned a cache in an abandoned cellar, and to get in, we had to lift a 1t concrete block.

The entrance we produced by doing so was really small (I am 182cm at 80 kg...and I had trouble), plus, after the entrance there was a 1,5m drop (wich made it hard for short people to get out once they where in).

I had some complaints from people that wouldn't fit in...all I said was: "Well, sorry, but thats the way it is. If you want the entrance to be wider, bring a jackhammer and have a ball :P

Depending on what part of the country you are in if the cave has bats it is probably prohibited to go into it. There is a big problem with white nose syndrome and many caves are restricted in an attempt to reduce the spread of the disease.

We had a two-stage multi cache cave hide once. Narrow entrance, but you could stand upright inside. The narrow entrance seemed to spook more folks than squeeze them.

The coordinates took you to stage one, which had a hint on locating the container inside the cave. This satisfied the reviewer on the must use a GPS rule.

We archived it after finding it was a party area for the local kids, who grabbed the swag, but left the ammo can a couple of times. Greedy and lazy I guess.

The day before I picked it up, a friend emailed and asked why there were so many "white" bats there.

Sure enough, many were infected. A real shame.

Now that much of PA has had cases of West Nile, we depend on those bats more than ever.

personally I do not think crouching in a small cave, needing a small flashlight is by any means a terrain 5.

It's 50' in, you need a flashlight, that constitutes special equipment. Maybe terrain is not a 5, but without a flashlight, the difficulty is 5.

And when the light goes out and you hear a rattlesnake, the ratings go up. :laughing: I love cave caches. :P

personally I do not think crouching in a small cave, needing a small flashlight is by any means a terrain 5.

It's 50' in, you need a flashlight, that constitutes special equipment. Maybe terrain is not a 5, but without a flashlight, the difficulty is 5.

Scuba gear is special equipment.

A boat is special equipment.

Tactical tree climbing gear is special equipment.

A flashlight is pretty ordinary equipment that I always carry with me and anyone can pick up at the local dollar store. I would rate this cache any where from 2.5 to 4 terrain rating depending on how hard the cave is to access.

Is it allowed?. If so the cave I want to hide it in has a small entrance that not every cacher can fit in. The cave by no means is dangerous its part of a park where I live and is rather famous. The total length is about 50 yards but its pitch black and not friendly to those who are claustraphobic. The organization that runs the park has given me the ok to hide a geocache there but I aint sure since the opening might not be big enough for all geocachers. Any info would be apreciated thanks.

Sometimes allowed, yes.

Be sure that you know there are no sensitive flora or fauna in the cave, and that there are no local restrictions on activities inside it. So long as you prepare the finder for what is coming, and make it clear to the Reviewer that you have proper permissions and the cache meets other guidelines...it will likely get published.

Ya'll see the article in Time Magazine talking about the bats dying in the millions in the North East of the USA? Some sort of fungus spreading across the bat population. It's evidenced by white fungus on their noses.

It's in the issue with a picture of Obama on the cover and the headline of "Obama's World". January 30, 2012 is the date on the upper right corner which is weird as today is only the 22nd. How's that work?

Anyway, the article makes the bat genocide look pretty worrisome. Look for massive insect infestations to come and ruin some cache hikes, oh and our food crops.

A flashlight is pretty ordinary equipment that I always carry with me and anyone can pick up at the local dollar store. I would rate this cache any where from 2.5 to 4 terrain rating depending on how hard the cave is to access.

I agree with ZeLoneWolf. A flashlight shouldn't be "special". It seems like most people carry a flashlight for caching and if they don't, then I've seen a lot of people use the light from their cell phone screen.

If I see a 5, I ignore it because I think it's either extremely strenuous physically or you have to have "special" equipment like scuba gear or be able to do some spectactular rock climbing with ropes and harnesses and so forth.

I wouldn't want to skip over this because I thought it was like, real spelunking when really the hardest thing (provided you fit) is if you're claustrophobic :unsure: :unsure:

I agree with ZeLoneWolf. A flashlight shouldn't be "special". It seems like most people carry a flashlight for caching and if they don't, then I've seen a lot of people use the light from their cell phone screen.

If I see a 5, I ignore it because I think it's either extremely strenuous physically or you have to have "special" equipment like scuba gear or be able to do some spectactular rock climbing with ropes and harnesses and so forth.

I wouldn't want to skip over this because I thought it was like, real spelunking when really the hardest thing (provided you fit) is if you're claustrophobic :unsure: :unsure:

Meh. Use the clayjar system honestly, and you'll be in better shape. Then, if finders note that it was a tougher cache than listed due to x, y, or z...then adjust the ratings.

yea theres no bats. this might not be a cave as many people perceave a cave. first off theres no where that you can stand. most people would have to crawl on there belly most of the way. you cant turn around. you go in and either back yerself back out or continue on to the other side where there is another entrance or exit. depending on which way ya went in.you go down you go up you go left and right. its tight small and rocky.

Meh. Use the clayjar system honestly, and you'll be in better shape. Then, if finders note that it was a tougher cache than listed due to x, y, or z...then adjust the ratings.

Being not smart I had to Google that to find out what it was :laughing: (and it worked!)

Very nifty! :) Glad I learned about that today.

Hmm. It's also linked on all of the new cache submission pages. Check out the blue link bar within the ratings section of the page: "(1 is easiest, 5 is hardest. Try this system to rate your cache.)"

Wow, I'm surprised it doesn't get seen as much as I thought. That certainly explains something...

The knowledge books give a very good background on why the "ClayJar" system and why it should be used. It certainly is intended to "normalize" the ratings systems across the world. While subjective, they can help narrow down what those stars mean.

I disagree. You could say the same thing for a night cache, but they're not 5* difficulty, either.