SUBMITTED (33265) - [BUG] Garmin Communicator Plug-In and Mac

macfuddl

I'm having the same issue as stantistic, et al above: In the last few days the "send to my gps" link on Safari on my Mac suddenly and maddeningly stopped working. Very very annoying as I wasted hours following their instructions (reset security settings, reload plug in, etc) to no avail. Crome, nothing. On Foxfire however I did manage to get it to work though you are redirected to the non-working Safari loop several times in the process. Basically you have to say it's ok with you that Foxfire allows Garmin to snoop on you through the security settings. I understand an appreciate the security concerns, but no warning it's going to happen and no working "exceptions" tab is just ridiculous...Aw well, for years I used .gpx and GSAK to sort through pocket queries to find the caches I wanted but I've gone back to picking out caches one by one now that 85% of new caches are basically park and grabs...Thanks to statistic for the solution.

edexter

It's always nice to know that YOU aren't the only one suffering from some computer problem and that your misery is shared by others :blink:

So far I haven't seen any new Garmin Communicator updates nor any Safari updates. Since GC does work with Firefox, it's easy to assume that it's NOT the plug-in that's the problem, but something new (buggy?) with the latest Safari. Meanwhile, for single cache downloads, I just save each .gpx file to my desktop and then drag them to my O650. It IS a pain. For larger grabs, I resort to GSAK's "Get geocaches..." ability and the Garmin Export macro, which is still working just fine.

Ok update after a to a frow with Apple and Garmin.

Garmins answer was download version 4.2.0.0 which is a old update but their most recent.(lol 2014). They then said change settings on Mac blah blah blah.

Safari wont allow the Garmin plugin due to security plain and simple.

So Apple have spent some time on the phone with me to get a work around. Which ended in downloading Firefox and running the Geocaching website through that. Now I can load the caches up as i always have after I alloewed te plugin to work on fox.

Garmin will need to update there plugin before it will run on Safari.

So if you dont want to download GPX files and just send it direct get Firefox.

Hope this helps some people.

I have the same problem. Since Safari 10, Communicator plugin doesn't work with Safari. It is blocked by some security control. At the plugin security preference for Safari there is this statement. "Garmin Communicator Plug-in Version 4.2.0.0" does not support the highest level of security for Safari plug-ins. Websites using this plug-in may be able to access your personal documents and data.

Communicator is a security risk and it will stop working in all browsers. No use trying to work around the issue after every update. The only thing the plug-in does is download the GPX file and save it to the correct GPS folder, any user should be able to do that him/herself. Added bonus: that method is future proof. B)

The only thing the plug-in does is download the GPX file and save it to the correct GPS folder, any user should be able to do that him/herself.

Wrong. Works only for newer GPS units and for PMs.

I was answering mpulele who is PM. Main point is Communicator is end of life and it's time to move on and use another method.

The only thing the plug-in does is download the GPX file and save it to the correct GPS folder, any user should be able to do that him/herself.

I was answering mpulele who is PM. Main point is Communicator is end of life and it's time to move on and use another method.

You wrote in what I cited "any user" - that's the only reason why I commented.

I have not yet found any other method - the key issue is to obtain the GPX file (there are alternative methods to send such files to older GPS units).

It would be very helpful if Groundspeak offered a way to get the file that is sent by send to gps in some other manner than via send to gps -

that's an issue not at all connected to the life cycle of the communicator software.

I have not yet found any other method - the key issue is to obtain the GPX file (there are alternative methods to send such files to older GPS units).

It would be very helpful if Groundspeak offered a way to get the file that is sent by send to gps in some other manner than via send to gps -

that's an issue not at all connected to the life cycle of the communicator software.

To avoid further nitpicking:

Communicator is "end of life" and everybody should get used to using another method to get their caches onto their GPS (be it LOC, for members, or GPX file, for PM) in the correct folder (depending on make and model).

I hope there are now no more mistakes in this answer, if there are, I'm sure you'll let me know. :ph34r::rolleyes:

Not that I'm bothered by the communicator problems, PQ's, API and GSAK with macros is all I've ever used since I started caching.

Communicator is "end of life" and everybody should get used to using another method to get their caches onto their GPS (be it LOC, for members, or GPX file, for PM)

The intent was not nitpicking at all. It seems that you are not aware of the following subtle difference.

The loc file (the one basic members can directly download) is more or less useless. What a basic member gets with send to gps is a reduced gpx file - it does not contain the cache description (for which I have no use anyway) but all waypoints.

I'm not aware of any other method for basic members to get that file.

So let me repeat again: The feature that would help a lot of people (both basic members and those who cannot use the methods you suggest for whatever reason) is

a way to get what send to gps delivers in an alternative way.

I will use the Communicator as long as possible. If in the end it cannot be avoided to become a PM, I will certainly not do it any day earlier than absolutely necessary.

Edited by cezanne

To avoid further nitpicking:

Communicator is "end of life" and everybody should get used to using another method to get their caches onto their GPS (be it LOC, for members, or GPX file, for PM) in the correct folder (depending on make and model).

I hope there are now no more mistakes in this answer, if there are, I'm sure you'll let me know. :ph34r::rolleyes:

Not that I'm bothered by the communicator problems, PQ's, API and GSAK with macros is all I've ever used since I started caching.

Sorry If I write this wrong, folks, but I never know how to make a comment on a thread. It usually goes to the wrong place. :}

Anyway, It is a given that those of us who had a 'way' of loading caches are running into major time consuming efforts trying to find a work around with garmin and send to gps from computers. I have Mac as well and sure enough, was in a rush to load some stuff before going out of town and ?????..I am so glad it didn't happen before my major europe trip!

I have tried doing the GPX file button but it puts an icon on my desktop. When I drag it to gps it is an exe file. Basecamp isn't helping either but I am trying to figure it out with it.

We all agree there is a problem. Can ANYONE write down step by step how to place individual caches onto the gps for me? I usually can figure out techie stuff but this one has me pulling out hair. I could do a PQ, but sometimes I only want 5 or 6 caches (cub scout hike) to load.

Maybe Garmin should post it someplace for their users.

Thanks,

RRC

I have tried doing the GPX file button but it puts an icon on my desktop. When I drag it to gps it is an exe file.

Something's definitely wrong with that. Are you given the option to open the file (in addition to saving if to the Desktop)? If so, when you open it directly, does it have the usual text of a GPX file?

I've never tried this on a Mac, so I can't provide specific steps to fix it (nor explain what causes your issue). On a PC, click the "GPX File" button, save the GPX file into the "Garmin/GPX" folder of the GPSr. I'm guessing it's not a whole lot different on a Mac. But if you get it working, please post the process that works.

Since PQs work for you, you can add all 6 caches to a "Bookmark List". Make a PQ of that list, and load them all at once.

Edited by kunarion

For the gpx file button: now that i have opened basecamp, the files on desktop are opening in basecamp when I click on them. When I tried to drag them to gps it is only an EXE file (unopened, I guess).

I only see how to bookmark from the search area list but I would have to look at each one individually or on the map the first 1,000 option to figure out which one I want. When I go to 'map the first 1,000' I don't see a bookmark option. Typically when I want certain ones I go on the map and choose the cache, read it, decide if I want that one, and I used to send to gps...which of course doesn't work, then look at the next, and the next in the path I am taking.

I am finding that when I click on GPX file button that basecamp opens automatically (now). The caches are being put in 'my collection'. I will try and take those to the gps when I have them all in. I have used BC off and on so maybe this will be a work around, just another step added but maybe better than placing on desktop. I will post later when I have time to go for it.

For the gpx file button: now that i have opened basecamp, the files on desktop are opening in basecamp when I click on them. When I tried to drag them to gps it is only an EXE file (unopened, I guess).

Basecamp can send the files as GPX, into the proper folder on the GPSr. So that would be a work-around until you solve the "EXE" mystery.

Basecamp can send the files as GPX, into the proper folder on the GPSr. So that would be a work-around until you solve the "EXE" mystery.

Yes, it seems if I open basecamp, hit the gpx file button it goes to my downloads corner AND desktop (set up for downloads) if I click either it goes to my basecamp 'my collection'. When I am done I highlight all the caches in my collection and up at the top of basecamp hit send to gps. It worked. All info is on gps as it should be. I am writing my steps for anyone after me who has had the same issues. A work around that works. All you need to do is download basecamp.

I like being able to see what I am doing and that it is all going to basecamp, where if I drug it to gps I wouldn't know until I unplugged and rebooted gps to look at geocaches.

I suppose it would work for non-premium members as well.

Yes, it seems if I open basecamp, hit the gpx file button it goes to my downloads corner AND desktop (set up for downloads) if I click either it goes to my basecamp 'my collection'. When I am done I highlight all the caches in my collection and up at the top of basecamp hit send to gps. It worked. All info is on gps as it should be. I am writing my steps for anyone after me who has had the same issues. A work around that works. All you need to do is download basecamp.

I like being able to see what I am doing and that it is all going to basecamp, where if I drug it to gps I wouldn't know until I unplugged and rebooted gps to look at geocaches.

I suppose it would work for non-premium members as well.

I have a Garmin Oregon 450 and just went through all the Garmin and Edge doesn't support your unit etc., so finding out I can no longer just send to GPS like I used to, I have to go to each individual cache page and select GPX File, then "Save As" and just save it straight to my Garmin's "GPX" folder. Worked great with the exception it just takes longer to do.

I have a Garmin Oregon 450 and just went through all the Garmin and Edge doesn't support your unit etc., so finding out I can no longer just send to GPS like I used to, I have to go to each individual cache page and select GPX File, then "Save As" and just save it straight to my Garmin's "GPX" folder. Worked great with the exception it just takes longer to do.

In another thread one of the GS lackeys (a Groundspeak employee) indicated that they have been working with Garmin to replace the plugin that is being blocked by most browsers with a new solution that will replace that functionality, and that they're fairly close to having that complete. Unfortunately, the new tool/plugin will only work with Garmin devices (sorry Magellan users, but blame Magellan for not collaborating with GS on this).

In another thread one of the GS lackeys (a Groundspeak employee) indicated that they have been working with Garmin to replace the plugin that is being blocked by most browsers with a new solution that will replace that functionality, and that they're fairly close to having that complete. Unfortunately, the new tool/plugin will only work with Garmin devices (sorry Magellan users, but blame Magellan for not collaborating with GS on this).

so great to hear they are working on it.