SUBMITTED (33265) - [BUG] Garmin Communicator Plug-In and Mac

macfuddl

Hello

Today I installed the brand-new Garmin Communicator Plug-In 64 Bit.

My device (Etrex Vista HCX) is marked as found, but sending a cache to the device does not work.

No error message, no beep, just the line saying "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/GarminGpsControl.plugin/Contents/Resources/GPX10toGPX11.xsl"

I run this on Mac OS X 10.7.2 with Firefox 9.0.1.

With Safari 5.1.2, the plug-in says "Geocache GC<xxxxx>.gpx saved successfully", but the cache is not sent.

Is the new plug-in not supported by Groundspeak yet?

I am getting the same error with my Garmin Etrex 20 on Mac 10.6.8 and Chrome simulating Mac Safari 4. I can't use Chrome because it can't even see the Etrex at all (though garmin.com says I'm hooked up with no problems). I know this worked on 12/28/11 because I was able to load geocaches on my Etrex then, but now I am getting this error (just logged on again yesterday). I don't think anything has changed on this end, so...

1. They are aware of the problem.

2. If you have a 62s (or any other modern unit) you don't really need the communicator. Just run a PQ and copy it to the GPS, which shows up as an external drive.

Hi I just got my new Garmin etrex 10 in the mail and I am having the same problems. I have a MAC and had to install this communicator, which does not work. I do not know what you mean to run a PQ and copy it to the GPS. Can you explain this to me. All I want to be able to do is go to what geocache I want on my garmin and click on the link beside the cache name and have it work. Help please. Explain what you mean-run a PQ?

Sorry I figured out PQ is pocket query. So I tried that and it didn't work. Is this something that is going to be fixed because I just went out and spent money on a Garmin so I could go to geocaching.com and load my geocaches. I am wondering why this isn't working? Whose end is the problem? Garmin? Or Geocaching.com?

If you could help me specifically with the steps how to get this loaded on my Garmin that would be great

Okay so I was reading more and the only thing I have found that works is go to the geocache I am interested in. Open it up. Download gpx file to my desktop. Drag it to the garmin showing up as an external drive. But then I had to go into that garmin drive and move it to the gpx folder. Crazy. Only took me 40 minutes to do all that for four caches. There must be a simpler way. Too many clicks and drags.

Garmin has confirmed that the issue with Send to GPS on Mac is due to problems with the Garmin Communicator plug-in:

The 4.0.1.0 version of Communicator Plugin for Mac has an issue that causes some of the transfers from geocaching.com and opencaching.com to fail. This issue will be fixed in a future release of the Communicator Plugin. In the mean time, please follow the instructions below to resolve this issue:

• If you are using Firefox, make sure to remove any extension or add-on version of the Communicator Plugin.
  • Download and run this beta that fixes the geocache transfer issue. This test page should indicate that the plugin version is 4.0.1.1.

Garmin has confirmed that the issue with Send to GPS on Mac is due to problems with the Garmin Communicator plug-in:

The 4.0.1.0 version of Communicator Plugin for Mac has an issue that causes some of the transfers from geocaching.com and opencaching.com to fail. This issue will be fixed in a future release of the Communicator Plugin. In the mean time, please follow the instructions below to resolve this issue:

• If you are using Firefox, make sure to remove any extension or add-on version of the Communicator Plugin.
  • Download and run this beta that fixes the geocache transfer issue. This test page should indicate that the plugin version is 4.0.1.1.

Same happens to me, until I installed the version 4.0.1.1.

Why has Garmin not updated to this version in their web? I found out today they my Communicator was out of date and installed the new version, but it did not work. Finally I found this thread and could install the new version (beta, OK) and things are all right now.

Also wikiloc failed with version 4.0.1.0., 4.0.1.1 seems to be working.

Thank you for the fix.

:)

This message really made me happy. As a newbie (bought my 1st garmin 2 days ago) I also had this Garmin Communicator Plug-in problem. Been trying many things for 2 days without success. Now everything's working fine on OSX with Safari as wel with Firefox. THANK YOU!!!!

Hi,

I discovered the same problem and it remains even with the new communicator 4.0.1.1 (complete restart of course!).

As well on Firefox, message:

"Garmin/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/GarminGpsControl.plugin/Contents/Resources/GPX10toGPX11.xsl"

as on Safari, message:

"Geocache GCxxxxx.gpx saved successfully"

but nothing saved!!

Is there any workaround until the bug will be fixed by a new (and hopefully working) communicator version!??

>> Does that only happen on one particular cache? Which one? Or does it happen with all caches? <<

It happens on all caches.

I installed now the old communicator version 3.0.1 and it works fine - but only with safari.

So I'll keep this situation until a new version of the communicator is released and it will work fine with both browsers (safari + firefox).

I am using a new Garmin eTrex 30 with the most updated firmware. Unable to "send to GPS" using the most current versions of Firefox, Safari, and Chrome with either the Garmin Communicator 4.0.1 or 4.0.1.1 plugin on OSX 10.7.3. I end up getting a modal window which tells me that I do not have the correct plugin installed. The window defaults to DeLorme and does not allow me to click on any of the other tabs.

Howdy,

Well, I just downloaded and installed 4.0.1.1 and even did a restart as well as clearing Safari's cache but no happiness on the test page. Sigh...

Good Luck,

herbs2

I have located the source of the problem with my setup. Hopefully, this will help a few others out there. I did a lot of thinking and disabled my antivirus application on my machine. Everything worked fine. I am using Intego VirusBarrier X6 for Mac. I was able to determine that it was specifically the "information hiding" feature that was keeping me from being able to use the "send to GPS" feature. I have since disabled that specific feature and everything works fine.

I have located the source of the problem with my setup. Hopefully, this will help a few others out there. I did a lot of thinking and disabled my antivirus application on my machine. Everything worked fine. I am using Intego VirusBarrier X6 for Mac. I was able to determine that it was specifically the "information hiding" feature that was keeping me from being able to use the "send to GPS" feature. I have since disabled that specific feature and everything works fine.

Howdy,

No anti-virus software running on my system and 4.0.1.1 won't work with Safari. It seems to work with Fire Fox.

Good Luck,

herbs2

Howdy,

No anti-virus software running on my system and 4.0.1.1 won't work with Safari. It seems to work with Fire Fox.

Good Luck,

herbs2

Howdy,

Sigh... I forgot that I have the `Click to Plugin' extension for Safari installed. That keeps plugins from operating unless you click on a symbol. The Garmin plugin is faceless so you can't tell it's operating. Once I turned this off 4.0.1.1 worked and the test page found the GPSr.

Sorry for the noise

Edited by herbs2

Hi everyone-

If you're still having issues with google chrome on a mac then maybe I can help.

I was having the same problems as everyone else where I had to use Firefox and a rollbacked version of the plugin (3.0.1.0) in order to get everything to work properly with my navigator. I switched over to Google Chrome recently and I didn't want to have to keep switching over to Firefox to add caches though, so I found a solution that allows everything to work correctly in Chrome for Mac for anyone that is interested.

Initially, when I tried to add a cache the website said that my browser was not supported.

-->Solution: Add the extension User-Agent Switcher for Chrome and change your settings so that when on geocaching.com the website thinks you are using another browser such as Safari, Firefox, etc., pretty much anything but the default (Google Chrome). I think everyone knows this already by now.

After this was done, geocaching.com could detect my GPS navigator and then gave me the option to "Write" to my GPS. Great! But when I tried that it gave me another error, one that I had experienced previously in Firefox (No error message just the line saying "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/GarminGpsControl.plugin/Contents/Resources/GPX10toGPX11.xsl"). Plugin version 4.0.1.0 didn't work for some apparent reason and I had to rollback to 3.0.1.0 in Firefox to get it to work, and after receiving the same error in Google Chrome I assumed I had to do the same thing again. The problem was there was no previous version that could be downloaded for Chrome and the only website I found linking to it just linked to the Garmin website and that only offered the most recent version of the plugin, which was 4.0.1.0 and that was the plugin with the problem.

-->Solution: I then isolated the plugin files that Firefox was using for 3.0.1.0 and, because plugins work universally between Firefox and Chrome, I added it to the Chrome plugin directory (Macintosh HD/Library/Internet Plug-Ins) and voilà! it works. I now had Google Chrome working perfectly with my GPS navigator on geocaching.com.

tl;dr, If you're still having problems adding caches via Google Chrome on a Mac, install User-Agent Switcher for Chrome extension and add the plugin files for (3.0.1.0) to (Macintosh HD/Library/Internet Plug-Ins).

Hope this helps

Edited by CAL222

If you're still having problems adding caches via Google Chrome on a Mac, install User-Agent Switcher for Chrome extension and add the plugin files for (3.0.1.0) to (Macintosh HD/Library/Internet Plug-Ins).

Hope this helps

Hi,

like you, I abandoned firefox for chrome some weeks ago and with safari I'm unable to save caches to gps.

I tried to do as you suggest and now with chrome it works smoothly!

Thanx a lot!

Jello

I also was having the same problem. Happened when I updated my Nuvi maps and it updated all my garmin software. It took me several tries but what I discovered is you have to remove ALL old Garmin software off your computer first BEFORE installing the beta version that Groundspeak is talking about in their link. Once I had all the old stuff removed, worked no problem in both Safari and Firefox. I had to go into both Library and Applications and run a spotlight check to find and delete them.

I'm also not able to send to GPS on a Mac with 10.7.3, but I am on a Mac with 10.5.8. I think this is because it is looking for the plug-in in the wrong place from what I can till looking at this./Users/name/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/ifa67tlz.default/extensions/{195A3098-0BD5-4e90-AE22-BA1C540AFD1E}/plugins/GarminGpsControl.plugin/Contents/Resources/GPX10toGPX11.xsl. There is no Library folder in the users folder for 10.7.3 but is in 10.5.8. The Library folder in 10.7.3 is located in the hard drive. The file GarminGPSControl.plugin is now located in hard drive/Library/internet Plugins.

Recently I am unable to send a GPX to my Garmin Oregon 450 from the Send to GPS button.

Pop Up loads up, finds devices, hit 'Write' and its reported that the file was successfully written.

Looking on the Garmin in the GPX folder (where they are normally saved) there is no file.

I've tested writing a file to the GPS (when mounted on the desktop) and this works fine, so I assume the device is OK.

The Garmin browser plugin was updated recently, and I have the latest firmware on the device.

Using OS X Lion 10.7.4 with current version of Safari.

Is there are known issue or are others seeing this same issue recently ?

Also a feature request... can we have a GPX instead of the old LOC file as the file type for downloading multiple caches from the web page ? Thanks.

Just followed your instructions and works great now. Thanks!

*note to developers* Feel free to contact me if you need beta help / feedback. FYI I also have a windows 7 machine (guess which OS I like better though :-)

For what it's worth, I solved my problem by using the original USB cable that came with my Garmin Oregon 450 instead of a different USB cable with the same ends.

My Garmin worked just fine initially, then I went on vacation, though I was being smart by only bringing a single cable with the same ends for all my devices (cameras, GPS, etc) and brought a non-Garmin supplied cable. Using the non-garmin cable allowed my device to be powered but not mount on my computer and as a result not be recognized by the GarminGPScontrol.plugin or Garmin WebUpdater.

I can now verify that my Garmin Oregon 450 works with Safari using the following...

- Mac OS X 10.7.4

- GarminGpsControl.plugin version 4.0.3.0 (installed in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins)

- THE GARMIN-SUPPLIED USB CABLE!!!!

Happy again.

Not sure if this is the same problem .. but it's similar and this is the closest I could find .. so:

Me: Win 64 / Firefox / etrex 30. Have owned the etrex for about a month or so and a few weeks ago successfully downloaded 5 caches via the Send to GPS link. Before downloading the 1st cache it got me to download the plugin etc etc .. all good. Tonight, as I'm packing for my week long holiday leaving tomorrow, I decided to download some caches at my holiday spot and nada. What happens is that when I click the Send to GPS button, the pop-up comes up on the Garmin page saying "The plug-in was not unlocked successfully". All options are greyed out apart from the link to try the latest plugin. If I follow that link it checks and says communicator plugin is successfully installed and up to date (Version: 4.0.3.0.) BUT it then says that the Garmin is not detected (it's connected) and to reconnect it and refresh page. Nothing. Same problem. I've rebooted and rerun the entire process but same gig.

If anyone can give me some urgent help please and let me do some caching on my holiday I'd be very grateful!

Thanks

Ros

I have an etrex20 and up until yesterday I was able to download caches from the site fine. Today I have an error msg that says The plug-in was not unlocked successfully - I've uninstalled and re installed the plug in and updated all software updates that may be needed and still nothing. Others have also had this issue it would seem... soooooooooooo is there a fix? Using FF29.0.1 regularly but doesn't matter b/c it's doing the same thing on Chrome and IE too. Please help as I was planning on taking my Mom out on her first geocaching trip THIS WEEKEND and this kinda throws a wrench into that plan. <_<

I have had the same issue "The plug-in was not unlocked successfully" whilst trying to download caches from the map to my Colorado 300 ( windows 8.1 and firefox) also tried on a pc running windows 7 and chrome - same error message and with a different. However I was able to download the caches successfully from the list rather than the map which is a big pain and takes way longer....really hope this gets fixed very soon.

Like the previous two people, I am getting the same "The plug-in was not unlocked successfully" message when trying to send from the map page to my etrex Legend HCx. However, it will still send from the cache information page itself. I have recently updated Firefox to v29. I had previously disabled updates and was using v26 (I think), which worked fine. The Garmin Communicator Plugin website detects which version I have, plus what GPS device I have fine.

Thanks Groundspeak...all better now, although I had to initally clearly all the history and cookies from the PC to make it work.:rolleyes:

How was this issue resolved? I am having a similar problem when attempting to transfer individual geocaches to my Garmin Oregon from my PC. The Send to GPS wizard indicates "Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected. Download and install now." But when I go to the Communicator Plugin page it indicates "You have Communicator Plugin. Up to Date, Version 4.2.0.0" and it properly identifies my connected device. Any suggestions? ~Jon

I am having the same problem. I get the Message "Garmin Comminicator Plug is NOT detected" etc. I have reinstalled Plug In and my units show at the Communicator Plugin page. It says "You have Communicator Plugin. Up to Date, Version 4.2.0.0" and it properly identifies my connected Device.

I have oregon 600 which has worked just fine until today. Now it says garmin communicator is not installed. It is. I have installed it over and over and still get same message. It will not let me download coordinates. I am using a Mac and safari. I tried Chrome same message. Help...my GPS is useless.

I have oregon 600 which has worked just fine until today. Now it says garmin communicator is not installed. It is. I have installed it over and over and still get same message. It will not let me download coordinates. I am using a Mac and safari. I tried Chrome same message. Help...my GPS is useless.

Looks like the latest Garmin Communicator Plugin 4.2.0 and the NEW Safari 10.0 are incompatible on the Mac. I'm having the same problem -- and now running OS X Sierra. I DID notice that somebody had tried it with Firefox, so I tried it as well -- and it worked. I did not try Chrome. I have also not tried sending caches to my O650 from GSAK running under Windows 10 in Parallels, but I would imagine that it would still work there (still have not tested it though). There IS obviously a problem as it stands, but I can see Garmin pointing fingers at Apple (& Safari) and Apple pointing fingers at Garmin. I'm sure it will get worked out -- we'll just have to wait. If you DO want to send caches to your unit one at a time, you'll have to find another way. Or as suggested as a workaround, create a PQ and just drag the .gpx file to your unit...