Deleting of posts

GeoBain

Something else occurred to me and this is probably tied to the upgrade and new reporting facilities.

Mods used to participate more as well. When the angst level began to rise, they would caution everyone to calm down. If the topic began to veer they would steer it back on track. Keystone has always been excellent in this regard.

But it seems to be less moderating these days and more censoring after the fact.

With the new report button I can see how things could shift to a reactionary rather than proactive.

I personally prefer proactive moderation.

You're not crazy. This forum is and has always been heavily over-moderated.

I think the opposite is true.

For the most part, the forum moderators let us say whatever we like, and sometimes the tone of the discussion becomes argumentative.

It is a fine line to decide when some speech is an attack or just a simple disagreement over a matter of personal taste.

That being said, you are all fine people and I enjoy hearing your thoughts about geocaching and seeing your pictures of geocaches.

I suspect the difference in perceptions here is directly related to differences in definition of the term, "moderating". In my view, almost all moderating should be done by a post or a PM by a moderator saying, "simmer down, folks." That, to me, is moderating. Keep things running smoothly, on an even keel should very rarely mean throwing bricks at the users. That is punishment, not moderation. Sometimes punishment is necessary, but rarely. Editing or deleting posts is probably about the only way of moderating after the fact, if the behavior was inappropriate enough that we wouldn't want new users to stumble across the uglier stuff.

As go your OP, GeoBain... I suspect that your perfectly harmless (even useful) posts were deleted because after the other editing was done, yours would only have been confusing without the context. Just a guess.

Something else occurred to me and this is probably tied to the upgrade and new reporting facilities.

Mods used to participate more as well. When the angst level began to rise, they would caution everyone to calm down. If the topic began to veer they would steer it back on track. Keystone has always been excellent in this regard.

But it seems to be less moderating these days and more censoring after the fact.

With the new report button I can see how things could shift to a reactionary rather than proactive.

I personally prefer proactive moderation.

but during the time of the previous forum software when i inquired i was told every time that the "report" feature works fine

i guess i was right and it wasn't working fine after all

A snip of a recent post from Sandy (in another thread).

Name-calling, sarcasm, accusations, suppositions, rants and laughing at each other are not permitted.

There goes 90% of the fun of participating in here. :(

seriously?...and how exactly are they going to detect sarcasm? :lol:

i can't laugh at each other?...what if i laugh at a friend of mine? :huh:

A snip of a recent post from Sandy (in another thread).

Name-calling, sarcasm, accusations, suppositions, rants and laughing at each other are not permitted.

There goes 90% of the fun of participating in here. :(

Thats why we got Off Topic. Its our little playground. Wanna play nice? :laughing:

That might actually explain some of the recent happenings in OT. :(

Sarcasm and laughter is what makes OT, as long as it's done in the loving, jovial way it used to be done. But I have to admit that it's been a little rough in there lately and I have played my part. But I'm trying to do better. :wub:

In my view, almost all moderating should be done by a post or a PM by a moderator saying, "simmer down, folks." That, to me, is moderating. Keep things running smoothly, on an even keel should very rarely mean throwing bricks at the users. That is punishment, not moderation. Sometimes punishment is necessary, but rarely.

I guess that is what I miss.

To go back to the kids in a playground analogy used earlier, it's like the parents have dropped us all off and then went shopping. When they get a call from one of the other passer byers, they come back and put everyone in the corner. But what should happen is that there should always be some parents (mods) around so that when someone throws sand or takes someone's shovel, they can correct the behavior as it happens instead of waiting until a fight breaks out and then sending everyone to bed without supper. :(

how exactly are they going to detect sarcasm? :lol:

It's probably a good idea to keep the sarcasm to a minimum in the main board. But in OT, sarcasm used to be part and parcel of the OT culture. But most of us knew everyone in there was kidding. Now you just don't know. It feels like the main board. It should be like the arts and craft room but it feels like the classroom where you have to be proper all the time.

Maybe with the influx of people that's the way it has to be. But it sure is sad to see the good 'ole days slip away. :(

I am not a moderator here, but I do moderate other forums. Sometimes, when I have to clean up a thread, I end up hiding messages that didn't themselves violate the TOU. However, these messages were posted in reply to messages that did violate the TOU, and without the TOU-violating messages, they make no sense. I assume that the authors of such messages would rather have them hidden, than for me to leave senseless non sequitur posts visible in the thread.

I don't know that that is what happened here, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Now that I think about it, it makes sense. Both of my posts would be kind of odd once the posts they were referring to have been hidden. But I'm still more concerned about the overall change in moderating style that has occurred.

I really would prefer that there be someone in the boards around the clock to proactively keep up with what's going on and correct it as it happens so that it does not get to the point where people have to be officially warned, posts hidden, or threads deleted.

Again, going back to the kids analogy, they are not nearly as likely to get out of hand when Mom or Dad are around as they are when they know no one is watching then at the moment.

Correct as it occurs and it should not get out of hand. If people ignore your corrections, then boot them from the thread or give them a time out. But I know for a fact that when mods are active on boards that the posters stay in line and it is much more peaceful. The other benefit is that when they are active and not just showing up to slap hands, that posters get to know them and respect them and often will alter their behavior just because they know what that mod expects and they don't want to upset a friend or put the friend in a position of having to get on to them.

how exactly are they going to detect sarcasm? :lol:

It's probably a good idea to keep the sarcasm to a minimum in the main board. But in OT, sarcasm used to be part and parcel of the OT culture. But most of us knew everyone in there was kidding. Now you just don't know. It feels like the main board. It should be like the arts and craft room but it feels like the classroom where you have to be proper all the time.

Maybe with the influx of people that's the way it has to be. But it sure is sad to see the good 'ole days slip away. :(

Ditch the sarcasm and become a class clown. :ph34r:

I am not a moderator here, but I do moderate other forums. Sometimes, when I have to clean up a thread, I end up hiding messages that didn't themselves violate the TOU. However, these messages were posted in reply to messages that did violate the TOU, and without the TOU-violating messages, they make no sense. I assume that the authors of such messages would rather have them hidden, than for me to leave senseless non sequitur posts visible in the thread.

I don't know that that is what happened here, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Now that I think about it, it makes sense. Both of my posts would be kind of odd once the posts they were referring to have been hidden. But I'm still more concerned about the overall change in moderating style that has occurred.

I really would prefer that there be someone in the boards around the clock to proactively keep up with what's going on and correct it as it happens so that it does not get to the point where people have to be officially warned, posts hidden, or threads deleted.

Again, going back to the kids analogy, they are not nearly as likely to get out of hand when Mom or Dad are around as they are when they know no one is watching then at the moment.

Correct as it occurs and it should not get out of hand. If people ignore your corrections, then boot them from the thread or give them a time out. But I know for a fact that when mods are active on boards that the posters stay in line and it is much more peaceful. The other benefit is that when they are active and not just showing up to slap hands, that posters get to know them and respect them and often will alter their behavior just because they know what that mod expects and they don't want to upset a friend or put the friend in a position of having to get on to them.

I hate to say this, a few of the mods arent really around here anymore. I feel its time for fresh mods to take their place. I checked a few of the mods a while back and they havent log anything for mouths. I wont name them. The one the are active on the board are the one I really respect. The rest, I feel like they are lazy.

You know... it would sure be great if besides the Report button, the forum also had a Like button.

I can't tell if you're serious or not... :unsure:

Nope... I was serious. And Likes would eventually negate bad reports, which, I've learned, stick around with you forever. Even auto insurance eventually forgives past accidents, and some give you points for good driving.

Thanks for the humor, those who have inserted it. Appreciate it!!

Briansnat, that was great!!

The Off topic forums have been rougher lately, and there were many cases I would have liked to see even more moderation.

Someone mentioned recently that it's in the guidelines to not discuss politics and we've had a lot of political threads that have really changed the tone in there.

There's a good reason for that guideline and many others.

There are rules everywhere you go, it's just that we're not aware of them at the time.

If you go into the grocery store, there are rules you have to adhere to. No shoving stuff into your pockets (even if you're going to pay for them), no screaming, yelling and throwing merchandize on the floor, no waving guns around, etc.

In here there are rules and I'm grateful for that.

Things get rough enough in here WITH these rules. If the rules weren't here I wouldn't show up.

Think about what you say and you shouldn't run into this problem much.

Now and then we all make mistakes, but that's what the moderators are here for.

These people are trying to keep this a nice place to play.

Think about all the times people complain about how rough it gets in these forums. We get a whole lot of newbies complaining about people reacting badly to them in here. Imagine how bad it would get without this moderation.

They're human, they make mistakes sometimes too, but we need these guys.

I come here to play, but we are adults, so we need to take hand-slaps like an adult and be responsible for our own inappropriate content, and understand that they do make mistakes too.

I come here to play, but we are adults, so we need to take hand-slaps like an adult and be responsible for our own inappropriate content, and understand that they do make mistakes too.

I try to behave like an adult and try to treat others respectfully, but I also like to be treated like an adult and not like an immature child. Forum rules, intervention and even mistakes of moderators are one thing, being referenced as a kid that is allowed to play on a playground is another.

I can understand why many people refer to geocaching as a game they play, but I need to admit that I cannot understand what's behind regarding discussing in a forum as playing.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Someone mentioned recently that it's in the guidelines to not discuss politics and we've had a lot of political threads that have really changed the tone in there.

really, where?

there is no such thing mentioned in the guidelines :lol:

but this really made me ROFL

While this forum is called "Off Topic", please keep this guideline in mind:

Keep on topic:

doh :blink:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=78445&view=findpost&p=1052907

the way they enforce the "keep on topic" is the most ridiculous i have ever seen....helloooo discussions always have and will have ramifications, while going way off is not good i feel the moderators here take it to an extreme

Edited by t4e

I try to behave like an adult and try to treat others respectfully, but I also like to be treated like an adult and not like an immature child. Forum rules, intervention and even mistakes of moderators are one thing, being referenced as a kid that is allowed to play on a playground is another.

I can understand why many people refer to geocaching as a game they play, but I need to admit that I cannot understand what's behind regarding discussing in a forum as playing.

Cezanne

This is why it's so difficult for mods. Also why some posts may end up being reported. The different interpretation of the written word where tone is added (or not) by the reader, not necessarily the writer. You have clearly taken offence to what Sandy said whereas I took it as a metaphor and didn't find it offensive in the least. Different strokes and all that.

Rules and/or guidelines should be clear and concise. Vague things like "in the spirit of" or "family friendly" are open to individual interpretation and what one poster or even mod considers a breach others would not. If there is no grey area, there can be no confusion as to why things were locked or removed. Every other forum I use (and there are quite a few, some for which I am a mod) will have a mod or admin come in to the controversial discussion, warn people to settle down or whatever, if it continues then contact posters directly about their behaviour or inappropriate content and as a final straw for repeated offending, lock the thread or remove a post if it is warranted. It is a little unnerving to have posts disappear moments after reading them which has happened to me recently here.

As a newcomer I see geocaching as a game/hobby/recreational pursuit. This forum is primarily discussions of and about a game/hobby/recreational pursuit. Although from reading through some of the threads it is apparent that some people do perhaps (IMHO) take it waaaay too seriously.

Rules and/or guidelines should be clear and concise. Vague things like "in the spirit of" or "family friendly" are open to individual interpretation and what one poster or even mod considers a breach others would not. If there is no grey area, there can be no confusion as to why things were locked or removed.

Unfortunately, rules/guidelines that are clear and specific often are long, detailed, and full of loopholes. "Family friendly" might be vague, but most people understand the gist. And just try to come up with a concise definition for that phrase that isn't grey.

Rules and/or guidelines should be clear and concise. Vague things like "in the spirit of" or "family friendly" are open to individual interpretation and what one poster or even mod considers a breach others would not. If there is no grey area, there can be no confusion as to why things were locked or removed.

That would be assuming that every post content is clear and concise. Since we are dealing with people, including the Mods, experience, in addition to setting the rules, takes precedence.

Cezanne

You have clearly taken offence to what Sandy said whereas I took it as a metaphor and didn't find it offensive in the least. Different strokes and all that.

not at all, don't forget that this is a worldwide game and the forum is accessible to many for whom english is not their first language, they don't know all the metaphors of the english language

as such, moderators and staff, more than anyone else, should be sensitive and use language that will not be open for interpretation by those that are not native to english

i know cezanne has a very good command of english and still took offense, now think of the others

really, where?

Check section 8 of the forum guidelines: LINKY

Cezanne

You have clearly taken offence to what Sandy said whereas I took it as a metaphor and didn't find it offensive in the least. Different strokes and all that.

not at all, don't forget that this is a worldwide game and the forum is accessible to many for whom english is not their first language, they don't know all the metaphors of the english language

as such, moderators and staff, more than anyone else, should be sensitive and use language that will not be open for interpretation by those that are not native to english

i know cezanne has a very good command of english and still took offense, now think of the others

My point was not that Cezanne shouldn't have been offended, I simply quoted that post in an attempt to highlight the way in which one post can be taken to have different "tone" by comparing Cezanne's reaction to it to my own, as a backup to my point which was that different people interpret things differently. Different strokes for different folks still applies in my opinion. I repeat, that is why it is so difficult for mods. Not only how everything gets posted is open to individual interpretation but also the regional language barrier thing and many many other reasons. You can please some of the people some of the time but never all of the people all of the time.

I think because of where I am from where traditionally many of us are a little irreverent and sarcastic (and I suspect Sandy may be from here too but I could be completely wrong there), I personally (note personally) interpret some of the things some people post in here, and I am not/would not directing this at anyone in particular, as condescending but that is MY interpretation and not necessarily the intention of the poster so I wouldn't comment or shoot someone down because of it...what if I am mistaken and end up looking like a super sensitive goose? I also don't have the benefit of being a long time member and having gotten a feel for the style of other regulars.

Nothing I ever post on a forum would ever be intended as a flame or a swipe at someone, if I wanted to express my personal displeasure that would be done via pm or email and not on the boards.

Cezanne

This is why it's so difficult for mods. Also why some posts may end up being reported. The different interpretation of the written word where tone is added (or not) by the reader, not necessarily the writer. You have clearly taken offence to what Sandy said whereas I took it as a metaphor and didn't find it offensive in the least. Different strokes and all that.

As I said before, based upon my experience in these forums, I am not so certain that was simply a metaphor. And by that, I am not simply referring to actions that I have been the recipient of, personally. I can't speak for somebody else's reality, but I can speak for my own, and that is that the appearance of moderation here is very often that of a parent/child relationship, and not an adult/adult one.

Cezanne

As I said before, based upon my experience in these forums, I am not so certain that was simply a metaphor. And by that, I am not simply referring to actions that I have been the recipient of, personally. I can't speak for somebody else's reality, but I can speak for my own, and that is that the appearance of moderation here is very often that of a parent/child relationship, and not an adult/adult one.

Huh. I never made the connection.

Cezanne

Huh. I never made the connection.

Neither did I but then again, as I said, I've been here about 2 minutes compared to others and I have not had the same experience (yet?). I will admit that this forum does seem very heavily moderated compared to the others I frequent but as I usually come in after the ruckus has died down and lots of stuff has been removed I don't know whether it was called for or not. Thanks for putting that comment up, it gave me a different angle to consider this topic from.

really, where?

Actually, that refers to post with a political agenda, not necessarily a political topic or theme.

really, where?

pffft yet again another loosely worded guideline, same as for the caches

threads or posts perceived to have been made

I can't speak for somebody else's reality, but I can speak for my own, and that is that the appearance of moderation here is very often that of a parent/child relationship, and not an adult/adult one.

i wish i had a dollar for every time i asked that we're not being treated as a child :lol:

Edited by t4e

Neither did I but then again, as I said, I've been here about 2 minutes compared to others and I have not had the same experience (yet?). I will admit that this forum does seem very heavily moderated compared to the others I frequent but as I usually come in after the ruckus has died down and lots of stuff has been removed I don't know whether it was called for or not. Thanks for putting that comment up, it gave me a different angle to consider this topic from.

Heavily moderated is not always a bad thing.

really, where?

Actually, that refers to post with a political agenda, not necessarily a political topic or theme.

Correct, but a lot of the political threads do have an agenda.

However, tolerance is something I'm learning to be a good thing. Being a bit OCD I used to find myself reading every thread that was posted. But I'm learning to be selective in what I read. Since we are all able to make that choice it really should not matter if there are threads about topics we don't care about. Just skip 'em.

No I suppose not, but then again some may consider that it isn't necessarily a good thing either (again with the different stokes theme). I haven't yet decided which side of the fence I sit in relation to moderation styles and levels on this forum. But watch with interest.

This is true; especially if it is proactive in nature.

It's when the mods come through with the admin bricks and whiteout that it becomes a problem.

really, where?

Correct, but a lot of the political threads do have an agenda.

However, tolerance is something I'm learning to be a good thing. Being a bit OCD I used to find myself reading every thread that was posted. But I'm learning to be selective in what I read. Since we are all able to make that choice it really should not matter if there are threads about topics we don't care about. Just skip 'em.

And always remember the rules in the OT area are quite a bit different than in the general forums. We aren't even supposed to discuss caching over in the OT area. :)

"Heavily" and "Moderated" are oxymorons. Likewise with "Lightly" and "Moderated". Moderation is the middle ground between the extremes.

As a newcomer I see geocaching as a game/hobby/recreational pursuit. This forum is primarily discussions of and about a game/hobby/recreational pursuit. Although from reading through some of the threads it is apparent that some people do perhaps (IMHO) take it waaaay too seriously.

When I wrote that I do not regard using this forum as playing a game, I did not mean that geocaching and discussing about geocaching is something I take very seriously. I do know that game has a wider meaning in English than the equivalent word has in my native language, but still the image of playing which opens up in my mind when reading game, just does not fit for me to discussing with other people.

I guess it depends a lot on the inner images someone associates with certain terms.

This is why it's so difficult for mods. Also why some posts may end up being reported. The different interpretation of the written word where tone is added (or not) by the reader, not necessarily the writer. You have clearly taken offence to what Sandy said whereas I took it as a metaphor and didn't find it offensive in the least. Different strokes and all that

I agree that the mods have a very difficult job. It is impossible for them to make a perfect job and pleasing everyone.

I do know that words like playground can be used in a metaphorical manner. I guess it was the exact formulation Sandy created in my brain a somehow authoritarian image. What you and some other have said comes in here as a very important aspect. Sandy wrote something that produced certain images and feelings in my brain that most certainly are quite different from what she in mind when posting.

While I did not appreciate the formulation Sandy chose, it feels too strong for me to state that I took offence (actually I cannot find myself a fully suitable term for what I felt). My intention was to point out what type of message I received. One of my goals was to demonstrate that it can happen very easily to all of us (whether mods or not) to write something that is understood in different ways in different parts of the world. Crosscultural communication and interaction is something very complex and different languages and cultures are by far not the only issue. For example, it happens quite often that Germans and Austrians misunderstand each other even though they speak essentially the same language (I ignore for the moment the linguistic differences that exist). For example, Germans tend to formulate their message more directly than Austrians. A word as simple as yes (or the equivalent word in the used language) as answer to a question can mean so many different things around the world.

Sometimes people are warned or punished for actions that appear much more harmless to me than actions of others who end up unnoticed.

Cezanne

Thanks Cezanne, I appreciate your comments. I do appreciate that cultural and language hurdles can be more significant than one may realise at the time of posting a comment. I know from experience that sometimes people from other english speaking nations just don't "get" the Australian humour and have very little exposure to it (it's not like we have a huge amount of TV shows in other countries that may expose a little of our culture...and honestly we aren't like you see on "Neighbours" which I think may be the only show ever to have had any success outside Australia).

I keep saying that I'm new here and to geocaching but wow have some of the threads I've read made me sit back and think...really?!? or good grief some people get worked up about what I think is no big deal. Then again I remind myself that if we were all the same it would be a very boring world.

I'd just like to see active moderators participating along the way and making their presence known before there is a need to reprimand and censor.

That would be wonderful in a perfect world, especially if Moderators were paid staff on duty 24/7. Since that is not the case, volunteers are not always online and do appreciate when folks use the report button to bring us in quickly.

Even if moderators were employees, this would be like having a Police Officer watching every convenience store in case there was a robbery and at every house in case there was a domestic violence outbreak.

Even if moderators were employees, this would be like having a Police Officer watching every convenience store in case there was a robbery and at every house in case there was a domestic violence outbreak.

What's wrong with that, comrade? :anibad:

Edited by hzoi