Archived cache GSAK macro

drsolly

I get emails from Groundspeak telling me of archived caches in my neighbourhood, and I use these to update my GSAK database so that I don't go chasing after caches that aren't there. But sometimes there's dozens of archives, and it occurs to me that this is a problem that someone might have already solved, because what is needed here is a GSAK macro to read the emails and tell GSAK that the caches are now archived.

Does anyone know of such a macro?

Hello drsolly,

This one works well :-

# MacDescription = Review for Archived Caches after loading a fresh pocket query

# MacFileName = Review_For_Archive_API.gsk

# MacAuthor = GeePa

# MacVersion=1.6

#MacUrl=http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=19171&view=findpost&p=139607

Regards

Bernard

GSAK version 8 uses the Groundspeak API.

I use Gsak version 8 and set a filter for the caches I want to check (up to 6000) and then use refresh cache data.

This updates the status for all of the caches in the filter which makes it simple to just delete the archived ones.

Tony

Just noticed that Status Check will also work on a filter without using the daily 6000 cache limit.

Edited by ayepee

I use Gsak version 8 and set a filter for the caches I want to check (up to 6000) and then use refresh cache data.

This updates the status for all of the caches in the filter which makes it simple to just delete the archived ones.

Tony

Different limits to the number of caches...

If you Check Status and delete/filter out the Archived/Temp Disabled caches, you can then Refresh Cache Data of more caches!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Tony

If you Check Status and delete/filter out the Archived/Temp Disabled caches, you can then Refresh Cache Data of more caches!

Thanks, I just notcied that afetr I had replied. It is funny how familiarity with a program can actually restrict the ability to discover it's full potential. After finding that I could update my GSAK database by refreshing the data, I didn't look at any other options.

Tony

Still better to use the notification facility if you already have it set up.

It is more immediate than an API trawl and conserves your API useage for when you really need it. :)

I get emails from Groundspeak telling me of archived caches in my neighbourhood, and I use these to update my GSAK database so that I don't go chasing after caches that aren't there. But sometimes there's dozens of archives, and it occurs to me that this is a problem that someone might have already solved, because what is needed here is a GSAK macro to read the emails and tell GSAK that the caches are now archived.

Try the macro 'EmailReader' by Red Roo, it's searchable from the GSAK Macro Library Index. It reads all the notification emails and can correct co-ords, disable, enable, archive, and create newly published caches. :D

Try the macro 'EmailReader' by Red Roo, it's searchable from the GSAK Macro Library Index. It reads all the notification emails and can correct co-ords, disable, enable, archive, and create newly published caches. :D

Well, yes, that sounds like a great macro; but as mentioned above, such macros aren't necessary any more for the purpose drsolly had in mind, with the advent of GSAK 8. I also had trouble with archived caches but don't need to waste time with them any more.

However, the macro could be useful for new caches so I'll give it a try.

Well, yes, that sounds like a great macro; but as mentioned above, such macros aren't necessary any more for the purpose drsolly had in mind, with the advent of GSAK 8. I also had trouble with archived caches but don't need to waste time with them any more.

However, the macro could be useful for new caches so I'll give it a try.

Indeed, it's a useful macro when used with the GSAK 8 "Geocaching.com access" API feature. The problem with the latter is that it'll update cache details in your database...but not if the cache isn't actually there yet. So, rather than using a PQ to load new caches you can add them via the macro (as long as you have the notification feature set up). You can set the macro to highlight new caches, then you can update them with the API to pick up all details. Excellent!