Best Handheld GPS for $200

FDWhitey

In Your Opinion - what would you consider to be the best handheld GPS for under $200.

I am new to GC and my 7 y/o loves it... except when we aren't even close to the location while using my phones GPS. I just got a handheld GPS from Craig's List and now realize it is an older GPS unit. We are going to give it a try on Friday.

But, I want to get a descent unit that will be fairly accurate. If I get hooked (like I think I will) to GC I will look to upgrade to an even better GPS by the end of year.

With all that said... WHAT HANDHELD GPS WOULD YOU RECOMMEND FOR UNDER $200?

Thank you

In Your Opinion - what would you consider to be the best handheld GPS for under $200.

I am new to GC and my 7 y/o loves it... except when we aren't even close to the location while using my phones GPS. I just got a handheld GPS from Craig's List and now realize it is an older GPS unit. We are going to give it a try on Friday.

But, I want to get a descent unit that will be fairly accurate. If I get hooked (like I think I will) to GC I will look to upgrade to an even better GPS by the end of year.

Thank you

Look at the Magellan explorist GC, it is a good starter GPS, there is a new one, the Explorist 110, it saw it while at CES las Vegas but I did not give it a long look. I was at CES looking at photography stuff and I only had a few minutes for other things. The Garmin mentioned all would be a good starter GPS.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

From everything I've heard on this forum and elsewhere, the eTrex 20 seems to be the favored device. I have an old eTrex, the Venture HC, but it is still running strong after 3 years, is extremely easy to use, and accurate...I just got a Magellan eXplorist 110 as an upgrade, but due to frustrations I think I'm going to return it for an eTrex 20.

Edited by TheCattleman

Thank you

Your old GPSr is probably accurate. More important is the sensitivity of the receiver and some older units are very sensitive. The big advantage of the latest generation of GPSrs is the "paperless" feature, which means you can have all the geocache info loaded from your Pocket Query. Most also use standard GPX file format for geocaches, waypoints and tracks, and connect through USB.

I would recommend several including:

Magellan Explorist 110 or 310. These include maps, have a very nice screen, good solid buttons, and can use a nice interface program: Vantage Point. The 110 can be found for US$130 and is a very good deal. The 310 adds expandable memory for more maps, and has been seen on sale as low as $140 but closer to $170-190 now.

The Garmin eTrex 20 does not include maps, but you can easily add free street and topo maps. It has been seen for as low as $155, but now closer to $185. It also has an interface program called: Basecamp.

Delorme PN-30 includes topo maps and interface program. It is a solid unit with good buttons, easy menu, but battery life is not as good as above. Price was below $200 but now seems to be higher.

Another vote for the eTrex 20.

My older Garmin had good accuracy, but the newer receivers are much more sensitive. You'll probably find the same with the older one you bought. It should hold you fine until you decide what newer one you want; just be prepared for problems under tree cover, in canyons, or where there are lots of buildings around.

Patty

I can't honestly say what is "best" since I don't have experience with a wide range of units, but I can tell you that I recently purchased a Magellan Explorist 510 on ebay for $187.00. It has a very nice three inch touchscreen, it does a great job on all of the paperless geocaching features, and it is very easy to use. Don't be afraid to go the used route since outdoor GPSr units are pretty sturdy. Just make sure to check into the condition of the screen (no scratches) and check the seller's reputation if you're using a service like ebay.

I also had an Explorist 310 for awhile. It was a nice unit, although with a smaller screen that is not touch sensitive. Lots of people, myself included, are not happy with the joystick on the 310. The 310 is actually a step above the Explorist GC - it can do everything the GC can do, plus it can use custom maps and it can do certain hiking functions like giving a backtrack route to get you out of the woods. The 310 can be had for around $100.00 in very good used condition.

Thank you

We just started using a new eTrex 20 after using a Garmin 76 csx for years. Some say we traded down but I really like it for it's paperless caching feature. The accuracy seems to be a bit better also, especially under tree cover. Plus it's about a third the size of the 76 and I can stick it in my pocket when not navigating. I like the list of "found caches" too.

I haven't used any of the units mentioned on this page. But if the unit you bought on Craigslist was manufactured in the last 10 years it will probably be accurate enough for geocaching. The only problem is the older sensors are less sensitive, so the accuracy goes down when you're under tree cover. In my early days of caching I used both a Garmin eTrex and eTrex Legend. They served me well, but it was very nice when I upgraded to the 60CSx. The color screen and routing are very useful to me, not to mention the greatly improved sensitivity. I guess it comes down to how interested you are in geocaching. If you're still not sure if you're going to stick with it, and you're only going to use your GPSr for geocaching and not driving, I'd stick with a used basic unit for now.

I'm gonna echo the most common recommendation here - the eTrex 20 - best price/performance ratio you're likely to find near your price point. If you want to go even cheaper, look in the Garage Sale forum, used gear turns up sometimes and folks around here will be happy to advise if something is a good deal or not.