Needs Maintenance & Other Noob bloobs...

I'm still new to geocaching, not total noob, but there are times when I really feel I should know better!!! The Needs Maintenance log is one of those times. It's pretty straight forward, it says what it says on the tin. My question is, when I find a cache, signed the log book, but it requires more maintenance then I am able to do myself to it, should I be logging 2 logs? Found it AND Maintenance? or does a Needs Maintenance count as having Found It? Aaaaaaaaaah!!!

I've recently learnt that leaving bubble liquid in cache's isn't such a good idea either... I'd never realised that it could cause people such problems with caches! Ditto with a TFTC. I thought it was polite to leave that, then found it's not detailed enough!

Oh, by the way, my names Chantelle. :)

Hi Chantelle!

A Needs Maintenance log does not count as a Found log; if you want both, you have to do both.

btw I did the bubble thing when I was new, too; now I take them out instead of putting them in. I did find one cache where the bubble liquid had leaked out and made a real mess.

If it's a really minor issue with the cache, I may just mark it in my logs.

If it's a major issue with the cache, or I see that a number of other cachers have already remarked on that same issue in their logs, then I make a Needs Maintenance log.

Yes, TFTC is considered pretty short.

The original idea was to "write about your adventure". Unfortunately more and more caches are "adventureless" and there's not a whole lot more to write than that.

For really boring caches there's not a whole lot more to write.

I just wrote a HUGE log for a great multi that I didn't even find the final on. It was such a great cache I didn't even care. I had a great time!!

I got a private mail thanking me for that log. That was really nice.

He said, "Sure beats 'TFTC'" :laughing: :laughing: and included a really nice email and friend request. That was a really nice response.

Mine was a really long log going on and on about the cache, and how much fun I had and how great it was.

So just remember, when people write nice logs on your cache it's nice to acknowledge that, and when they just write "TFTC" they may think that's the nice thing to write and not know any better, so give them a break too.

I've recently learnt that leaving bubble liquid in cache's isn't such a good idea either...

Don't stop at bubble liquid... ANY liquid, really. Heating/cooling/freezing wrecks havoc on most liquid containers. For the short term, they may be OK, but how long is it gonna sit in the cache? _____ good answer! Ya just don't know.

Ever find some 5-hour power drink that made most everything in the cache turn into something else? It's really quite impressive. No wonder I refuse to drink the stuff.

I would create 2 logs in this case. The found log indicates just that, but the needs maintenance log will alert the owner and more importantly the local reviewer that there is an issue.

Needs Maintenance only notifies the owner or anyone with notifications on or is watching the cache. Not the reviewer unless they too are watching the cache which I doubt.

Needs Archive is the one that will notify the owner and the reviewers. And the above mentioned.

Also if the cache has been disabled for a long period of time a reviewer may step in if someone points it out or if they notice the CO has not responded.

Edited by jellis

Like others, I'll usually post a NM for something like a broken container or new log book needed, and if there is useful info I can give to the next cachers, I'll just add that in the log.

Lately I've started circular cache walks with a few caches to them, and a great walk in the countryside. Often there is one cache on the way that is compromised, and if it got archived it would spoil the whole series. So I've started to email/pm the CO instead of a NM and mention any problem carefully in the log. If I don't get a reply and I really liked the series and think it deserves some attention, I'll add a NM.

Like others, I'll usually post a NM for something like a broken container or new log book needed, and if there is useful info I can give to the next cachers, I'll just add that in the log.

Lately I've started circular cache walks with a few caches to them, and a great walk in the countryside. Often there is one cache on the way that is compromised, and if it got archived it would spoil the whole series. So I've started to email/pm the CO instead of a NM and mention any problem carefully in the log. If I don't get a reply and I really liked the series and think it deserves some attention, I'll add a NM.

If this is a series that has a final from gathering info from the other caches and the CO doesn't respond to you or the cache page or if they are no longer active and none of the previous finders will help to replace it, then the series is broken and the final can not be found (unless a cacher who solved it hasn't found it yet). Then the Final should be archived and the rest of the caches would end up just being stand alone finds.

Ditto with a TFTC. I thought it was polite to leave that, then found it's not detailed enough!

I did the same thing when I started, til I'd done about a dozen caches: "TFTC" all over the place :anicute:. I went back to all those previous logs and typed something more about the find.

Awesome to hear, two reformed TFTC loggers down, about 25,000 to go. :lol:

By the way, I don't see where Chantelle has ever done this, unless she completely deleted them, rather than edit them.

For minor or recent issues, just put a mention in your log as cache owners should be getting these notifications. For an issue that has been ongoing for a period of time, say 60 days or longer, it may be that the cache owner is no longer active, lives too far away for maintenance, or has just grown indifferent. These warrant an ""NM" log to bring this to the reviewer's attention.

Is tftc ok for signing the log book then? I don't like to leave just my name.

It seems to me that the size of the log-book will always dictate what you write. If it's a big log-book in a big cache then I will write something about the cache and my journey to it. If it's a rolled-up strip of paper in a nano then I would just write my initials. Do I add TFTC? Yes - if there's room, why not?

A lot of the negative feeling about the TCFC comment is because too many cachers write this and nothing else. I try to write a couple of sentences about every cache I find. Even the most mundane cache has something good going for it.

lefthanded99

Edited by lefthanded99

I've only ever once deleted a log as it was somehow a duplicate on a find, and didn't want it to effect my find figures!

Is tftc ok for signing the log book then? I don't like to leave just my name.

In the log book in the cache I never write more than my name and the date. On micros it's just TC and the date to save even more room.

Now online I may write a short story if it was a fun and memorable cache. That's the one folks are going to see.