Cache series with long titles

I have a couple of series near me where the cache series name is quite long and the number of each cache in the series is at the end of the name, i.e. at the right hand end of the title. When I download the caches to the GPS, the title is truncated and even if I use the GPS in landscape mode, the number is not shown. The only way to find the next one in the series in the GPS is to open each cache page. Is there an easier way of doing this. The distance from any point is given with the cache names but if the series is in a circular walk it is not always possible to see which one is the next in the series. If the series were in a straight line, I could guess the next one in the GPS by the distance from where I am. Maybe I have missed something obvious but would appreciate help in how to see the full cache title. Thanks.

I had the same issue at the weekend it showed "The cache name etc #" after the #was the number in the series...grrrrr.

Like you I had to open it to check which one I was going to. I emailed the CO and asked him if it would be a good idea to remove 'The' at the start of the cache name so people could read in on a GPS...but heard nothing :(

I have a couple of series near me where the cache series name is quite long and the number of each cache in the series is at the end of the name, i.e. at the right hand end of the title. When I download the caches to the GPS, the title is truncated and even if I use the GPS in landscape mode, the number is not shown. The only way to find the next one in the series in the GPS is to open each cache page. Is there an easier way of doing this. The distance from any point is given with the cache names but if the series is in a circular walk it is not always possible to see which one is the next in the series. If the series were in a straight line, I could guess the next one in the GPS by the distance from where I am. Maybe I have missed something obvious but would appreciate help in how to see the full cache title. Thanks.

Depending on the model of GPS you use, you may be able to select a cache by tapping on the map, that's how I do it on my Oregon, provided the paths make the route clear.

Rgds, Andy

I know what you mean, C0lin, and I think our cache walks overlap (I seem to have followed you around on some!) Don't know about the GPS but have found the phone app helps with this, as can just tap the cache with my finger to see what it is (although not so easy in the rain). Also, as I only have basic maps (so only roads are marked, not paths) I print off the OS version of the section of the beta map (so it has the caches marked on them.) I number these while at home. this helps a lot and has saved me from getting lost, and it's a backup in case for some reason all the electronic stuff fails. :laughing: Seems to be working so far, but have only been doing it like this for a couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

Just reminded me... I saw a series not that far away where the numbers came before the series' name. So instead of "Nice long walk 1" it's "1 Nice long walk" - shows up much easier on my GPS at least.

Hust changed my series around to the same. Simple idea, but doesn't really help you doing someone else's route.

Just reminded me... I saw a series not that far away where the numbers came before the series' name. So instead of "Nice long walk 1" it's "1 Nice long walk" - shows up much easier on my GPS at least.

Hust changed my series around to the same. Simple idea, but doesn't really help you doing someone else's route.

Nice,I wish CO's would mark caches 01, 02, etc, if there's more than nine, otherwise in GSAK they get listed 1, 10, 2, 20, 3, 4, etc... :unsure:

Not a major problem, just a little irritating if you print them out on a sheet to have them not in order!

I know what you mean, C0lin, and I think our cache walks overlap (I seem to have followed you around on some!) Don't know about the GPS but have found the phone app helps with this, as can just tap the cache with my finger to see what it is (although not so easy in the rain). Also, as I only have basic maps (so only roads are marked, not paths) I print off the OS version of the section of the beta map (so it has the caches marked on them.) I number these while at home. this helps a lot and has saved me from getting lost, and it's a backup in case for some reason all the electronic stuff fails. :laughing: Seems to be working so far, but have only been doing it like this for a couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

I do this too! I've found it invaluable (especially now that I have that FAB add on which allows you to get OS maps on geocaching.com), even though I often take the OS Explorer map of the region with me too now (did you know you can get them FREE on loan from the library?) . Before I had the OS add on, I used to take a paper print out with the map quest version which often shows footpaths.

As far as long cache names, is concerned, there's nothing to beat the CO starting the series with CC01, or CC02 etc etc. I saw someone else do it on a series and utilised that naming convention with my first series published a couple of months ago. Perhaps we should spread the word... If you're going to create a series folks, prefix a long name with 2 initials and a unique number.

Thanks everyone for their replies. I must get myself into GSAK as I have noted lots of benefits from other threads. It is really only a bit of a nuisance and not the end of the world. There is a couple of cache series in South Wales where the CO has actually changed the name so that the number of the cache comes first so that the problem I described does not occur.

I, too, like to take a map which helps alot but selecting on the GPS is the minor problem. The idea is to do as much 'homework' on the location as possible to try to minimise the chance of a DNF.

Fianccetto - yes, our paths have crosssed as I am in West Gloucestershire.

Thanks again everyone.