Routable maps to Oregon 550

Chief301

Hi, folks, I need a little guidance. Trying to figure out how to get routable maps to my Garmin Oregon 550 from Openstreetmaps. I've already figured out how to get topo maps from GPSfiledepot.com but the routable maps (different site, obviously) has me confused. I've requested the maps that I need and received the e-mail but there are about 8 different files attached to it and I'm not sure which one I need to work with or how. Can anyone describe or point me to a tutorial on how to do this?

Thanks.

Once you have received your confirming email, choose this option:

"osm_routable_gmapsupp.zip 19-Jan-2012 06:03 7.9M Compressed file that contains a single image that can be placed directly onto the SD-card of the GPS."

1. download this file and unzip it

2. create a subdirectory called Garmin on your micro SD card. You may not have to do this step but I do and it works fine. If you don't have a micro SD card I recommend getting at least a 4gb as you can store many maps.

3. rename the .img file to something that makes sense to you. I just downloaded a map of an area near Kenora Ontario. The file you download and unzip is always called gmapsupp.img. I renamed it to gmapsupp_Ont.img

4. drag and drop (or copy) this map to the the micro Garmin subdirectory.

Your 450 will automatically read this new map file. You can enable/disable the map(s) from the setup command (Map Information Select Map)however I find the multiple maps on the Oregon a bit confusing as the names it displays are not your renamed filenames. Which means you will have to delete/copy a few times until you get the map set you want. I currently have all of North America, Mexico, Aruba, Barbados, Central England, Europe from Budapest to Prague.

Edited by phlatlander

"osm_routable_gmapsupp.zip 19-Jan-2012 06:03 7.9M Compressed file that contains a single image that can be placed directly onto the SD-card of the GPS."

2. create a subdirectory called Garmin on your micro SD card. You may not have to do this step but I do and it works fine. If you don't have a micro SD card I recommend getting at least a 4gb as you can store many maps.

3. rename the .img file to something that makes sense to you. I just downloaded a map of an area near Kenora Ontario. The file you download and unzip is always called gmapsupp.img. I renamed it to gmapsupp_Ont.img

Your 450 will automatically read this new map file. You can enable/disable the map(s) from the setup command (Map Information Select Map)however I find the multiple maps on the Oregon a bit confusing as the names it displays are not your renamed filenames. Which means you will have to delete/copy a few times until you get the map set you want. I currently have all of North America, Mexico, Aruba, Barbados, Central England, Europe from Budapest to Prague.

OK, I still can't figure this out to save my life. I thought I had successfully received an e-mail but no way could I figure out how to get the maps to my Oregon. So now I'm trying to request the map again but I can't remember what I did last time. The website (openstreetmaps.org) does not do a very good job of explaining to complete newbie how to build and download a map. Where do I start? Arrrrrrgh!

OK, crisis averted, I finally figured it out. I kept trying to make something happen at www.openstreetmap.org but couldn't figure out how to do it. Then tried eusty's link to garmin.openstreetmap.nl, which must be where I ended up the first time, because that worked (Thanks, eusty!). The first time didn't know which file I was supposed to use and I had trouble unzipping the file they sent me and that's where I kept hitting the wall, I think.

I guess I'd better save that link... :unsure:

Thanks again for the help, everyone!

Maps from garmin.openstreetmap.nl are also available as installers that automatically install in BaseCamp. Once installed in BaseCamp or MapSource create any number mapsets from the data. You can also view the maps on your computer.