Library Caches

ScoutDadNC

I have heard about Library Caches. I think I have seen one or two of them listed. I was wondering if this is something that would be allowed. Are people still doing these?

Our Library is undergoing renovations so I thought I would ask.

Have a chat with an official at the library, set up a Beta Test of your cache so they see how it works, and run it by your local reviewer. It's possible that there's a cache you don't know about that prevents placement, but then the library may already have that info.

Indoor caches are uncommon, but if you have an interesting and fun idea (which is no bother to the library), it's worth a shot.

Libraries can have massive changes frequently. You'll have to take that into account.

Edited by kunarion

We found one a few weeks ago where the coordinates just take you to the library, but in the cache description is a Dewey decimal number (it just gives the number and says "You'll need this", doesn't say what the number is, but if you're familiar with the Dewey decimal system it's pretty obvious what the the number is). You just go into the library to the appropriate section and there on the bookshelf is a plain hardback book which is the logbook, among all the other books on the shelf. The librarian did know about it, at least in this case. Very fun, we really liked that one. :)

Aside from permission, you need to pay particular attention to the following guideline

GPS usage is an integral and essential element of both hiding and finding geocaches and must be demonstrated for all cache submissions.

Generally just giving the coordinates in front of the library and expecting people to use hint on the cache page to go inside and look for the cache is not sufficient. More typically library caches are multis or unknown. You can have someone look in the library for the coordinates (or information needed to compute coordinates) for a cache hidden outside. Or you can post coordinates outside where the finder gets information needed to find the cache and log hidden inside the library.

have done like 15 different library caches in at least 4 different states, definitely its an accepted practice. Have seen some real cool books (pages dug out to have a cavity inside, or audio book cds which automatically have a section inside to books which were actually checked out and the log was just a thin piece of paper inside the book jacket. That last kind were not my favorite of the ones I have seen. Some are puzzles, some are multis, and of course some are traditionals. Oh yeah, even saw one LBH.

Two of my family's favorite caches (different states) involve a library search. One cache is IN the library, and another is placed outside, but you have to solve the puzzle to figure out where. They are awesome!!

What I DON'T like is when a cache is in the library, and you have to access a certain book that is NOT always there. That is just wrong.

We have an entire series in our area done in coordination with the library system. There are currently in excess of 20 library branches involved. They are all multi's. Part one is an easy find just outside the library. It contains the name of the book. Part two involves using the computer/card file inside the library to look up the # of the book. They are all "reference" for use only in library. All are hollowed out with a log, swag, bookmarks etc. great for winter caching.

Aside from permission, you need to pay particular attention to the following guideline

GPS usage is an integral and essential element of both hiding and finding geocaches and must be demonstrated for all cache submissions.

Generally just giving the coordinates in front of the library and expecting people to use hint on the cache page to go inside and look for the cache is not sufficient. More typically library caches are multis or unknown. You can have someone look in the library for the coordinates (or information needed to compute coordinates) for a cache hidden outside. Or you can post coordinates outside where the finder gets information needed to find the cache and log hidden inside the library.

Along with permission, this is key. GPS use needs to be involved with the hunt. As Toz mentioned coords to the parking lot or entrance are not enough to satisfy that requirement.

Other than that, if you can get the library staff on board it's a great idea.

I've done a few, too.

Some were fake books (with a space inside for a log and trades) in the reference section, others were just bound ('blank') books with completely legitimate-looking markings (usually in the GPS section).

Yeah, it's doable.

In my experience, posting the co-ordinates for the front door of the library is adequate GPS usage.

Obviously, permission and co-operation of the library staff is critical.

The only one I've done was a micro at the listed coordinates on the grounds and the dewey decimal number in the micro. The cache page listed the library's hours so people wouldn't get there and not be able to enter and find the final. It is listed as a puzzle.

Edited by edscott

We did a library cache where the clue tells you to go to the help / reference desk. They then give you a book that holds the cache.

We wanted to do this in the library in our town but there is a cache located out side close by out side.

Talk to your reviewer. Because of the nature of one outside and one inside, I think they sometimes lest this slide. One reason is probably it brings more awareness for caching.

I love library/museum caches. You get to learn stuff and thats almost as good as getting to see somewhere you never would have gone if it weren't for caching.

Anything that gets people (especially children) into libraries is a good thing in my estimation

big thumbs up!!

Edited by Presence

I have actually been planing one of these myself. I still need to ask my local reviewer, but I'll ask here first.

The idea I had is as follows...

I was thinking a puzzle that you needed to solve on the cache page to get the location of the first stage, then that stage would contain a a hint & Dewey decimal number. From here they would go to the library, locate the number on the shelf and that would be it. The plan is to actually place my own hard back book which will act as a logbook, the number would be custom and hopefully even in the computer system for looking up if needed.

This would, of course, be all with permission from my reviewer and the library. I would not pursue any part of this without full permission from both.

What do you guys think of this idea? Any suggestions or feedback? I'm open anything :)

...and hopefully even in the computer system for looking up if needed.

Did one in Oregon like this...the CO's caching handle was listed as the author of the book! :D

Much fun!

Sweet! That is exactly what I was thinking. I was even going to get a custom book cover with the name of the cache as the title and my username as the author. Do cool to hear that this has worked in the past. One thought... Does the final have to be a container, or would a book acting as the logbook/container count? Really hope this works out.

...and hopefully even in the computer system for looking up if needed.

Did one in Oregon like this...the CO's caching handle was listed as the author of the book! :D

Much fun!

Sweet! That is exactly what I was thinking. I was even going to get a custom book cover with the name of the cache as the title and my username as the author. Do cool to hear that this has worked in the past. One thought... Does the final have to be a container, or would a book acting as the logbook/container count? Really hope this works out.

The book acting as a container/logbook could be an issue as there is language in the guidelines which would prohibit something like that.

I've considering hiding a cache in a library and permission would not be an issue since I work in a University library. I found a fake cardboard book at a craft store that is hollow on the inside so it would have a lot of room for a logbook and swag.

The library I work in (Mann Library at Cornell University) is one of the largest Agriculture libraries in the world, and somewhat common for a library of this size, we have our own book binding department. I've asked the guy that does the book binding about putting a cover on the fake book so that it looks like the other books we bind. Since I also am involved in the design and development of our website I could create a mystery cache with clues in the web site.

Unfortunately, awhile back someone placed hide-a-key in a garden about 400' from our building so now I have proximity issues.

The book acting as a container/logbook could be an issue as there is language in the guidelines which would prohibit something like that.

The logbook IS in a container. The coordinates take you to the container. The container is the building. It's waterproof, durable, and cleverly camouflaged as a library. The only issue is that the size is listed wrong :)

The logbook IS in a container. The coordinates take you to the container. The container is the building. It's waterproof, durable, and cleverly camouflaged as a library. The only issue is that the size is listed wrong :)

So other than the logbook, this sounds like a great idea! I can still have the custom cover and what not, it will just have to be hollow with a real logbook inside. Excellent information guys! Thanks :)