"Just visiting" cache protocal?

FolsomNatural

How do you handle a visit to a cache that was essentially for training purposes in teaching others about geocaching?

:huh:

My grand-kids came up for a visit and I wanted to show them how geocaching works.

We visited 3 caches that I had found previously. Took nothing, left nothing.

Should I sign the log again?

What I did was not sign the log, and left a "note" about the visit on the web site.

Are there any rules or guidelines on "visitor" finds?

What I did was not sign the log, and left a "note" about the visit on the web site.

Posting a note explaining your visit was a perfectly appropriate thing to do in this case. It would not be appropriate to log it as another find (since you found it already). There's no problem with not posting anything at all, either, but a note is fine. That's how I would have done it.

You'll find that many people revisit caches and post a note when they go to drop off or retrieve trackables, or revisit a cache with others like you did. No problem.

I won't sign the log again but I will leave an online note saying why I was there and general condition of the cache.

I'll second this. You didn't mention if you did so or not, but in this type of scenario it's really useful for the owner if you mention the condition of the cache and its contents. You also know where you found it originally (hopefully), and so can mention whether it has moved from that spot (cache migration is pretty common). The owner may have intended for the cache to be hidden in an exact spot, and you could possibly alert them to the fact that it has moved.

I won't sign the log again but I will leave an online note saying why I was there and general condition of the cache.

Actually, there's nothing wrong with signing the log again, assuming that the log book has a sufficient amount of room. I've read quite a few physical logs that had entries from people that never posted an online log. In one case, there was a group of caches I found in a park that were all signed by the local ranger that patrolled the area. In another case I found a cache at a National Park in Tanzania and showed the person I was traveling with the cache and explained what it was about. She asked if she could sign the log book and the was no reason why she shouldn't. In still another instance I was interviewed by a couple of students doing a multi-media presentation on social games and we went and found a cache as part of the interview (it was one that I owned) and when we got close I handed them my GPS and said, "here, you find it". I told them they should sign the log and I never saw an online log from either of them.

When caching with young children I find it best to locate the cache ahead of time so they're not bored with me scratching my head looking for it, and I'll make sure it's well stocked with trade items.

Nothing wrong with signing the log again, and including the names of the other visitors.

Don't know a cacher who didn't want to hear about someone visiting their cache.

I always encourage those with me to sign the log if they are not members, yet. I say yet because maybe I can talk them into getting into caching and opening up their own account. I sometimes sign a second time and as was mentioned above I let the CO know the status of the cache. It sure is nice to get a note like that so you as a CO know its condition.

I always encourage those with me to sign the log if they are not members, yet. I say yet because maybe I can talk them into getting into caching and opening up their own account. I sometimes sign a second time and as was mentioned above I let the CO know the status of the cache. It sure is nice to get a note like that so you as a CO know its condition.

Kind of reminds me of a local town motto. Stop for a visit, stay for a lifetime.

Creepy.