Live Display

Warrenpfo

I find that sometimes its nice to be able to see more of the map than the Montana i have can display at any one time so would like to still use the montana but view my live position on a larger screen be it a laptop or ipad. So any software that will allow me to display topo maps and OS maps. Not looking for much more than that if honest. SOmeone has once said you can save cached maps from google earth which might be cool as it owuld provide you with plenty detail but i guess you would have to "run" the whole route you plan on taking prior to going in order to save the maps required.

I think i have lots to learn still.

Since you mention an iPad and Topo maps, look at Topo Maps for iPad by Phil Endecott. There's another version for the iPhone as well -- really the very best mapping software I've found for the iDevices.

What do you really have? An iPad? Which model - 3G or WiFi? Or a laptop - Windows or Mac? All of those details limit or guide your options.

If you're really just thinking of having in the car/truck while you're driving, lots of gear & cabling would be an inconvenience, and there are better vehicle navigation options. If you're really out and about hiking, call it "lots of fragile and not weatherproof gear and cabling" -- and I'd have to wonder how much bigger screen do you really need than the self-contained Montana has?

Edited by Portland Cyclist