Your Profile, Recently View Caches

mbbaumann

I too find to latest up-date a bit baffling ,, WHY ,, I think I now which cache Ive just looked at ?

In my view this space would have been better applied to ( TRACKABLES YOU ARE STILL HOLDING ) and need to get back out for others to find and MOVE .. and not let them sit at the bottom of your caching bag for months on end

lets FLAG it up .. ***** you need to move this trackable item ********

anybody find a way to remove this garbage?

Use Adblock Plus filters (see my post above)

I don't expect Groundspeak will reverse the change because it's not a bug :unsure:

Mark

Sorry, Mark. I'm unfamiliar with your solution. Could you be more specific? Thanks.

nevermind, Mark. I figured out it's something for Firefox. I use IE. Thanks, anyway.

I opened the site last night and my profile page had 5 recently viewed cache pages listed. My question is, Why? I don't really understand why this is necessary or desirable. Am I the only one scratching my head over this "update"?

It seems like another "update" that adds no value and clutters the screen.

I'd rather see the annoying date bug that was recently introduced fixed, and the even more annoying bug that keeps reverting all the caches on the map to show as unfound (which has been there for many months) fixed.

I'm thinking i don't like this new format. Is there a way to delete the Recently Viewed Caches, so we don't have them on the front page. Or better yet put this display in the "Lists"
It isn't in the Lists tab. Instead, the full list of your 50 most recently viewed caches has it's own tab:

Quick View | Lists | Geocaches (Yours) (Recently Viewed) | Trackable Items (Yours) | [...]

All that's left is to get rid of the short list on your Quick View page. I used an Adblock Plus filter:

geocaching.com##div#ctl00_ContentBody_RecentlyViewedCachesPanel
(I don't subscribe to any of the ad filters. I use Adblock Plus just for hiding annoying site features like this.)

(I don't subscribe to any of the ad filters. I use Adblock Plus just for hiding annoying site features like this.)

That right there is sad. I also use ABP to get rid of the garbage that GS has spent developer time on and constantly expend server resources on. With such a long list of desired features and enhancements to existing features and API enhancements it boogles my mind that they expend resources on stuff like this. If there was ever a totally and completely useless feature this has to be it.

Same here!

There must be something seriously wrong with a website where the adverts are less annoying than the site's own features!

Well, yes. But it isn't a new thing. I've been using browser features and plugins to work around badly designed web sites for more than a decade.

Out of interest, does it go by browse history only ?

If you log a cache via App, do these appear too.

I just checked some of this out using the "official" Geocaching app on my Droid.

If I Find Nearby Caches and select a cache in the list, the cache isn't added to the Recently Viewed Caches list, even after viewing the Description, the Recent Logs, and the Hint.

If I select View on Geocaching. com, this fires up the Droid's browser to display the cache, and the cache immediately appears on the Recently Viewed Caches list.

This makes me think that Web-based access, or look-ups that appear like Web-based access (think c:geo) trigger the addition.

I don't have any caches to log, so I didn't check out whether entering a log per se triggers an entry.

--Larry

Just for fun, I selected one of my own caches using the "official" app and posted a note to it (without first looking at the cache page with any Web browser). It took a couple of minutes, but that did trigger an entry in the Recently Viewed Caches list.

--Larry

What's this "official" app? The official app, or another that that's not official?

Just for fun, I selected one of my own caches using the "official" app and posted a note to it (without first looking at the cache page with any Web browser). It took a couple of minutes, but that did trigger an entry in the Recently Viewed Caches list.

--Larry

What's this "official" app? The official app, or another that that's not official?

I am referring to The Groundspeak Geocaching Application, of course. Groundspeak never uses the term "official app" anywhere, so I tend to place the "official" in quotes.

You knew perfectly well what I was talking about. :P

--Larry

I am referring to The Groundspeak Geocaching Application, of course. Groundspeak never uses the term "official app" anywhere, so I tend to place the "official" in quotes.

You knew perfectly well what I was talking about. :P

--Larry

Actually I didn't, as I didn't recall if you were referring to the iPhone app or an Android app... either way, if it's published by Groundspeak, it is official, so "official" had me wondering what you were referring to. No harm no foul.

Interesting that the official app is registering a page view on the listing though. Is it actually visibly loading the web page on the device? It could otherwise be that they're considering views from within the mobile app (not a browser view) equivalent to a web view and logging that (unlike c:geo which is effectively emulating a browser view by scraping its content).

Interesting that the official app is registering a page view on the listing though. Is it actually visibly loading the web page on the device? It could otherwise be that they're considering views from within the mobile app (not a browser view) equivalent to a web view and logging that (unlike c:geo which is effectively emulating a browser view by scraping its content).

If all I do is view the Description, the Recent Logs, or the Hint (all this apparently being done inside the app), it doesn't register as a Recently Viewed Cache on the Web site. It's only when I select "View on Geocaching.com", which launches the phone's browser, that the cache shows up in the list. So it does seem that only browser views, or emulations thereof, add an entry to the list.

--Larry