Need Help Creating Cache Page

brettp2004

I'm having a little problem creating a cache page. I have an HTML page done that works fine when viewed in a normal browser, however, when I copy and paste it into the cache description block and view the cache page it doesn't work right. Specifically, there are a lot of marquees in the HTML which are suppose to scroll downward, but on the cache page they scroll left instead. The "HTML box" is checked in the cache form. I'm wondering also if there is a way to just attach the HTML file on my computer into the cache page? I'm pretty new to messing with HTML so please dumb it down as much as possible for me!

I'm no expert on HTML but, as from yesterday's site update, there's now a list of which HTML tags can be used in your cache page description - Have you seen it?

You can view it on the Report a New Cache Submission form, in the Details section, when you put the tick in the HTML box.

Perhaps you're using some tags which are not supported?

If it's not that then I can't help further. I'm sure some HTML hotshot will be along to give you advice later!

MrsB :)

I'm having a little problem creating a cache page. I have an HTML page done that works fine when viewed in a normal browser, however, when I copy and paste it into the cache description block and view the cache page it doesn't work right. Specifically, there are a lot of marquees in the HTML which are suppose to scroll downward, but on the cache page they scroll left instead. The "HTML box" is checked in the cache form. I'm wondering also if there is a way to just attach the HTML file on my computer into the cache page? I'm pretty new to messing with HTML so please dumb it down as much as possible for me!

In general, marquees do not enhance cache pages. A good cache page is one that will display properly in a variety of devices. That means that features such as color, sound, movement, and blinking should not be used.

In addition, geocaching.com runs the HTML for cache pages through a filter that removes a lot of the bad HTML generated by many programs. Microsoft Office is a particularly bad offender.

Why not make your cache page simple and elegant, and avoid the use of gimmicky features like marquees?

Try the new official Listing Generator of Groundspeak:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=288972&view=findpost&p=4949007

Umm, that's not the "official Listing Generator of Groundspeak". There is no "official Listing Generator of Groundspeak". Geopt is a tool created by a third party and uses the functionality provided by Groundspeak's API. The API is the only way Groundspeak is connected to that project at all.

I've had that same problem before .Even when copying and pasting between two cache pages. A lot of extra unneeded characters are added for some reason. The only solution i have come up with is to go and MANUALLY correct the HTML after i pasted it.Sorry i couldn't help you any more than that.

Whenever I make up a cache page that contains HTML, I keep a copy of it on my computer in a text file. If I ever want to make any changes, I'll edit it on my computer, then copy-and-paste it to the website. That way I never have to deal with all the extra junk that gets added when you edit online. It makes it a bit slower, but it's easier in the end.

You would be surprised at how many people who log your cache will never go to the page unless it is a mystery. I did about 40 caches this week and never viewed any page. Use GSAK API to get caches, load into GPS, find cache, mark as found, run GSAK API for log and delete from GSAK.

Not sure you want to put that much effort into something few will see. Plus personally I find all that a distraction not an enhancement. Always seems to me that the CO is trying to impress me with his HTML skills when all I care about is the cache.

You would be surprised at how many people who log your cache will never go to the page unless it is a mystery. I did about 40 caches this week and never viewed any page. Use GSAK API to get caches, load into GPS, find cache, mark as found, run GSAK API for log and delete from GSAK.

Not sure you want to put that much effort into something few will see. Plus personally I find all that a distraction not an enhancement. Always seems to me that the CO is trying to impress me with his HTML skills when all I care about is the cache.

I'm sure that there are more people who look at cache pages than who use other applications.

I'm not trying to enhance the cache page at all. It is a mystery cache and the HTML is part of the puzzle. I can get the marquees to display on the cache page they just don't do the same thing they do when opened regularly. I've tailored the puzzle a little to make do with what it's giving me. Thanks for the input.

I've had that same problem before .Even when copying and pasting between two cache pages. A lot of extra unneeded characters are added for some reason. The only solution i have come up with is to go and MANUALLY correct the HTML after i pasted it.Sorry i couldn't help you any more than that.

Yup....

I've seen the same thing. Using Dreamweaver and trimming out all the fat and using just your basic html - copy and paste it into the cache listing and the site adds a bunch of garbage in it. Correcting this manually seems to help. I've also noticed - copying the code from another cache listing is actually OK.....no extra garbage.

To the OP - If this is the type of marque you're referring to....this is a line of code I've used. Simple...but it works. As seen in the cache listing GC31D5N

<font face="Comic Sans MS" size="5" color=

"#000099"><marquee behavior="alternate" scrollamount="3" bgcolor=

"#CCCCCC" width="100%"><b>You Sank My

Submarine!!</b></marquee></font></p>