Kathy's Coin Too - Heaven's The Place

drneal

i sent out the first of the traders today...if anyone has interest let me know...if anyone i owe a coin to does not receive it, again, let me know.

ILYK

i guess i should add, regulars on the geocoin form will have no problem trading with me...my seeking list is out of date...if you're ordering a new coin, let me know...if i don't have it, i'll have you order a 2nd for trade.

Edited by drneal

Drneal I missed the post on saturday for our trade for this so it will go in the post first thing Monday morning for you. :)

not a rush...your coin is on it's way !

ILYK

Thank you very much. I can't wait. I'm going to an event in 2 weeks time. If it's here then I am going to be showing it off to my friends there. :) Hopefully along with a Nerds coin. :D

EDIT: sorry I meant I should have my nerds coin in time too.

Edited by sparklefingers

I received Kathy's Coin Too today!!!

I LOVE them. I wrote drneal and told him - I feel that this coin is like a gift to the world. The sentiments are so real and the execution is perfect to match. I just don't have the ability to capture my reaction to these coins in words - they are BEAUTIFUL in many senses. They show LOVE, JOY and HOPE rising from heartbreak. I will treasure them.

Others, be sure to check out the activation code and the absolute icing on the cake is the inscription on the edge. There are proxys too!

drneal, I think there are a lot of us who never met Kathy who love her now too in a way. You've done a wonderful thing.

Thank you!!!

I received Kathy's Coin Too today!!!

I LOVE them. I wrote drneal and told him - I feel that this coin is like a gift to the world. The sentiments are so real and the execution is perfect to match. I just don't have the ability to capture my reaction to these coins in words - they are BEAUTIFUL in many senses. They show LOVE, JOY and HOPE rising from heartbreak. I will treasure them.

Others, be sure to check out the activation code and the absolute icing on the cake is the inscription on the edge. There are proxys too!

drneal, I think there are a lot of us who never met Kathy who love her now too in a way. You've done a wonderful thing.

Thank you!!!

i promised some surprises

ILYK

the write up is the actual description is used here on the geocion forum, so mnay months ago. the picture behind the write up is the actual photograph from the cemetary that the back of the coin is based on.

there is one more little surprise on the coin...anyone pick up on it?

ILYK

My coin arrived in the mail today! So gorgeous. A nice, thick coin - and a proxy, too! So amazing to finally get to hold one in my hands! Pictures alone just don't do it justice. Thank you so much, drneal, for the opportunity to own this beauty! I may just send out the proxy; I'd love to see it travel around the world and spread the message of love, hope, and joy this coin embodies.

The coin arrived today .... just wow! It is beautiful, the feel, the colors, the meaning all blend to make this our most treasured personal coin. Sue and I both thank you for your perseverance and allowing this coin to go forward. It can now be shown and shared with the love and respect it so well deserves. It brought a tear and a smile to both of us. Thanks doc!

"If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons."

James Thurber

a few posts back i mentioned that there would be 2 artist edition coins, one that i would keep, one that would be auctioned off on e-bay.

i have been fortunate to find many friends, and spend many hours being entertained by the posts on this forum, hours that would otherwise have been lonely. as such, i plan to have made a third ae, to be given away in the form of a cointest here on the geocoin forum as a thank you. i have no specific plans as to what sort of cointest i will run, but hope to have something in mind by the time the coins are in production.

ILYK

the post above, is from well over a year ago. since that time, it seemed like just about anything that could go wrong, went wrong for the coin. without the support of this geocoin forum group, and especially Chris Mackey, this coin would never have been made. four artist edition coins were made instead of the three, but no more will be minted. it's time for the geocointest i promised so very long ago. your chance to win an artist edition "Kathy's Coin Too - Heaven's The Place."

e4cefa10-4376-4ca7-80e7-a336ce8d87b7_zps03ee409e.jpg

those that have participated in my cointests in the past know i enjoy learning about what goes through people's minds...and better yet, getting you to reveal a little bit more about yourself to all that frequent the geocoin forum. this cointest is no exception.

the rules

1 entry per person...winner to be chosen by the ever famous cheese-o-matic number generator (i write numbers on pieces of cheese using edible ink..put them on the floor in front of heineken and maxx, and chance life and limb...well, at least a finger or two, to grab the last number before the dogs get it.)

cointest will end midnight (my time zone...i'm in pennsylvania) June 29, 2013

the cointest

imagine that your home/apartment/paper crate (darned geocoins are getting expensive!) has caught fire. all family members (spouses and inlaws optional) and pets have safely exited the dwelling. you have time to grab one, and only one, keepsake. what do you take with you?

ILYK
Edited by drneal

i'll start.

b0587731-e917-4a89-82fe-d0e5271ff5e8_zps5b1c1648.jpg

look closely inside the frame at the front of the picture...you'll see 3 locks of hair...one from Kathy, one from Logan, and one from our first dog, Brandy. these locks of hair are something i hold dear, and would never be able to replace...this frame and locks of hair would be my choice to take from the house with me.

for those that have met me up front and personal, you might have noticed i don't wear metal...i destroy it. i do however, wear a very small lock of Kathy's hair in a locket suspended by a gold chain...the chain needs to be cleaned at least daily..this would probably be choice 2 for me.

ILYK

I think it would have to be my sewing machine...we've spent so many hours together, I'd be lost without it. Plus, my mother taught me to sew as a teenager, so whenever I'm laying out a pattern or stitching a seam, I feel as though she is right there beside me. The time I spend at my machine is very personal, as I sew, I pray or think about the people in my life, past & present. I hope I have time to grab my serger, too! It was a Christmas gift from my boss.

7a9a4e25-8980-4f49-86c1-525992c829ef.jpg

A framed photograph of my family:

My immediate family is currently scattered across the globe, between Canada, United States and China. My brother and I both moved out from home shortly after graduating college. A year later, my parents divorced and moved to separate cities. While I have seen both parents and my brother within the last year, they were all on separate occasions. Our family as a whole unit, has not been in the same place since my brother's wedding three years ago. I honestly don't know when we'll be able to have another family moment together, so the photo has a huge amount of sentimental value.

Edited by michepun

I think it would be the box with mine and my mothers matching charm bracelets. Before my mum got sick we used to go off to antique fairs and look for old fashioned charms the we liked.

We have anything and everything on those charm bracelets. They're so full (especially my mums) that we had to stop putting the charms on them... Didn't stop us buying them though.

We have cancan girls on there that when you move they kick up and down, birds that are in cages and lastly my most prized thing on them, my grandads whistle from ww2, it means even more to me as he died recently.

What did stop us buying was that my mum had a stroke, she's paralysed down the left side and other then shouting at me because I am her primary carer and she doesn't like to be told what to do we don't talk or do anything together anymore, she's a completely different person.

So I'd take that box because its mine and my mums, it's the strongest memory of her old self.

I will supply a picture of box and charm bracelets later as I am not at home.

We've felt involved with Kathy's coin too right from the start and we've shared your disapointments in making it a reality. We're just so glad that you saw it through and we're sure the good will outshine the bad in your mind when you look back on the whole adventure.

We remember all the ups and downs associated with our geocoin "Canoe Place", it was SO important SO long ago but I remember it like it was yesterday. Every day since then I take the coin I always carry in my pocket and put it on my dresser at night. In the morning it goes in my pocket and I carry it with me, maybe for luck, maybe just because I like feeling it in my pocket. It's come up missing several times, once it got left in my uniform at work and traveled over 100 miles, and I was really afraid it was gone. Somehow it came back, I choose to believe that it was supposed to. It has the neatest finish on it from being handled so much over the last seven years. I think if I had to pick something to grab as I was running for the door, I'd grab my "Canoe Place" geocoin, and I don't think I would even have to think about it!

10676de5-4a2f-47fa-9d14-fc884de5a58c.jpg

"If i had time to take one thing from my burning house and my family and pets were save...", You made me think about it there. If you had asked me that question 2 years ago i would probably have answered "My smokes" but since i quit that 'hobby' i needed to think a bit harder :-). Neither my wife or i are attached to stuff, we love nice things but if we can make someone else happy with it or if we loose it we won't cry about it. Stuff like pictures are all digital and stored online these days so all that remains are our memories of the good times we had together, with family or friends.

My answer would be: Our memories.

Greetings, Dave

Wife and cat are safe ... easy choice ... assuming I already had my pants on when the fire broke out. A 3'x5' original oil painting that has great sentimental value to all in the family including those who no longer live here. The artist has since passed on and it is irreplaceable.

OK - honestly - even the pants wouldn't make the top of the list. "Don't look Ethel" ..... the painting wins.

I think it would be the box with mine and my mothers matching charm bracelets. Before my mum got sick we used to go off to antique fairs and look for old fashioned charms the we liked.

We have anything and everything on those charm bracelets. They're so full (especially my mums) that we had to stop putting the charms on them... Didn't stop us buying them though.

We have cancan girls on there that when you move they kick up and down, birds that are in cages and lastly my most prized thing on them, my grandads whistle from ww2, it means even more to me as he died recently.

What did stop us buying was that my mum had a stroke, she's paralysed down the left side and other then shouting at me because I am her primary carer and she doesn't like to be told what to do we don't talk or do anything together anymore, she's a completely different person.

So I'd take that box because its mine and my mums, it's the strongest memory of her old self.

I can't edit this post now so i've quoted it for the pictures

null_zpsf11f9350.jpg

null_zps6c764b42.jpg

null_zpsc8f1219f.jpg

Hi Forums and DrNeal. This one brought me out of 'lurking' status. I'm not much of a forum groupie but love the geocoin forum and of course, all the coins.

I am retired Army and have the retirement American Flag I was awarded in a wooden case right above my Military Challenge Coin case. Having served in the military, that flag means so much to me, it would have to be the one item to be saved. Since it does hang right above the Challenge Coin case, I would make every effort to grab them both since they are sort of 'together' as one item. If not, the coins 'might' survive but I have to save the flag.

7dcd7e7b-dda3-4b0a-ad2f-d78e45e1b280.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------

I have thought about this before and talked about it with people who have lamented items that were stolen during a home invasion. I think that things are replaceable so it wouldn't be my camera or coins I would take. I assume I would have my car keys in hand so I have thought about this since I saw the cointest rules. Since it could only be one thing I couldn't take the ashes of my dogs that are waiting for me at the Bridge so what would it be? Today Father's Day it suddenly hit me as I thought about my dad. I believe he got his first movie camera when I was about 6 years old. He took 8 mm home movies all the time and then 35 mm slides. He graduated to handheld video cameras and I think he would have progressed to digital if he could have. He spent hours transferring all those pictures to video tape and I later transferred them to dvds. After he died and my family gathered at the house, we got out all those old movies and we sat around and laughed and watched many of them. When I gave his eulogy I talked about the memories he left us in all the movies and pictures he took. That was his legacy to us. Now there is no doubt that if everyone was safe I would take that box of VHS tapes and dvds so I would have the memories that my dad left for us.

Thanks drneal for the cointest. See you in a month!

Most important thing first: C-O-N-G-R-A-T-U-L-A-T-I-O-N-S on finally receiving these coins, and C--O--N--G--R--A--T--U--L--A--T--I--O--N--S on hanging in there, never giving up, despite all the things that went wrong... Great strength - perhaps Kathy sent this strength to you?

What to save... My first thoughts were that when each living soul is rescued, one thing more or less will not matter much. The truly valuable items are safe. But at the same time, it would be silly not to save anything, right? So I would probably go with the external disk where our computers are backed up. That would save most of our photos (especially after we spent hours and hours scanning old family photos last years), years of work, important documents, etc etc. Not the most romantic answer, but an honest answer. Thanks for the cointest!

What to save... My first thoughts were that when each living soul is rescued, one thing more or less will not matter much. The truly valuable items are safe. But at the same time, it would be silly not to save anything, right? So I would probably go with the external disk where our computers are backed up. That would save most of our photos (especially after we spent hours and hours scanning old family photos last years), years of work, important documents, etc etc. Not the most romantic answer, but an honest answer. Thanks for the cointest!

My Thoughts were the same as momareb so I hope to take my cellphone with me so I can call and tell the family we are al save, because bad news travels fast

I can't edit this post now so i've quoted it for the pictures

null_zpsf11f9350.jpg

null_zps6c764b42.jpg

null_zpsc8f1219f.jpg

BEAUTIFUL!!! I love charms!!! I also have a charm bracelet :)

I'm still thinking about my answer for the cointest :)

BEAUTIFUL!!! I love charms!!! I also have a charm bracelet :)

I'm still thinking about my answer for the cointest :)

Thank you, those aren't the only charm bracelets I have but they're the most important. Looking at them I wish I had more charms but just can't bring myself to add to the collection. (of old fashioned charms that is)

First and foremost I am glad to see that the coins have arrived and that you are pleased with them because they are exceptional. I also had to think of whether or not I wanted to reveal or how much to reveal of my answer. that is until I read Dofferson's answer, then my next thought was why not drneal would understand (I think).

It starts with a story, my youngest sister, her husband & family lived through such a nightmare. With only the clothes they were wearing that evening and in the middle of the night a fire alarm awoke them. They got out and were safe and stood there as everything they owned went up in flames.

As a Health & SAfety Coordinator I had to instruct, practice and direct employees in case of such an occurence and when it came time in those instruction I had to tell them that even if they thought or knew that someone was inside, they were not to go back in but to tell the fire department of their suspicions. It was always difficult to tell them not to and often they said they would ignore my instructions that is until I ask how would their wives, children, colleagues would deal without them. Could they see the suffering and pain brought about because of the choice they made, could they see their family and friends at the funeral and how much hurt and would they honestly wish to put them into so much hurt and pain.

After the my sister's house had burnt down they were asked what was it that wished they could have saved, their and my answer is the same "memories" I wouldn't have it any other way lie is to precious but you know that.

Wow, what a hard question to answer and what a hard choice to make. I'm looking around, trying to figure out what it would be. I'm something of a pragmatist, so I'd probably grab my firebox, that has valuables and important papers in it. Once my family and cat were out, everything else I would figure could be replaced, but recreating your identity would be so hard, that I'd want to at least have a few things to make that process easier. Not very sentimental, I know, so maybe the sentimental answer would be, if I was grabbing something for sentiment, I'd grab the build-a-bear stuff cat that my sister and little niece made me and sent to me a few years ago when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Even though I'm an adult, it still gives me comfort and I still cuddle with it sometimes...