NFC tags, anyone?

sidbaxter

The issue I have is that the only ruggedised tags I can get are Ultralite, so restricted to 46bytes.To fit the data on a tag with a single identifier you can only have a precision of four decimal places.

I got some of these for testing. Thick, rigid, 3M adhesive at the back (no idea what kind). I guess you're in the UK? buynfctags.com will ship internationally, but I'm not sure how exorbitant or slow it is going to be.

The issue I have is that the only ruggedised tags I can get are Ultralite, so restricted to 46bytes.To fit the data on a tag with a single identifier you can only have a precision of four decimal places.

I got some of these for testing. Thick, rigid, 3M adhesive at the back (no idea what kind). I guess you're in the UK? buynfctags.com will ship internationally, but I'm not sure how exorbitant or slow it is going to be.

I can get similar to that over here, I was hoping for something like these as they are easy to fix to a post etc :)

Attempted to publish a cache today using the tag and the reviewer note came back "Only 10 allowed world wide to see how it works out," Will keep you posted.

That's strange. The beacon type is already an established type and the guidelines spell it out clearly. Will the reviewer publish it if there is an alternate method of getting coordinates (e.g. a physical container with coordinates written down somewhere, or deriving coordinates from something that can be seen at the site)?

Reviewers note posted today on my cache. "Sent to Appeals for review guidelines"

It appears that the froggie has not makde a final determination on it yet. I think they need to resolve this because they are going to be more and more since it is an obvious geocaching method.

I dont understand why there is a delay in approving this type of cache. I know the technology is a wee bit new but the underlying concept is no different to the use of a compass or a gps or a cellphone. Were barcodes put on a "trial" before they were allowed to be used? And what is the purpose of a trial anyway, what is that going to prove?

Edited by peejay

They have no way to filter out Chirp caches but they exist. I agree there is no reason to do a trial . They should just be approved.

I thought the caches that used chirps are of type "beacon". I may be way off.

Beacon is the attribute to use. the type would be Unknown if it wasn't part of a multi. Info :)

Got the tags today and experimented.

3. Locus Pro: It opens and shows an icon which I can touch and it will either let me go directly (no turn by turn) or use a compass.

So it looks like Locus Pro would get the job done but I would have to touch the location icon and figure out how to drive there and then set it do compass and find it which is doable.

Hi,

just to inform you. You may write tag directly in Locus. Into this tag you may include not just coordinates, but whole point together with some specific action that should be done when this tag will be loaded. Anyway count that this tag may be then read only by Locus itself. Other apps will not be able to read it

They have no way to filter out Chirp caches but they exist. I agree there is no reason to do a trial . They should just be approved.

You're not way off. But Chirps are only one type of beacon. The "beacon" attribute is supposed to be a catch-all for all radio transmitting devices. From the way I read the guidelines, Walts Hunting is doing everything correctly, but I'm neither Groundspeak nor a volunteer, so my opinion only counts for... well... $30 a year I guess :) I'm very interested in the outcome of this one.

I've read about FM transmitters (morse code), wifi, bluetooth, for beacon types. Haven't actually found any though. I wonder if it is possible to make one that flashes light pulses. Need a long lasting power source and a way to trigger it remotely.

You're not way off. But Chirps are only one type of beacon. The "beacon" attribute is supposed to be a catch-all for all radio transmitting devices. From the way I read the guidelines, Walts Hunting is doing everything correctly, but I'm neither Groundspeak nor a volunteer, so my opinion only counts for... well... $30 a year I guess :) I'm very interested in the outcome of this one.

I've read about FM transmitters (morse code), wifi, bluetooth, for beacon types. Haven't actually found any though. I wonder if it is possible to make one that flashes light pulses. Need a long lasting power source and a way to trigger it remotely.

I am confusing "type" and "attribute". A very long time ago there was a cache here in Portland where people would gather at midnight and wait for a timer cache to to start blinking.

He didn't say. I guess they are being cautious with new technology. I really don't understand why there would be a problem.

I have sent a request off to appeals@geocaching.com on the advice of my local reviewer as he has heard nothing back. Will be interesting to see what happens now.

Finally got around to laying my cache today, it's a multi and you have to scan four tags to find the cache.

I started programming the tags using the method suggested by John E Cache here, but one of the issues is that there is a poor phone signal, so google maps doesn't open up very well. Another issue is that it programs the co-ordinates in decimal rather than DD MM.MMM as most GPSr units default to.

In the end I went for the best compatibility (and easiest to program) and used text format. Ironic really as I struggled to find suitable outdoor NTAG203 tags which would fit all the geolocation data on....and using text I could have used readily available Ultralight tags!

I started programming the tags using the method suggested by John E Cache here, but one of the issues is that there is a poor phone signal, so google maps doesn't open up very well. Another issue is that it programs the co-ordinates in decimal rather than DD MM.MMM as most GPSr units default to.

OOPs, thats what you get for debugging in your living room. I think everybody should have GPSStatus installed. It is very useful for all sensor statuses and battery percent charged. Then if you scan my tag, one of the options is "Radar". The radar points to the target and has the added feature that the location of the target is displayed in the units you set in menu->options->Units&Formatting->Location Format. That way you can program your handheld GPS without conversion in you like.

I have been searching for way to do both the geo: and text: messages on one tag and got bogged down in the very hard to read specs.

I have been using these NFC tags for a while now. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008UD1RPQ/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00 I have them strategically placed throughout the house and car, each programmed from various tasks. While the memory is overkill for just about any NFC need, they work well.

Same vendor has NTAG203 tags as well, for a slightly lower price. May be a better choice.