The undate. Please look and respond.

Professional surveyors aren't going to find miniphotos useful at all. However, my own angst comes over the scenic location photos that have become a signature item for many many benchmark recovery enthusiasts. There are arguably more scenic photos on the benchmark side of the site than on the caching side of the site, and those photos help shape my desire to visit a particular area and hunt both caches and benchmarks.

Moun10bike appears to be seeking a solution - in fairness I'm reserving any other comments until he's had a chance to sort out an answer. I'm sure he's as interested as anyone, as he too likes to post scenic location photos with his benchmark recovery logs.

I'm not sure about this, but maybe one answer is to let NGS handle the photos.

I have some problems with how NGS implements photos, notably a utilitarian interface and a lack of free-form captions that could be helpful in interpreting the photos. But I believe they are now allowing images up to 1024 pixels (long side), and — most critically — I trust that they will be in business a lot longer than Geocaching.com and will be a better steward of the data.

-ArtMan-

I'm not sure about this, but maybe one answer is to let NGS handle the photos.

I have some problems with how NGS implements photos, notably a utilitarian interface and a lack of free-form captions that could be helpful in interpreting the photos. But I believe they are now allowing images up to 1024 pixels (long side), and — most critically — I trust that they will be in business a lot longer than Geocaching.com and will be a better steward of the data.

-ArtMan-

That does sounds good in theory ArtMan, but really how many casual geocachers actually upload to the NGS, or post recovery reports directly to the NGS. Even some of our diehard benchmarkers here in this forum do not file recovery reports with the NGS

I would venture to say, that it is an extremely small percentage, especially when compared to all the benchmark photos on gc.com. I think DaveD has said in another forum post of the actual number of photos (thousands) he has harvested off the gc.com site.

I do agree that they will be better off in the NGS computers....which is probably one of the reasons why DaveD goes to all the trouble he does.

Hopefully, there will be some sort of solution found to allow the photos to stay like they always have been.

You'd think they would have at least had the decency to say 'Hey, were gonna trash your pictures. Would you like to download some full resolution copies?'

Posted that before seeing 2OF's post...so we may have a reprieve.

After all this, I don't think I trust them anymore... :(

I wonder how many TB (terabytes) I'll need to store all my BM images... :unsure:

You'd think they would have at least had the decency to say 'Hey, were gonna trash your pictures. Would you like to download some full resolution copies?'

Posted that before seeing 2OF's post...so we may have a reprieve.

After all this, I don't think I trust them anymore... :(

I wonder how many TB (terabytes) I'll need to store all my BM images... :unsure:

Oh, we have 32,850 pictures at 53.4 GB right now on each of our computers. But, we do have a 1.5 TB Seagate GoFlex with all of our movie collection on it. But there is a Seagate Expansion 500 GB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive STAX500102 at Amazon.com for $94.99 on sale. These small portable hard drives are the best for backing up your "Keepable Files" that might get trashed by any number of happenstances.

Just a heads up.;)

Shirley~

Groundspeak headquarters almost was toast once, along with their servers. That means that all of the picture files would have been lost. We do not trust any on-line storage to have our files, we have stand-alone 2 TB hard drives with mirror images of our computers (Thanks to Acronis True Image) that John updates fairly frequently. You just never know what might happen to your computers or if you buy a new computer, you can download all files to the new. It makes life simpler for us. So any pictures we have taken and uploaded, we still have.

It just would be soooo much trouble to have had to go into all of our finds and upload all of the previous years pictures once more. Here is hoping that they can fix things and our nice sized pictures will be restored.

Shirley~

The photos that I have uploaded since the fix are large and when clicked on, they become larger with a + that make them HUGE - more than full screen, which have to be scrolled to see all the corners.

Gee, it sounds like they've now eliminated the file size limitation they used to have. I hope people don't get carried away and upload really big photos. I can't see any reason to upload one that's more than a few hundred kilobytes. If people need bigger ones for research or desktop wallpaper, they can always contact the owner and have the file emailed to them. Sometimes in the forums people post big files that really slow down the page loading, especially if it's a thread with a lot of pictures (such as the Favorite Benchmark Photos thread). Such pages can take several seconds to load on my old laptop; I can't imagine what it would be like to read those postings on a smartphone!

Patty