*Disks* in trees?

foxtrot_xray

I was reading a document ("Manual of Geodetic Leveling"), and came across the following:

44. Since paragraph 41 now requires that benchmarks be established at 1-mile-intervals, except when transportation difficulties are unusually great, it shall be considered good practice, when operating along route where bench-mark trucks cannot be driven, and in the absence of rock outcrops, large well-imbedded boulders, or existing structures, to place bench marks at alternate mile intervals in trees. When bench marks are places in trees, there should be two marks established from one to three setups apart. Both marks should be in the main line of levels rather than on spurs. The marks should be set in trees by boring a hole in the tree to a depth equal to the solid portion of the shank of the disk and of a diameter slightly less than that of the shank, and then driving the tablet in the hole till the disk is flush with a previously smoothed surface.
(Emphasis added by me.)

Now, I've seen pictures of bearing trees and other items in trees - but I have never heard or seen images of a *disk* in a tree. This is news to me. Has anyone ever seen this?

I was reading a document ("Manual of Geodetic Leveling"), and came across the following:

44. Since paragraph 41 now requires that benchmarks be established at 1-mile-intervals, except when transportation difficulties are unusually great, it shall be considered good practice, when operating along route where bench-mark trucks cannot be driven, and in the absence of rock outcrops, large well-imbedded boulders, or existing structures, to place bench marks at alternate mile intervals in trees. When bench marks are places in trees, there should be two marks established from one to three setups apart. Both marks should be in the main line of levels rather than on spurs. The marks should be set in trees by boring a hole in the tree to a depth equal to the solid portion of the shank of the disk and of a diameter slightly less than that of the shank, and then driving the tablet in the hole till the disk is flush with a previously smoothed surface.
(Emphasis added by me.)

Now, I've seen pictures of bearing trees and other items in trees - but I have never heard or seen images of a *disk* in a tree. This is news to me. Has anyone ever seen this?

WOW! never seen this, but there are lot's of things I have never seen. I'd hate to be a sawmill worker and have a tree come in with a disk in it unbeknownst.

(Emphasis added by me.)

WOW! never seen this, but there are lot's of things I have never seen. I'd hate to be a sawmill worker and have a tree come in with a disk in it unbeknownst.

Fortunately they thought of that a while ago, logs that come into a sawmill go through a quick metal detector before getting cut up, to find oddities like nails and staples.

There is at least one USGS level run around here where the crew set some marks on stumps of sawed off branches, and a few of the marks were later incorporated into a C&GS level run. One example is CZ0600: "SET IN THE TOP OF A SAWED OFF LIMB OF A PALO VERDE TREE, ABOUT 1 FOOT ABOVE THE GROUND, REF. MARK 2184.0 STAMPED ON A METAL TAG FASTENED TO THE TREE." We didn't find this one, but we did find another from this USGS run that did not get a PID.

fyi........here is a few that were set here, there are a few more

RL1340_U.S. NATIONAL GRID SPATIAL ADDRESS: 16TBS947810(NAD 83)

RL1340_MARKER: DB = BENCH MARK DISK

RL1340_SETTING: 30 = SET IN A LIGHT STRUCTURE

RL1340_SP_SET: MAPLE TREE

RL1340_STAMPING: Z 135 1948

RL1340_STABILITY: D = MARK OF QUESTIONABLE OR UNKNOWN STABILITY

RL1340

RL1340 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By

RL1340 HISTORY - 1948 MONUMENTED CGS

RL1340 HISTORY - 1955 MARK NOT FOUND USGS

RL1340 HISTORY - 20040803 MARK NOT FOUND USPSQD

RL1340

RL1340 STATION DESCRIPTION

RL1340

RL1340'DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1948

RL1340'10.7 MI SW FROM SILVER CITY.

RL1340'ABOUT 2.6 MILES WEST ALONG STATE HIGHWAY 107 FROM ITS JUNCTION

RL1340'WITH STATE HIGHWAY 64 IN SILVER CITY, THENCE 4.5 MILES SOUTH ALONG

RL1340'THE NONESUCH MINE ROAD, THENCE 3.2 MILES WEST ALONG AN OLD ROAD

RL1340'TO THE END OF TRUCK TRAVEL AT A STREAM CROSSING, THENCE CONTINUING

RL1340'WEST 0.4 MILE ALONG A TRACTOR TRAIL LEADING TO THE WHITE PINE

RL1340'EXTENSION MINE, AT THE JUNCTION OF THE TRACTOR TRAIL WITH THE OLD

RL1340'ROAD LEADING FROM NONESUCH MINE TO WHITE PINE EXTENSION MINE, 0.85

RL1340'MILE EAST OF THE CROSSING OF LITTLE IRON RIVER, 48 FEET NORTH OF

RL1340'THE CENTER LINE OF THE OLD TRAIL, 10 FEET EAST-SOUTHEAST OF THE

RL1340'CENTER LINE OF THE TRACTOR TRAIL, 83.04 FEET NORTH-NORTHEAST AND

RL1340'ACROSS THE JUNCTION FROM THE HEAD OF A SPIKE IN THE CENTER OF THE

RL1340'TRIANGULAR BLAZE ON THE NORTH SIDE OF A 37-INCH SPRUCE TREE,

RL1340'23.17 FEET SOUTHEAST AND ACROSS THE TRAIL FROM THE HEAD OF A SPIKE

RL1340'IN THE CENTER OF A TRIANGULAR BLAZE ON THE EAST SIDE OF A 10-INCH

RL1340'MAPLE TREE, ABOUT 3 FEET ABOVE THE LEVEL OF THE GROUND AND THE

RL1340'TRAIL NORTH AND SET VERTICALLY IN THE WEST FACE OF AN 11-INCH MAPLE

RL1340'TREE. NOTE-- PROBABLY DESTROYED BY CONSTRUCTION OF NEW ROAD IN

RL1340'AREA.

RL1338_U.S. NATIONAL GRID SPATIAL ADDRESS: 16TBS940805(NAD 83)

RL1338_MARKER: DB = BENCH MARK DISK

RL1338_SETTING: 30 = SET IN A LIGHT STRUCTURE

RL1338_SP_SET: BIRCH TREE

RL1338_STAMPING: X 135 1948

RL1338_STABILITY: D = MARK OF QUESTIONABLE OR UNKNOWN STABILITY

RL1338

RL1338 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By

RL1338 HISTORY - 1948 MONUMENTED CGS

RL1338 HISTORY - 1955 MARK NOT FOUND USGS

RL1338 HISTORY - 20040803 MARK NOT FOUND USPSQD

RL1339_U.S. NATIONAL GRID SPATIAL ADDRESS: 16TBS946810(NAD 83)

RL1339_MARKER: DB = BENCH MARK DISK

RL1339_SETTING: 30 = SET IN A LIGHT STRUCTURE

RL1339_SP_SET: HEMLOCK TREE

RL1339_STAMPING: Y 135 1948

RL1339_STABILITY: D = MARK OF QUESTIONABLE OR UNKNOWN STABILITY

Edited by Z15