Geocaching.com site update Jan 17th 2012

Would you be able to please provide the code to lose the "Your Unpublished Disabled Caches" list?

Unfortunately that section isn't enclosed in any modern structural HTML blocks that would make it possible to hide it...

If you can incorporate any regular expressions into the app, you could match and remove:

(<h3>Your Unpublished Disabled Caches[\s\S]+?</ul>)

That would clear out the entire block. In Firefox you can use a greasemonkey script easily

A few people on here have expressed the desire to not see the last 5 recently viewed cache list on the My Profile page. In our next release there will be an option to hide that section.

Going forward we'll try to make these types of things configurable.

-Raine

I hope that there is an easy way to access it, though, without going into the Account Details setup screen to unhide it. It should always be available, just not quite as blatent. That's my thoughts, anyway.

Recently Viewed Geocaches

Have you ever been out for a day of caching and then struggled to remember which caches you found so you could log them? In this update we added a list of caches you recently viewed to the profile and a new top navigation link under "Play" to directly view the list. The last 50 viewed caches are included and are saved for 10 days.

Is there a way to turn this off, please? I would much rather see our current log activity at the top of the page.

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

As always, ABP to the rescue with an element hiding rule:

geocaching.com#div(id=ctl00_ContentBody_RecentlyViewedCachesPanel)

Would you be able to please provide the code to lose the "Your Unpublished Disabled Caches" list?

Publish them and they won't be there. Next time you put a cache out, use one of those instead of creating a new one.

A few people on here have expressed the desire to not see the last 5 recently viewed cache list on the My Profile page. In our next release there will be an option to hide that section.

-Raine

Wonderful! Thank you so much! :D

Mrs. Car54

Have you ever been out for a day of caching and then struggled to remember which caches you found so you could log them? In this update we added a list of caches you recently viewed to the profile and a new top navigation link under "Play" to directly view the list. The last 50 viewed caches are included and are saved for 10 days.

Is there a way to turn this off, please? I would much rather see our current log activity at the top of the page.

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

As always, ABP to the rescue with an element hiding rule:

geocaching.com#div(id=ctl00_ContentBody_RecentlyViewedCachesPanel)

Publish them and they won't be there. Next time you put a cache out, use one of those instead of creating a new one.

I use it as a library for images for the forums (too lazy to join Flickr).

Patient to doctor : Doc! It hurts when I hit my head against the wall. What should I do?

Edit to suggest a solution : register another account and use that account's unpublished cache for your image storage.

Edited by Chrysalides

Why not just use a site like TinyPic?

-Raine

Much appreciated.

Noticed that caches that are placed on an ignore list contnue to be visible on the "Recently Viewed" list...which seems kinda counterintuitive, since if I placed them on an ignore list I likely really won't have any reason to either go back to them or be reminded that I placed them on that list. Would it be perhaps possible to integrate their (ignored caches) disappearance from this list in the subsequent update referenced above?

-Raine

Much appreciated.

Noticed that caches that are placed on an ignore list contnue to be visible on the "Recently Viewed" list...which seems kinda counterintuitive, since if I placed them on an ignore list I likely really won't have any reason to either go back to them or be reminded that I placed them on that list. Would it be perhaps possible to integrate their (ignored caches) disappearance from this list in the subsequent update referenced above?

The list is an honest history of caches you recently viewed, so I feel it makes more sense to include ignored caches. They'll be pushed off the list as you view more caches and eventually disappear in 10 days anyway.

-Raine

thank you for saving a lot of people from getting mouse induced scrollitis :P:anibad:

That depends partly on whether the hidden section will still cause the page to sssstttrrrreeeeettttttccccchhhh horizontally.

Save us from some vertical scrollitis, anyway.

Created new "large" image size for cache image previews and image edits instead of displaying the original image size

Could somebody explain this one to me? I don't get it.

I believe it means that when you upload an image, you see a larger size than the previous thumbnail version. I haven't tried editing an image yet, but I did notice the larger size displayed immediately after upload.

Removed Google Map API from Trackables maps and replaced with Leaflet/open-map:

Hmm, the track of the map is not cyclic! when i move from australia to the usa, the track should go over the pacific ocean, not over africa. it's very confusing and needs a fix!

also. I have a TB with four hundred entries... it does not show on a map at all. quarter of a million kilometers!

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

Yes, I too would like the ability to turn this new "feature" off.

You guys do realize it is only the latest 5 caches that are displayed here right? It is only on the detailed view that 50 are shown. We can look into adding the ability to minimize those lists if it becomes a real issue.

Yup. Still don't like it. Clutters up the page, especially the way the separator lines are inserted.

Personally, I'd like to see nothing more on there than my last 30 days of logs. Everything else can be accessed via top menu or sidebar selections.

I agree with Semper Questio. --Dulce-Joy

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

I kinda like the "Recently Viewed Geocaches" list. It doesn't take up much room, it only shows the 5 most recently viewed caches. I've already used it few times this morning answering a couple of questions on one of my puzzle caches :D .

I've gotten used to it and I kind of like it, too.

Removed Google Map API from Trackables maps and replaced with Leaflet/open-map:

Hmm, the track of the map is not cyclic! when i move from australia to the usa, the track should go over the pacific ocean, not over africa. it's very confusing and needs a fix!

Now that you mention it, there is a problem. See my TB here that went from Canada to Australia. Under the Google Maps, it took the short way across the Pacific. Now it's going the long way around.

I've actually found the Recently Viewed feature useful twice now; I couldn't remember which cache I just looked at had a specific thing, but it was easy to click back through the list to find it.

I'm also really grateful for the enhancement to trackable logging. My memory is terrible, and I always forget the code between the time I type it in to "find" the trackable and when I create the log.

Back to Penciling in corrected coordinates for Mystery caches. Great feature! Thank you! I pencil the updated coordinates, and as expected, the map self updates to the 'real' location.

One thing I have noticed is that after I find the Mystery cache with penciled in coordinates, the map puts the smiley back at the original location. Is there a way to keep the smiley at the corrected, penciled in coordinates? Maybe this is only happening to me?...

Keep up the good work!

I don't know if this change was intended or happened by accident:

When entering a new log, the date does not jump to the current date anymore but remains on the date of the last log.

The way it has been for a long time is the first log you enter it has the current date. If you change the date, say your logging finds from a couple days ago, the next log will have the date you entered. This is a very desirable feature if your entering a number of caches a couple days late. Let's hope TPTB *never* change this behavior.

When entering a new log, the date does not jump to the current date anymore but remains on the date of the last log.

The way it has been for a long time is the first log you enter it has the current date. If you change the date, say your logging finds from a couple days ago, the next log will have the date you entered. This is a very desirable feature if your entering a number of caches a couple days late. Let's hope TPTB *never* change this behavior.

Agree completely with jholly on this.

This is how it has always been, no? At least for me it has been.

I really thought it was different before... Hmm... seems I was wrong ;)

Except that the "current" date is Seattle time and in this neck of the woods that is yesterday. So for Kiwi cachers you always have to advance the clock if you are logging on the same day. There's many a time I've had to go back and edit logs to bring them into NZ standard time.

(I do agree about the form "remembering" the date once set however).

Except that the "current" date is Seattle time and in this neck of the woods that is yesterday. So for Kiwi cachers you always have to advance the clock if you are logging on the same day. There's many a time I've had to go back and edit logs to bring them into NZ standard time.

(I do agree about the form "remembering" the date once set however).

You have a valid complaint, but unfortunately it does not seem to be very high on the frog's list of things to fix.

Back to Penciling in corrected coordinates for Mystery caches. Great feature! Thank you! I pencil the updated coordinates, and as expected, the map self updates to the 'real' location.

I like it very much. But my map shows me the updated coordinates at the original position, not at the 'real' location.

One thing I have noticed is that after I find the Mystery cache with penciled in coordinates, the map puts the smiley back at the original location. Is there a way to keep the smiley at the corrected, penciled in coordinates?

Better not ! Because some big mysteryseries build a funny symbol on the map (like a smiley, a heart, an airplane ...), so its better, the found-smiley are postitioned at the original coordinates. It looks so beautiful, if there is a big heart of smileys on the map.

Greetings from Germany,

Team Erdferkl

No that is not true. There has been a change, at least is what I am experiencing under two different setups. I had no issues with how it has been until very recently. Now it happened several times to me that my first log of that day was dated back to the date of my last log. On January 25 it used January 23. Yesterday it has been January 27 and today January 28 (in the late evening and not before 9:00 am in the morning).

I wish that the date of the first log is set back to the date of the current day - I can live with that the fact that server is using Groundspeak's time, but I am not used to checking the date all the time as I am used to that when logging on the same day, the date is correct.

Cezanne

I wish that the date of the first log is set back to the date of the current day

I think that's where the problem lies. What is the "first log"? Is it based on your local day, Groundspeak's day, a period of time since your last log, etc.

I suspect the way the site works is that when Groundspeak in Seattle rolls over to a new day, that's the instant that the site sets the default date to the current day. With cachers around the world, this will always lead to strange things happening for some depending on time zones.

Unfortunately, they don't seem very motivated to fix the many known time zone related issues, so you're probably going to have to live with these problems for a while.

The site has long remembered your log date within your current logging session. But previously it would reset when you logged out, or closed your browser. Since the last update, it seems to be remembering your last date no matter what. I wish it would go back to the previous behavior.

I wish that the date of the first log is set back to the date of the current day

I think that's where the problem lies. What is the "first log"? Is it based on your local day, Groundspeak's day, a period of time since your last log, etc.

I suspect the way the site works is that when Groundspeak in Seattle rolls over to a new day, that's the instant that the site sets the default date to the current day. With cachers around the world, this will always lead to strange things happening for some depending on time zones.

Unfortunately, they don't seem very motivated to fix the many known time zone related issues, so you're probably going to have to live with these problems for a while.

No, the problem is not a problem of timezones. I was happy with how it has worked for many years. The behaviour I do not like only occurs since the last update. You have cut my explanation that I do not mind that only after 9am local time Groundspeak switches to the new day. I just do not like that the date of my first log on January 30 will be January 2 if I cached for the last time on January 2.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

No that is not true. There has been a change, at least is what I am experiencing under two different setups. I had no issues with how it has been until very recently. Now it happened several times to me that my first log of that day was dated back to the date of my last log. On January 25 it used January 23. Yesterday it has been January 27 and today January 28 (in the late evening and not before 9:00 am in the morning).

I wish that the date of the first log is set back to the date of the current day - I can live with that the fact that server is using Groundspeak's time, but I am not used to checking the date all the time as I am used to that when logging on the same day, the date is correct.

Thank you for your explanation, Cezanne. I knew there was something different, but did not exactly know how it was before. "Something" changed, I still run into wrong date entries that did not happen before the update.

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this, but I have a suggestion for the public profile page. Currently, GC is displaying a players Find, Trackable, and Challenge counts. However, there is no reference to the number of hides they have. I think that stat would be more relevant than the number of trackables they've moved or challenges they've completed. Would it be possible to have that value added to the public profile page?

Please, and thank you.

note: If this isn't the correct place to post suggestions, can you let me know where? Now that the feedback tab is gone, I feel kind of lost.

Thanks!

The site has long remembered your log date within your current logging session. But previously it would reset when you logged out, or closed your browser. Since the last update, it seems to be remembering your last date no matter what. I wish it would go back to the previous behavior.

Yep, same issue for me! I've mistakenly logged caches on the wrong date due to this. I'll find a cache on the 25th log it, then find another on the 28th and go to log it and it listed the date as the 25th. I caught it only because I'm doing the day challenge and noticed that my day was still blank. Doesn't look good when I go in to edit the date..

Thank you for your explanation, Cezanne. I knew there was something different, but did not exactly know how it was before. "Something" changed, I still run into wrong date entries that did not happen before the update.

I have the same problem. but it depends what computer I'm using. My work computer (PC) keeps the prior date, not matter if I close out or keep it open. I also have major problems with the map on that computer--the beta map does not show any caches at all, I have to go back to the old map, and that always opens in Seattle. My home MacBook and netbook (PC) both show the current date plus the beta map is fine. On my Mac, there is not button to click to decrypt the clue--I have to go to the link to print the cache to get that to show.

Continuing a discussion from the previous release notes thread...
Why?
Because I had already composed my reply when the other thread was locked, and this seemed like the most reasonable place to continue the discussion.

Even though it has nothing at all to do with this topic?

Anyway, about the update...

The new Recently Viewed Caches is great and all, but I've got a couple of issues with it.

1. The intention seems to be to make it easier for people to log caches. If this is the case, then why are caches I've already found or own shown in this list?

2. The placement on the profile page is very disruptive. Instead of having my recent activity near the top, it has been bumped down below a section that I suspect will not be used by many cachers. For all the cachers that log using GPSr field notes or through the app, this section will not be very helpful, and actually gets in the way. At least let us disable it or collapse it.

One thing that should be updated on the Recently Viewed Caches page is the "Log it" icon. It really needs to have a hover tooltip. I had to hover over it and look at the URL to realize what it was. Newer cachers or "computer-challenged" users may not figure it out.

As far as the other changes, thank you for fixing the image size issue! That was very annoying, and it's great to see them back to full size. I also greatly appreciate the autopopulating of trackable codes. That will make logging trackables much easier and faster.

I don't need to see the Recently view Caches, It would be nice to have this as an option that the user could turn on and off.

If making it a user option how about making two columns so the Recenlty Found caches can still be seen with out having to scroll to the bottom of the page.

New Features:

• When a user searches for a Trackable using the private code the code will now automatically populate the "Add a log Entry" form field

I stumbled upon this new feature this weekend when logging a list of trackables discovered at an event.

Incredibly useful feature! Thanks!

A new cache in my vicinity lists with the hint decrypted by default. No idea why, but perhaps it is related to this update.

http://coord.info/GC351MV

Are you sure the CO didn't just enter the hint in rot13, so it would appear unencrypted when the site displayed it rot13?

Yes, sneaky! Since most software decrypts by default, the text will be displayed as encrypted.

It's possible. I will ask the CO when I get a chance.

It's such a shame the Feedback page was cancelled :( :( :(

I don't know where to put the below now, is this the right place??

I miss "Last Found: XX/YY/ZZZZ" in the cache bubbles on the map,

so I don't need to go to every listing when I want to quickly depart for caching.

last_found_in_map_bubble.png

Edited by jozin.cz