Geocaching.com site update Jan 17th 2012

Recently Viewed Geocaches

Have you ever been out for a day of caching and then struggled to remember which caches you found so you could log them? In this update we added a list of caches you recently viewed to the profile and a new top navigation link under "Play" to directly view the list. The last 50 viewed caches are included and are saved for 10 days.

Is there a way to turn this off, please? I would much rather see our current log activity at the top of the page.

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

I am agreeing with this request. I really do like the feature, just not the placement. Perhaps a tabbed interface would make everybody happy?

i wouldn't mind the placement if it only showed the last cache i looked at, as a reminder that the feature is there, and by clicking on the "view all" would take me to the full list

as it is now once i looked at 50 caches that section is going to take over my profile page

Have you ever been out for a day of caching and then struggled to remember which caches you found so you could log them? In this update we added a list of caches you recently viewed to the profile and a new top navigation link under "Play" to directly view the list. The last 50 viewed caches are included and are saved for 10 days.

Is there a way to turn this off, please? I would much rather see our current log activity at the top of the page.

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

I kinda like the "Recently Viewed Geocaches" list. It doesn't take up much room, it only shows the 5 most recently viewed caches. I've already used it few times this morning answering a couple of questions on one of my puzzle caches :D .

I like the idea of the "Recently Viewed Caches" but along with the majority I don't like the placement of it. I'd be happy with a tab to click on to get that information.

I don't see it being useful to find a cache because I forgot which ones I found. I see it more useful for going back and forth to a puzzle I'm trying to solve, or looking at caches in a area planning a trip.

And I certainly don't need to see my caches that I own on that list. I can click on the already existing "Yours" to view those, which I do quite often.

So good idea, just could use a couple of modifications in my opinion.

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

Yes, I too would like the ability to turn this new "feature" off.

You guys do realize it is only the latest 5 caches that are displayed here right? It is only on the detailed view that 50 are shown. We can look into adding the ability to minimize those lists if it becomes a real issue.

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

You guys do realize it is only the latest 5 caches that are displayed here right? It is only on the detailed view that 50 are shown. We can look into adding the ability to minimize those lists if it becomes a real issue.

Yup. Still don't like it. Clutters up the page, especially the way the separator lines are inserted.

Personally, I'd like to see nothing more on there than my last 30 days of logs. Everything else can be accessed via top menu or sidebar selections.

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

I also agree with the wish to see only a link or button, to have a look on the list.

And I'd rather see a reminder for pending Field Notes, displaying the amount of them...

Thank You

Franz

May I ask why the Slovenian (and other Slovan lengueges) letters in HTML codins (reffering to letter "Č" ) does not work?

Why don't you remove X any Y too? We don't need them for our language.

Yes, please full Unicode support!

I can't understand how it's possible that you still don't fully support Unicode :mad: (there is no charge for using it as is the case for google maps)

Getting this message when clicking a link in a log:

System.FormatException: Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx). at System.Guid.GuidResult.SetFailure(ParseFailureKind failure, String failureMessageID, Object failureMessageFormatArgument, String failureArgumentName, Exception innerException) at System.Guid.TryParseGuidWithDashes(String guidString, GuidResult& result) at System.Guid.TryParseGuid(String g, GuidStyles flags, GuidResult& result) at System.Guid..ctor(String g) at Geocaching.UI.LogBookPanel.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

May I ask why the Slovenian (and other Slovan lengueges) letters in HTML codins (reffering to letter "Č" ) does not work?

I can't understand how it's possible that you still don't fully support Unicode :mad: (there is no charge for using it as is the case for google maps)

Domo!!!

+1 for that.

Unicode support!!!

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

well the original announcement didn't say that, sounded more like 50 caches will show up all at once

in that case, i don't mind the placement at all

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

As always, ABP to the rescue with an element hiding rule:

geocaching.com#div(id=ctl00_ContentBody_RecentlyViewedCachesPanel)

Thank you SO much for this great bit of code. I've only seen that list on my page for half an hour or so, and it's getting in the way already. I've entered your code in ABP (I'm a Chrome user) and BINGO! "Not-useful-list-which-takes-up-all-my-profile-page" GONE Hooray! How I wish that all life's annoyances could be disposed of so easily!

Wow! Hate that! I want to look at the caches I've logged recently. That's intresting! I hae no use whatsoever for a list of caches I've looked at. Put it at the bottom, please. Inconveniencing normal cachers for the sake of the ones who cannot remember where they went today seems unfriendly to normal users.

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

I kinda like the "Recently Viewed Geocaches" list. It doesn't take up much room, it only shows the 5 most recently viewed caches. I've already used it few times this morning answering a couple of questions on one of my puzzle caches :D .

Not 5... 50. I like it, too. I can see some real usefulness. I just don't want it in my face so much.

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

No. I did not realize that. Not so bad, then. I can live with that. Its a nice idea... kudos to whoever came up with the idea.

Since the site update I've run a single pocket query. Within that pocket query was a puzzle that I had solved, and I had previously updated the coordinates on the cache page to reflect the corrected/solved coordinates. In a PQ from earlier today before the update, this cache was included with the corrected/solved coordinates. But in the PQ from today, the coordinates had reverted back to the original unsolved coordinates. For those of you with the power to look at my pocket queries, compare GC1GBZ5 in the following PQs ready for download: "AA To Do List" and "CO Denver DIA".

No. I did not realize that. Not so bad, then. I can live with that. Its a nice idea... kudos to whoever came up with the idea.

I agree, now that I've seen it with the actual five there it looks fine. Not that obtrusive. When I first read it I assumed there would be 50, I see now that the 50 is in the exapnded view.

Edited by cheech gang

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

Having only 5 caches show there doesn't bother me near as much as the trend that all new features tend to go to the top, and thus push to a lower position on the page any already established and potentially much enjoyed feature. I recall a time when the "Search for geocaches near your home location & filter out finds" selections were near the top, but slowly over time that get pushed down underneath the Stats Bar, the profile and avatar info, a Favorites box, and who knows what might come next.

I'm open to the fact that the page layout will change over time, and I understand that I can't do much about that. I would hope, however, that someone is looking at all the bells and whistles that are being added over time, and that those items which get the most frequent use are kept toward the top, and those items which get little activity are moved out of the prime real estate areas. There are certainly a number of website and log analysis tools out there can that do this type of analysis quite easily.

Since the site update I've run a single pocket query. Within that pocket query was a puzzle that I had solved, and I had previously updated the coordinates on the cache page to reflect the corrected/solved coordinates. In a PQ from earlier today before the update, this cache was included with the corrected/solved coordinates. But in the PQ from today, the coordinates had reverted back to the original unsolved coordinates. For those of you with the power to look at my pocket queries, compare GC1GBZ5 in the following PQs ready for download: "AA To Do List" and "CO Denver DIA".

Thank you for reporting this. I've been able to reproduce the behavior and have entered a bug in our database.

I agree, now that I've seen it with the actual five there it looks fine. Not that obtrusive. When I first read it I assumed there would be 50, I see now that the 50 is in the exapnded view.

I agree, I don't like it. Wish I could turn it off.

GLK1

Update: Recently Viewed Caches list (Bye bye confidentiality)

My girlfriend and I, we both use our GC team account. As a present for her birthday next week, I had prepared a one day surprise trip to our favourite vacation resort in the highlands. In preparation, I have also been looking for cool and promising cache listings at the planned destination. Now, after the recent site update, this morning she was able to foresee the whole thing, thanks to the new Recently Viewed Caches list. In almost six years of Geocaching, we have not been affronted with such an insensitive and indiscretionary functional extension. This situation is unbearable for both of us. So our request is to

• retract that shady memory feature or at least
  • make it optional within the users' account preferences

Kind regards from Germany,

Gero & Jutta (Team drkurt)

My girlfriend and I, we both use our GC team account. As a present for her birthday next week, I had prepared a one day surprise trip to our favourite vacation resort in the highlands. In preparation, I have also been looking for cool and promising cache listings at the planned destination. Now, after the recent site update, this morning she was able to foresee the whole thing, thanks to the new Recently Viewed Caches list. In almost six years of Geocaching, we have not been affronted with such an insensitive and indiscretionary functional extension. This situation is unbearable for both of us. So our request is to

This certainly wasn't one of our use case scenarios. :sad:

Update: Recently Viewed Caches list

Would it be possible to make this an option or to appear at the bottom of the page? I prefer to have my logs appear first. The way it is currently set up, it shows duplicate caches (recently viewed and logged) on my profile page.

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

Not 5... 50. I like it, too. I can see some real usefulness. I just don't want it in my face so much.

On "Your Profile" page it is only the 5 most recently viewed.

The pictures size for the benchmarks were to be fixed I thought. It didn't happen. When you go to a log, the picture - when clicked on has a smaller picture come up than on Cache logs. Then even when you click view log, and then click the picture in the viewer, on caches it gets to a larger size, on benchmark logs it doesn't. We were told it would be up for a fix on the 17th. Maybe a month from now, or was it missed somehow?

Will this be fixed at all?

Thank you for your time.

Shirley~

This is indicated as having been corrected in today's release. Are you looking at benchmark images uploaded after the update or before?

It shouldn't matter when the images were uploaded.

Some of us have entrusted what we consider some very important images to this site's care.

You could have at least allowed us the opportunity to download the full-resolution images before you trashed our work. :mad:

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

I am agreeing with this request. I really do like the feature, just not the placement. Perhaps a tabbed interface would make everybody happy?

Total agreement. I want to see my recent logs at the top, as before. Make the Recently Viewed Caches an option - linked page or tab, e.g. Many of my "recently viewed caches" will not be new finds - I look at cache pages for many reasons - so the prime page real estate will be filled with unnecessary cache listings.

Edited by hydnsek

Update: Recently Viewed Caches list

Would it be possible to make this an option or to appear at the bottom of the page? I prefer to have my logs appear first. The way it is currently set up, it shows duplicate caches (recently viewed and logged) on my profile page.

I would like to disable this as well. Cache names have very little meaning to me anymore especially if I've been looking at a lot of them recently. But their location is very meaningful to me. That's why I use the GC.com maps a lot for planning and logging. Plus I very rarely look at caches online in the order I find them, so the recently viewed list isn't very useful for logging (assuming users care about find order and milestones).

If it must stay and I can't disable it, I will say I appreciate including the GC code on the page.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the GC code is displayed anywhere on the confirmation page after a log is submitted. This has always annoyed me. I have a long list of found GC codes on 60csx and I sometimes lose track of where I am on the list. I'd like to see the GC code on that page instead of having to navigate back (or forward) to see it.

• Fixed bug which caused mobile app logs to lose carriage returns when displayed on the website

Although this one may seem to be small potatoes in view of other discussions here, it is huge for me! Thanks for addressing this issue.

Ken

If it must stay and I can't disable it, I will say I appreciate including the GC code on the page.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the GC code is displayed anywhere on the confirmation page after a log is submitted. This has always annoyed me. I have a long list of found GC codes on 60csx and I sometimes lose track of where I am on the list. I'd like to see the GC code on that page instead of having to navigate back (or forward) to see it.

you're mixing apples and oranges, i.e. that's two unrelated things

the GC codes are displayed in the list of last viewed caches

having the GC codes display for logs has nothing to do with last viewed caches list

As always, ABP to the rescue with an element hiding rule:

geocaching.com#div(id=ctl00_ContentBody_RecentlyViewedCachesPanel)

I figured this out on my own, thanks to your many earlier examples :)

oooohhhhh - that's really cool !!!!!!

thanks !!!!!

This certainly wasn't one of our use case scenarios. :sad:

Then maybe you should ...oh, I don't know... ASK us before implementing things? Get an opinion? Or at least give us the options to turn on and off various panes and settings?

I mean, it'd help with the bandwidth, as certain parts would never be called against the database.

I too would like to see the recently viewed cache list gone. Sometimes I just go looking at caches that i will never go after due to distance or because i get a link to them on the forums due to some thread there. No need to look at them again.

Edited by Ashallond

you're mixing apples and oranges, i.e. that's two unrelated things

the GC codes are displayed in the list of last viewed caches

having the GC codes display for logs has nothing to do with last viewed caches list

I don't want to start an argument over semantics, but yes they are related. They are both ostensibly used for submitting your next log. The recently viewed caches list has the "log it" link and the log confirmation page has the input box for a GC code at the bottom of the page. The GC code on the recently viewed list will make it easy to match to the calendar on my 60csx while I was lamenting that the confirmation page had no such code.

I also have no use for the recently viewed caches list. Ctrl-H in Firefox serves the users needs in this regard completely; I never use it for this so I am pretty sure I don’t need this feature.

Now if, instead, you put a list of my owned caches that need servicing, then I will dislike that just as much, but at least it would be for the common good. :unsure:

Looks to me like it is an issue. I can see it's uses for some, but at least for me I would rather not see it up top, 5 or 50.

I guess I understand why the maps are changed but I would rather pay more and have something useful. I haven't experimented that much, but if routing is seriously degraded then that is a very bad thing.

This may not be the place to ask, but the option to reorder or hide sections on the right side of "Your Profile" so I can see the useful stuff first would be good.

I guess I understand why the maps are changed but I would rather pay more and have something useful. I haven't experimented that much, but if routing is seriously degraded then that is a very bad thing.

I, too, would be willing to pay more for the best possible maps.

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

Having only 5 caches show there doesn't bother me near as much as the trend that all new features tend to go to the top, and thus push to a lower position on the page any already established and potentially much enjoyed feature. I recall a time when the "Search for geocaches near your home location & filter out finds" selections were near the top, but slowly over time that get pushed down underneath the Stats Bar, the profile and avatar info, a Favorites box, and who knows what might come next.

I'm open to the fact that the page layout will change over time, and I understand that I can't do much about that. I would hope, however, that someone is looking at all the bells and whistles that are being added over time, and that those items which get the most frequent use are kept toward the top, and those items which get little activity are moved out of the prime real estate areas. There are certainly a number of website and log analysis tools out there can that do this type of analysis quite easily.

Thank you,

Mrs. Car54

I may have posted this in the wrong place, BUT I would really like to TURN THIS OFF!!!!

Thank you for reporting this. I've been able to reproduce the behavior and have entered a bug in our database.

Well, "thank you" for this bug :mad: !!

Fortunately it was mentioned on another forum I'm reading! Otherwise I'd probably noticed it only on my next weekend caching tour, when I would have wondered why I can't find any of the solved puzzle caches I had uploaded to my GPS device via a PQ!

So I'd really appreciate if this could be hotfixed very quickly. Thank you!

as an osm contributor and infrequent geocacher - awesome move to openstreetmap data based maps. for europe they are of much better quality than google ones, and i have the exact same map in my browser, in geocaching.com site, in my garmin device and in my phone. neat.

also, leaflet works without any issues at all on geocaching.com with opera 11.60 (for those missing the point, leaflet is just the library used to display maps, maps themselves are osm data, rendered by mapquest).

Recently Viewed Caches was an awful thing to do. It's useless and intrusive. I have troubles thinking about a situation when the so called feature can be of some use to me. Meanwhile it will daily ruin my experience by forcing me to scroll down a bit to find the really important information.

And, of course, the list of found caches is still presented in a single page. How crazy is it to retrieve a list of (in my case) about 4600 records from a database in a single page? Instead of improving this, what does the team do? Launches still another non requested so called feature.

Domo!!!

+1 for that.

Unicode support!!!

I vill ask one more time. Vhj there is no ansver from Groundspeak about this "little" issue about unicode support. Vhj are some characters filtered out? Can some admin please ansver to this oustion.

p.s. This tekst is intentionallj vritten vithout "special" english letters. This is hov description of our Slovenian caches looks like.

Thank jou!

Domo!!!

+1 for that.

Unicode support!!!

I vill ask one more time. Vhj there is no ansver from Groundspeak about this "little" issue about unicode support. Vhj are some characters filtered out? Can some admin please ansver to this oustion.

p.s. This tekst is intentionallj vritten vithout "special" english letters. This is hov description of our Slovenian caches looks like.

Thank jou!

+1

I also think It vould be great, if Unicode for the Slovenian letters vould be enabled. Othervise it is realli annoing to read the tekst.

Please enable it, Thank jou :)