Geocaching Shore Excursion

yorelken

On my honeymoon, I geocached on three shore excursions. No geocaching excursion was offered.

I wouldn't have paid an excursion fee to do it unless it was well organized, mapped, and planned before we arrived. And that it took me to interesting areas and/or out of the way non-touristy places. Otherwise, caches are everywhere mannnn.

Edited by Snoogans

On my honeymoon, I geocached on three shore excursions. No geocaching excursion was offered.

I wouldn't have paid an excursion fee to do it unless it was well organized, mapped, and planned before we arrived. And that it took me to interesting areas and/or out of the way non-touristy places. Otherwise, caches are everywhere mannnn.

Thanks for your insight.

Some of my favorite geocaching experiences have been from cruise ships. On St. Maarten in 2002, we grabbed a taxi and went out to Orient Yourself on Orient Beach. The cab driver thought we were hilarious doing this weird sport and took us home to meet her grandchildren.

On Curacao in 2005, I took a cab to what appeared to be a trail entrance to Pittig Ding, and told the driver to come back in 90 minutes. I emerged just in time, scratched, bleeding, and having recovered my lost money and cruise ship ID that was torn out of my backpack on the way.

They were both awesome adventures. Somehow I don't think a guided tour would have been the same.

Some of my favorite geocaching experiences have been from cruise ships. On St. Maarten in 2002, we grabbed a taxi and went out to Orient Yourself on Orient Beach. The cab driver thought we were hilarious doing this weird sport and took us home to meet her grandchildren.

On Curacao in 2005, I took a cab to what appeared to be a trail entrance to Pittig Ding, and told the driver to come back in 90 minutes. I emerged just in time, scratched, bleeding, and having recovered my lost money and cruise ship ID that was torn out of my backpack on the way.

They were both awesome adventures. Somehow I don't think a guided tour would have been the same.

Gee, sorry I mentioned it. I merely thought it was of some interest. Didn't realize I was in such awesome company.

Edited by yorelken

How much is the cost and how far do they take you? If it just involves geocaching around the city, I would save my money as most shore excursions are long enough that you could geocache around town at your own leisure and you can get a good walking tour of the town on your own. If they are taking you miles inland to more remote locations with a knowledgeable guide , then I could see a value in it.

What cruise line is it?

How much is the cost and how far do they take you? If it just involves geocaching around the city, I would save my money as most shore excursions are long enough that you could geocache around town at your own leisure and you can get a good walking tour of the town on your own. If they are taking you miles inland to more remote locations with a knowledgeable guide , then I could see a value in it.

What cruise line is it?

Celebrity Lines. I don't plan to take it. I do my own caching as you mention. I thought it might be of interest from the point of view of caching becoming more "mainstream", if that's good. And it is pricey. But you get to ride in a Hummer. Let's hope the captain has a GPS.

Did these caches on our cruise in 03, getting there was half the fun. The other half was hoping that you'd get back in time!

Except for this one, saw it from the boat Skagway cliffs Alaska

Bridge over troubled water

Camp Skagway No.1

Museum Trading Post

Gold Creek Cache

KETCH ME IF YOU KAN

Interesting that there's an excursion offered for geocaching. I cruised to Alaska on Princess and there wasn't anything of that sort offered. I didn't do a lot of geocaching on the cruise but we did snag a few:

Butchart Gardens

Bin Caching TB Hotel

Skagway Cliffs

Altoids Alaska

Camp Skagway No. 1

Lil Miss Mollie

A Tribute to Patsy Ann

We did 3 shore excursions -- one to Butchart Gardens where I snagged the virtual cache -- but they were EXPENSIVE as heck! Fortunately my son paid for all three of the excursions. :)