Multi with physical stages

Every multi that I have done takes you to a location or usually a number of locations where you find numbers from a building, or a gravestone etc. Once you have visited all the points you calculate the final location and go and get the physical cache container.

I have never found one where you find a container containing the coordinates of the next stage, which leads to another eventually to the cache. Which makes me want to hide one like this :lol: .

I can see that some "numbers hounds" would feel cheated that you only get one smiley for all the effort, especially if they find a few micros leading up to the cache but then again, they don't like the usual sort of multi. I am thinking that rather than have a container at the intermediate locations, I would have a laminated label or maybe a clear plastic keyfob containing the next coordinates. That way people wouldn't think the logbook had gone missing, add their own replacement then stop at the first stage.

Has anyone set a cache like this? How did it go?

I've set some and I've done loads of them. Much the same as a multi with virtual stages, except that it is more likely to go missing than a well chosen virtual stage. And that is really the main disadvantage - if one stage is missing you just get stuck at that point. It happened to me a couple of months ago, after about 4 miles one stage was missing and that was it for the cache, and as it was a long way from home it may be a long time before I can get back there.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

They do exist, here is an example (shame it's now a micro). I enjoyed that one, but others, especially with multiple physical stages have been frustrating.

The key thing to remember is that you are multiplying the amount of maintainance you will need to do as there are now X number of hides to go missing. It would be very frustrating to find 9 caches then not be able to log a find because cache number 10 has gone walkies.

I think for a short walk, or a micro leading to a proper sized cache it could be fun, but if it's a longer walk seperate caches would be the way I would go.

Philip

Every multi that I have done takes you to a location or usually a number of locations where you find numbers from a building, or a gravestone etc. Once you have visited all the points you calculate the final location and go and get the physical cache container.

I have never found one where you find a container containing the coordinates of the next stage, which leads to another eventually to the cache. Which makes me want to hide one like this :lol: .

I can see that some "numbers hounds" would feel cheated that you only get one smiley for all the effort, especially if they find a few micros leading up to the cache but then again, they don't like the usual sort of multi. I am thinking that rather than have a container at the intermediate locations, I would have a laminated label or maybe a clear plastic keyfob containing the next coordinates. That way people wouldn't think the logbook had gone missing, add their own replacement then stop at the first stage.

I have not set a cache like this but like the idea. The only problem with this is if one of the caches goes missing making the cache impossible which is frustrating for the cacher. I love the idea of cheating the "Number Hounds". Placing numerous clues also requires permission while taking clues from existing features does not. Another thing to note is that you can have any distance between waypoints 100yards to 100 miles and your waypoints can be next to existing caches which tends to cancel the permission requirement.

... your waypoints can be next to existing caches which tends to cancel the permission requirement.
With respect to other caches, all the waypoints are subject to the same proximity rules as a normal cache - the only thing that is different is that the proximity rules do not apply to other wayoints in the same cache.

Rgds, Andy

I've done quite a few multis like this.

For me, they work best when there is a story or theme. For example Mission Impossible

This example uses both virtual and physical waypoints.

I'm less enthused with Multis which use multiple physical stages without a theme. E.g. Find the first generic container at the base of a tree; gives you the coordinates of the final at the base of another tree.

These do exist - but they aren't very popular. One 9-stage multi near me Another Gap Filled only had 10 finders in almost 2 years. It was replaced by a series of traditional caches over almost the exact same route last August, and that series has already had 30+ finders.

Personally I prefer multis based on actual signs/landmarks/whatever, because those items are often points of interest in the area, and aren't very likely to go missing.

A lot of the best caches I have found have been of this type. Most of The Sparrow Boys caches in the North West of England are set like this and they are some of the best around as they have a tricky first (and sometimes second) stage followed by a traditional hide. I have also placed a few caches where there are physical containers at each waypoint as there are things to do at each stage. This includes a 3 stage multi (two physical stages and one virtual) where all the stages are at the same location and the trick was to make sure a cacher finds them in the order I intended!

I think whether it is a series or a multi with physical stages the main thing is to make it interesting rather than a selection of 35mm film containers 0.1m apart in an unremarkable spot.

There's one not far away!!!

Thanks pendragon, that certainly looks like it's worth a visit and I may even pick up some tips for doing my own cache. I was thinking of a theme to link my waypoints. My younger daughter (sometimes known as Lara Croft) wants us to make a Tombraider cache...

I realise that maintenance could be more of a problem than with a single cache, but I have an area in mind that is close to home. The guidelines let you place physical waypoints of a single cache closer than 0.1miles, so I could make a number of stages and it would still not be too far to walk.

If people like it they will award favourite points and more will come (I hope).

The two best Multis of this type we have ever done have been adopted over to other cachers who have totally ruined them by adding power trails round them 'to encourage more cachers to do the Multi'

I'd rather see a cache archived - no matter how good it was - than receive that sort of treatment!

:mad:

There's one not far away!!! OK so I still have to find the final cache but I had great fun not finding it!!!!!!!!

A High (or Low) Tech multi

Thank Pendragon for pointing out my cache.

I put this one out for a couple reasons - the technology is now readily available, and there's a cracking view from just by the cache! As other people have said, it's relatively high maintenance though, so do take that into account if you decide to do one. This cache is about a mile from where we live when we're in town so I can get there quickly to take care of any issues.

Another thing is its not massively popular. I don't really know why. maybe it's because people are scared by the tech, or maybe they don't want to spend an hour doing one cache. I'm happy though only having a few people looking for it. I certainly enjoyed prepping it all and getting this one placed.

... your waypoints can be next to existing caches which tends to cancel the permission requirement.
With respect to other caches, all the waypoints are subject to the same proximity rules as a normal cache - the only thing that is different is that the proximity rules do not apply to other wayoints in the same cache.

Rgds, Andy

I guess what was meant was that stages of the type question to answer are not subject to the proximity guidelines, only stages of the type "stage of a multicache" are.

Cezanne

I guess what was meant was that stages of the type question to answer are not subject to the proximity guidelines, only stages of the type "stage of a multicache" are.

I thought the post was referring to physical waypoints being close to other caches because you don't need permission for "questions to answer" anyway.

Rgds, Andy

I used to have one - film pot on fence leading to a large tupperware box in a hedge, and I've done several.

One thing I would recommend though is to state on the cache page how far the walk is, and whether it is (more or less) circular, or whether it will leave you with a x mile walk back to the start. I've skipped several multis because there was no indication and I needed to have an idea of how long it's going to take me.

Additional waypoints are a relatively new thing. I have a cache that was set before additional waypoints were implemented. OK... it's not a 'multi-cache', it's a 'mystery' cache but it has 13 physical boxes to find, 3 virtual locations to visit and a few puzzles thrown in for good measure. The fastest it's been completed is just over two days and you'll probably end up driving close to 200 miles. All this and not a single additional waypoint.

In the current caching climate, it's not particularly popular as you'll only end up with one 'smilie face' to show for the effort but it has 20 favourite points and has been chosen as a 'landmark' cache by quite a few caching teams.

Hi,

I have one and it is a night cache too :laughing:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5f983fae-fd88-4a13-b59d-9b387dad92ee

More of these will be placed by me during the year as I like multis and the physical ones appeal to me more than the virtual ones.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

I have come across a few where there is a box and log book at each stage. Some of the logs on these suggest someone found the first stage, signed the log in there and had gone home, occasionally with comments along the lines of we will come back another day and find the next one, not sure if they then log it again:blink:

There's one not far away!!! OK so I still have to find the final cache but I had great fun not finding it!!!!!!!!

A High (or Low) Tech multi

Thank Pendragon for pointing out my cache.

Welcome :) I have to admit that (although I haven't found it) it convinced me to have a go at more multis again. I don't seem to have much luck with them so had started avoiding them. I do do them when in a new place, it's a nice way to get your bearings and find out something about the place, but up here I'd kinda given up. That may sound contradictory given I didn't have much luck with the final of this one either but I really liked the concept and enjoyed the hunts for the stages....

And Mr P - yours is definitely on the list too :) I just keep having driven past before I remember they're there or it's dark!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I think I will try and get the team together for a couple of the caches mentioned near us and see how they work. Then I'll get hobgoblin junior to help me craft a Tombraider story in a suitable area nearby. (She is working on her first novel at the moment, so has lots of creativity to spare :lol: )

We do tend to avoid the multis when out as a family (I even programmed the TomTom to say "Oh no, its a multi" when we drive close to one :rolleyes: ), but looking back at where I have given favourite points, I see that multis and puzzles feature more often than the plain old traditionals.

I've done quite a few multi-physical-stage multis. When done well I think they are my favourite sort of cache, because it's possible to weave a good story around them. You can also employ more interesting 'props' en route: physical stages that are not well suited to log books, but can still give finders the next clue; much more interesting than using the digits of a phone number on a sign or whatever, if your cache is a Tombraider adventure. I know from ownership, however, that the rewards come with a maintenance price, so don't set them unless you are prepared to actively maintain. A couple of DNFs through lack of maintenance will quickly reduce finder interest in what is already a pretty limited audience in today's geocaching population.

I did one in Portugal where the first stage led to a box containing an electricity meter outside a house. Stuck to the inside of the box door was a stick on TB (the type you put on your car).

The idea was that you logged the TB and picked up the coords of the next cache in the series from the TB webpage.

Yes - I've found many and placed several...

One on Wirral stands out above all others....

GC2RPGW - Crazy Chichen Chase :)

Its a 20 stage (19 interim & one final) cache in Arrowe Country park.

Every stage is an excelently crafted hide containing the co-ords of the next

It does what it says on the can - turns you into a Crazy Chicken

as you criss cross the park numerous times

I was one of the FTFers on the Royal wedding day.

I only took 9-10 hours whist some others took 13-14 hours!

Edited by PhilPamAndRob

The two best Multis of this type we have ever done have been adopted over to other cachers who have totally ruined them by adding power trails round them 'to encourage more cachers to do the Multi'

I'd rather see a cache archived - no matter how good it was - than receive that sort of treatment!

:mad:

Agreed !

Ditto

We feel really sorry that people have to "sell out" to attract visitors <_<

Luckily this one My link remains as a multi even though it is pretty high maintenance for the CO. We found it much more satisfying to complete than a trail