whats the most expensive swag item you've seen in a cache before?

Turtle_Sask

Hello fellow cachers! have you ever wondered what the most expensive thing someone has found in a cache was? personally I have found a gold ring in a cache once. I did not take the ring home because I had nothing of equal value but I moved it to another cache nearby because the cache it was in, was not in good shape. Whats the most expensive swag item you've seen or FTF you've ever gotten? ever seen lots of money like (20 < $$$ lots)something ive been wondering since I started geocaching (3 years ago).

let me know!

Would be cool to see what everyone has seen!

Hello fellow cachers! have you ever wondered what the most expensive thing someone has found in a cache was? personally I have found a gold ring in a cache once. I did not take the ring home because I had nothing of equal value but I moved it to another cache nearby because the cache it was in, was not in good shape. Whats the most expensive swag item you've seen or FTF you've ever gotten? ever seen lots of money like (20 < $$$ lots)something ive been wondering since I started geocaching (3 years ago).

let me know!

Would be cool to see what everyone has seen!

In 2003 I traded a $30 chunk of citrine plus quite a bit more stuff, from a cache near Flagstaff, for a bolo tie made from a rare jasper that the source was expended for in the 30's. The dealer I took it to offered me $100 on the spot, but he never told me what it was really worth. I would assume at least 50-100% more. It's a beautiful stone and I won't part with it.

I found a cable for my GPS once.

I've got an old etrex that needs the cable that converts because it doesn't come with USB. You need two pieces. I think the part I found was worth about 30 bucks, I'm not sure. I traded out every piece of nice swag I had on me, because I wasn't carrying anything big. I filled that ammo box up with nice stuff.

I still use and appreciate that cable!!

I put a really nice piece of amythyst crystal in a cache once. It was a nice big cut and polished one. Probably worth 30 bucks or so. I wasn't using it.

I got a book light I needed at the time.

I started sleeping well and didn't need it anymore, so I put it back into another cache.

I found a cable for my GPS once.

I've got an old etrex that needs the cable that converts because it doesn't come with USB. You need two pieces. I think the part I found was worth about 30 bucks, I'm not sure. I traded out every piece of nice swag I had on me, because I wasn't carrying anything big. I filled that ammo box up with nice stuff.

I still use and appreciate that cable!!

There's a local cacher that work somewhere that makes a variety of cables. He often leaves cable splitters or even 25' Ethernet cables in caches.

Someone left a new GPS in one of my caches. It sat there for months because nobody would take it because nobody happened to carry an item of equal value with them. I finally had to beg someone to take it on the cache page.

I don't think that when someone leaves something that expensive he actually expects an equal trade. As long as you up the quality of your trade item a few notches and aren't leaving a marble or expired Sanka coupon, I think that's sufficient.

In my own cache I once left an automotive road temperature gauge/ice alert. It was a gift and I and no use for it. I found it in a catalog for something like $50. I also left a new hydration pack and a new hiking stick that listed for $55.

In 2003 I traded a $30 chunk of citrine plus quite a bit more stuff, from a cache near Flagstaff, for a bolo tie made from a rare jasper that the source was expended for in the 30's. The dealer I took it to offered me $100 on the spot, but he never told me what it was really worth. I would assume at least 50-100% more. It's a beautiful stone and I won't part with it.

I have some stuff for you, then. Tons, actually... I'm too lazy to get busy and work it into good stuff.

I hope that jasper wasn't one that I had sold to a lady from AZ. She did pay dearly for it, but couldn't resist. I also hated to part with it. Due to internal design, there can never be a duplicate.

As for finding... I'm still looking for a Double Eagle. :)

I have some stuff for you, then. Tons, actually... I'm too lazy to get busy and work it into good stuff.

I hope that jasper wasn't one that I had sold to a lady from AZ. She did pay dearly for it, but couldn't resist. I also hated to part with it. Due to internal design, there can never be a duplicate.

As for finding... I'm still looking for a Double Eagle. :)

To be honest im not sure what you guys are talking about, coins?

About eight years ago, I got a free roundtrip ticket to anywhere Southwest Airline flies. I chose California. I did a three week tour from San Diego to Marin County, did a lot of caching, visited a few people, and did the usual tourist things. I "earned" it by FTF-ing a rugged, 6 or 7 mile multi in Jefferson Memorial Forest in Louisville (our nation's largest urban forest). I still thank Eagles61 almost every time I see him.

Peace

happy meal toy.

haven't found many caches and alot of caches where I cache in Pa/Md have junk in them and most of the trackables go missing. Down in OBX it was the same, found tampons, plastic wendy's spoon, feather and seashell(in a cache on the beach). Wish more folks would embrace the spirit of "trading equal or greater" or leaving the cache better than you found it. It is very dissapointing for the younger cachers in your group. I try to leave decent swag and fill my caches with such.

A hand painted stone. Not really a value item but a real treasure to us if we are lucky enough to get one. A husband and wife team leave those in all the local caches. Great little item. We never take or leave anything, but we have taken some stones, and then went to the cachers home and gave them some money to buy more paint.

I've left PS2 games in caches that could support it, some in trade for something, some in penance for the times I've been caught without swag to trade and my daughter took something anyway. We keep a bag of swag to leave in the car now, just in case, so now it's mostly just because the cache can hold it, a thank you for the larger container.

I've left PS2 games in caches that could support it, some in trade for something, some in penance for the times I've been caught without swag to trade and my daughter took something anyway. We keep a bag of swag to leave in the car now, just in case, so now it's mostly just because the cache can hold it, a thank you for the larger container.

Up in a Sault Ste. Marie cache, I found a 12 month XBOX 360 Live Gold Membership, worth about $60 or so I think. Worked out great since we were able to use it...expires in a few months though :(

Up in a Sault Ste. Marie cache, I found a 12 month XBOX 360 Live Gold Membership, worth about $60 or so I think. Worked out great since we were able to use it...expires in a few months though :(

I could use that LOL

The most expensive item I've seen lately are personal signature items. Since they are all local caches, and the cachers are all local, all the personal signature items are all the same in every cache. But I never trade unless I find an old Hot Wheels I don't have. I did get a $5 for a FTF about 4 years ago.

Found a few items that were more expensive than most. $20 has been the most cash that we've found in our travels. Have spotted a variety of flashlights, CDs, DVDs, and other items in caches as well.

We did place a cache a while back that contained these items. Below is a copy and paste from the cache page:

Initial contents are housed in a larger than average container and include:

New CD case

Car window American Flag

Motorola FRS radios

Garmin 40 GPSr

New Mapsource Metroguide 4.02 software

New handheld 12 volt plug in spotlight

New keychain LED light

Three coleman ultrasonic mosquito repellors

and other miscellaneous items!

It wasn't a really expensive item monetarily-wise, but I found a double-ended magnetic screwdriver that caps closed; it's about an inch thick and tough as nails, with several bits stored in it. This was a new cache in AZ, and the item was listed as one of the swag placed inside at initial hide; I've been using the thing like crazy ever since, so it's a treasure. I've even etched my name on it! A good tool's worth its weight in gold. B)

Somebody had folded up a soft HP computer carrying case and stashed it in an ammo box, which I found years ago. Really liked it, but didn't have anything suitable to trade so left it for the next cacher. I went back months later, prepared, but it was already traded out. No idea what someone traded in for it.