DECLINED - [FEATURE] Notice of scheduled updates

Zop

I brought this up a while back on the old forum and it was misunderstood.

Today I noticed the banner: "Geocaching.com will be going offline temporarily for a site update on Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 at approximately 11am PDT"

But looking on the Forum's release notes page here in the forums (where I was directed in the past) there is nothing at all about this upcoming interruption and scheduled update.

In the future, would it be possible to please post a note in the release notes area of the forum advising us all of what updates/bug fixes/additions etc... are scheduled?

There must be some sort of checklist your developers are using for the updates. Why not make it public to give us some advanced indication of what to look for after the updates? It would help many of us to know what may be changing and why rather than just have us all freak out when/if something is different or broken.

Thanks..

I have posted release notes in advance before, and the result has been:

• Despite adding a notice that you are viewing a preview, people still fill the thread with, "What changed? I don't see anything different!" comments
  • People inevitably draw incorrect conclusions when reading release notes and get worked up without actually seeing the changes firsthand

Edit: Also what Moun10Bike said

Maybe a post in the forum can be done when also the banner appears. Just in advance to get noticed of a upcomming change. The release notes can than later be added to the thread so we can get notified of the downtime in advance.

I use most of the time a api to connect to the site. so that the banner will not always been seen before the downtime. But i have the forum topic in the watch list so i can get a e-mail in advance that there is comming some down time.

Also nice to know in advance is what work is being done on the site, is it a site update or some server patches.