Geocaching & Parkour - Great Combination

Dont know what parkour is? It's the art of transportation using only the human body. The objective is simple, get from point A to point B, as quickly and efficiently as possible using only the human body.

Example:

If you are physically fit to the minimum requirement (no offense of course) you should very much, look into this. Parkour running from cache to cache is extremely, fun, efficient, money-saving, and even a good way to stay in shape :)

Dont know what parkour is? It's the art of transportation using only the human body. The objective is simple, get from point A to point B, as quickly and efficiently as possible using only the human body.

Example:

If you are physically fit to the minimum requirement (no offense of course) you should very much, look into this. Parkour running from cache to cache is extremely, fun, efficient, money-saving, and even a good way to stay in shape :)

Don't know what getting old is? It is the art of learning to slow down and take care of what is left of your body. :lol: Good parkour is great fun to watch, and I have high admiration for those that have mastered it. I have, however seen parkour videos that are so bad that they were embarrassing to watch.

As a coworker of mine once observed, you reach an age when it's not a good idea to get your a** higher than your head...:)

Besides, how you gonna read a GPS while doing all these urban gymnastics?

That's what I was wondering. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. I have a hard enough time reading my gps while walking, without falling flat on my face (which I have done :rolleyes: ). :laughing:

The number of times I have tripped and ended up flat on my back - don't ask, it's a skill I perfected to protect my working arm - to the amusement of others confirm that it wouldn't be a good idea for me to try!

However, I have seen videos of excellent athletes performing parkour, and I am impressed. Even back when I was young(er) I don't think I could have done very well.

Whatever floats your boat - go for it. Stay safe, please!

I can see it being an extremely useful FTF tool. I think all wannabe FTF hounds should practice parkour.

Which is the point of practice. Not saying everyone should do it, just saying its a really fun sport to look into and goes VERY well with city/urban caching, when there are many caches nearby one another.

And the fails... well theyre just fun to watch :)

Example:

I question the bolded part above. Climbing on a vending machine and then doing a backflip down to where you started is hardly efficient - athletic yes, efficient, no. Efficiently moveing from point A to B using only the human body is the definition of walking.

But it is interesting to watch.

Efficiently moving from point A to B using only the human body is the definition of walking.

But it is interesting to watch.

I was originally going to go there...

Actually (after viewing the video) it rather reminds me of the story of the old bull and the young bull:

The old bull and the young bull were standing at the top of the hill overlooking a paddock of many gorgeous young heifers.

The young bull said "Let's charge down the hill, knock over that fence and service one of those heifers each".

The old bull replied "Why don't we saunter down the hill, open the gate, take a sip at the water trough and then service ALL of those heifers??

Whatever rocks your boat. More power to you. Of course having a sharp pencil or pen in your pocket might not be a good idea if you fall and impale yourself.

ug0ed472-b49.gif

I've always wondered how your insurance handles the 'incidents'? Do they dump you when they find out what your hobby is?

Edited by A & J Tooling

Clearly, this is the most efficient way from cache to cache.

There simply is no argument to be had.

I'm always up for a good challenge.

Wouldn't this depend on many factors? If the distance between caches is many miles, then I can imagine situations where driving might be more efficient than parkour. If there aren't many buildings between the caches, then I can imagine situations where a bicycle might be more efficient. If a cache is located at the top of a very tall building, then I can imagine situations where taking an elevator might be more efficient.

Edited by CanadianRockies

There simply is no argument to be had.

Considering that the videos that we get to see are highly edited, I have to ask... how long can these people really keep this up? Remember, our caches are a MINIMUM of 528 feet apart, even in an urban environment. How many caches do you really think they would be able to reach using parkour?

Reminds me a lot of this scene from Indiana Jones:

raiders-sword_l.jpg

You wanna parkour to that next cache? Fine. I'll meet you there in my car.

If it involves trying to get there over private property, then no, it's not the best way to travel if you're geocaching.

Get there however you want, but please don't try to tie in this wreckless, foolhardy hobby with geocaching. It's one of those "Black Eye" issues, and geocaching doesn't need any more black eyes.

Have you not been reading the thread about cacher safety?

Edited by Planet

There simply is no argument to be heard.

Fixed it for you.

Claiming that extra acrobatic moves (i.e.. running up a wall to back flip) vs. walking past the same spot is "the most efficient way" is ridiculous. To claim there's no argument is denial.

There simply is no argument to be heard.

Fixed it for you.

Claiming that extra acrobatic moves (i.e.. running up a wall to back flip) vs. walking past the same spot is "the most efficient way" is ridiculous. To claim there's no argument is denial.

I assume Coldgears was being sarcastic there. Hopefully I'm not wrong.

As for being efficient, nothing beats armchair logging.

Let's clear this up. I was saying it's a fun efficient way to do it, not the BEST way, and to answer the distance question; stamina is the answer.

Now for the backflip off a vending machine, that is not deadlocked parkour. That is adding a little swag (daredevilness) too it. Parkour is not made specifically for getting from point a to b. The primary based-off-of objective was THAT. Just like everything else, people re-interpret and edit it a little. Without personalization the world would be gray.

Example:

Perhaps we need a new attribute: anti-stealth required? :laughing:

If it involves trying to get there over private property, then no, it's not the best way to travel if you're geocaching.

Get there however you want, but please don't try to tie in this wreckless, foolhardy hobby with geocaching. It's one of those "Black Eye" issues, and geocaching doesn't need any more black eyes.

private property bla...

Unbelievable <_<

private property bla...

Unbelievable <_<

And just what is so unbelievable about respecting private property?

(edited to fix format)

Edited by Planet

private property bla...

Unbelievable <_<

And just what is so unbelievable about respecting private property?

(edited to fix format)

I find it unbelievable that, whatever the theme of a thread, sooner or later someone turns up going

"nagnagnag...private property...nagnag...trespassin...nagnag...bad reputation for cachers, don't do it don't do it DON'T DO IT!!!!"

I do see where that comes from.

If I'd be likely to get shot if trespassing, I'd be paranoid too...

I just think it's sad that there are people who have such a stick up their :blink: that they ruin everyone elses fun...

It's the equivalent of the old lady sitting at the window all day writing down people parking in the wrong spot just cause she has nothing better to do :huh:

Edited by Otis.Gore

Yes, I do...because of the frquency with wich it comes up.

Reminding people now and then is OK and should be done, but bringing it up every single time, no matter how out of place, is annoying, and thats why I call it nagging.

Just like, every time someone wirtes about a cache and uses the word "ground", ten people will start nagging

"oooohh...hopefully for you, you didn't use a points tool!" (no, my shovel was dull :laughing: )

I think everyone has heard about "The guidelines" by now, so if there is a need to let new cachers know, post it in the "getting started" section...

Yes, I do...because of the frquency with wich it comes up.

Reminding people now and then is OK and should be done, but bringing it up every single time, no matter how out of place, is annoying, and thats why I call it nagging.

Just like, every time someone wirtes about a cache and uses the word "ground", ten people will start nagging

"oooohh...hopefully for you, you didn't use a points tool!" (no, my shovel was dull :laughing: )

I think everyone has heard about "The guidelines" by now, so if there is a need to let new cachers know, post it in the "getting started" section...

As long as there are people that continue to ignore private property issues, people will continue to need to be reminded.

Ain't that kind of pointless?

So if you tell someone, and he chooses to ignore it, just tell him again, and he will suddenly

do what he's told?

The people who know it and care about it will stick to "the guidelines", the ones who don't...well they just don't.

Repeadetly telling them to comply will not change their minds.

Except from that, as I said, it's not the problem of reminding people, the problem is that

I can't read a single thread without something like this in it...it's just annoying.

Ain't that kind of pointless?

So if you tell someone, and he chooses to ignore it, just tell him again, and he will suddenly

do what he's told?

The people who know it and care about it will stick to "the guidelines", the ones who don't...well they just don't.

Repeadetly telling them to comply will not change their minds.

Except from that, as I said, it's not the problem of reminding people, the problem is that

I can't read a single thread without something like this in it...it's just annoying.

Maybe so, but this is a thread about trying to introduce something new into geocaching that doesn't sound like it fits with this hobby, that doesn't look safe, that looks like it involves trespassing and HUGE insurance liability issues, and that's the most perfect time to remind them.

If you would rather I gave my real opinion of parkour, I would, but you'd probably just call it nagging, because it isn't the same opinion as yours.

It doesn't belong in geocaching, it's not even closely related.

I find it unbelievable that, whatever the theme of a thread, sooner or later someone turns up going

"nagnagnag...private property...nagnag...trespassin...nagnag...bad reputation for cachers, don't do it don't do it DON'T DO IT!!!!"

I do see where that comes from.

If I'd be likely to get shot if trespassing, I'd be paranoid too...

I just think it's sad that there are people who have such a stick up their :blink: that they ruin everyone elses fun...

It's the equivalent of the old lady sitting at the window all day writing down people parking in the wrong spot just cause she has nothing better to do :huh:

With an attitude like that, I really wish you would quit geocaching and take up some other sport. We don't need your kind around here.

Private property doesn't even have anything to do with this. I'm not saying parkour fits with geocaching because it doesn't, but it's a stretch to doing it gives geocaching a black eye. There are plenty of public routes to take and if someone parkours on private property and happens to be traveling between caches, how does that automatically give geocaching a black eye? Someone needs to observe the parkouring geocacher, disapprove of what they're doing, figure out they are geocaching, and come to the conclusion that all geocachers parkour across private property to travel between caches. It's a bit like saying "It's illegal to have windows tinted past 35 in this state, so people shouldn't drive vehicles with windows tinted past 35 between caches because it gives geocaching a black eye." How would anyone make the connection?

I don't do parkour myself, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I like skateboarding a lot more.

When someone does a backflip off the wall, and lands on his head instead, and knocks himself out cold, or dies on private property, and and then someone else comes and starts a 15 page thread on what has to change to keep cachers safe, that's when it gets a black eye.

When someone does a backflip off the wall, and lands on his head instead, and knocks himself out cold, or dies on private property, and and then someone else comes and starts a 15 page thread on what has to change to keep cachers safe, that's when it gets a black eye.

Sounds like routine forums activity to me.

We can't keep everyone safe. How are you going to go around making sure all cachers are travelling between caches in a safe way? Because if they get hurt between caches, it'll give geocaching a black eye.:rolleyes: