Jeremy!

Centaur

Just checked over the recient changes (printer friendly page makeover, static page generation, etc). Thanks for all the hard work you spend in coding this stuff. It all looks good to me. I was wondering how much CPU this thing was using everytime it had to generate a page. I can understand why you wanted it to go to a more static format! icon_smile.gif

Hide it, and they will seek it...

Program it, and they will use it. icon_smile.gif

-Centaur

[This message was edited by Centaur on September 15, 2002 at 05:33 PM.]

I just took a look at the changes myself. They look great. I am curious though. The map that is generated on the print page. Does it even need to be there? It doesn't seem to add anything helpful. Is it even better server/load wise just to have it not added to the print friendly page?

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

I have found that copying and pasting the info i want from a cache page to a txt file. Then printing it is much easier on my printer cartridge and if I really need the map to find the cache. I can print it for a second atempt.

I doubt the new print friendly page will suit my needs but if it does that would be great copy and pasting can take a while. If the new changes spped the page loading anything near considerably I think the sacrifices are acceptable, though there will be thigns I miss as well.

Eeyore

quote:
Originally posted by Harrald:

The map that is generated on the print page. Does it even need to be there? It doesn't seem to add anything helpful.

I like the new layout and I like having the map there, except that the zoom level needs to be more zoomed in to be useful. I tried a printout and other than the map being zoomed too far, it looks great.

I also like the link to jeeep.com which in turn has a link to topozone.com

Jeremy, a minor request please: Anyplace you display a time, for instance, at the bottom of the pages now like:

Last Generated: 9/15/2002 7:53:22 PM

Could you add the timezone? PT (or if you have a call to a time formatting routine, the correct PST or PDT)

Most of us can figure out you are in the Pacific Timezone, but there are others around the world that might appreciate the info.

Thanks!

-Centaur

Please don't remove MAP!!!...

I find it very helpful in planning a days "route" if its more than a one cache day..

One more thing that could go away is big splash logo

Like this one found at botton of some screens.

Raygun_CCGC.gif

Takes a good bit of ink too......

Dale_Lynn

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

--------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Dale_Lynn:

Please don't remove MAP!!!...

I find it very helpful in planning a days "route" if its more than a one cache day..

One more thing that could go away is big splash logo

Like this one found at botton of some screens.

Takes a good bit of ink too......

Dale_Lynn

Unfortunately folks can do this with their own HTML. I would suggest asking the organization to have a logo with a healthier size (like the "Let's Go Geocaching" mini-logo" - You can also have your printer set up to print b/w to save on ink.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Those maps are about the only ones I can get out of the site anymore! They do give a great 'ball park' view of where the cache is located - please leave them in.

It doesn't seem that the recent spate of changes helped the state cache maps (not that I expected it) but I hope we'll see an improvement on that front someday (whoops - off topic - sorry).