SD & SDHC Micro Cards

I would like to know if a 4GB SDHC Micro card would work in my Garmin 60csx GPS

I am currently using an 8GB micro SDHC in my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx without any problems so I imagine a 4GB version would also work fine. For my 5 yr old unit the latest firmware version is 4.0. Newer 60CSx units are compatible with the 4.20 version of firmware.

I am currently using an 8GB micro SDHC in my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx without any problems so I imagine a 4GB version would also work fine. For my 5 yr old unit the latest firmware version is 4.0. Newer 60CSx units are compatible with the 4.20 version of firmware.

Thank you all....I have an older model also & it has 4.0 right now so I guess I am up to date....Again Thanks for all your responses

I thought the biggest card that Garmin GPSrs would address was 4GB. Are you sure the unit isn't only seeing the first half of the card?

I thought the biggest card that Garmin GPSrs would address was 4GB. Are you sure the unit isn't only seeing the first half of the card?

4GB is the maximum size for vector maps. The balance can be used for Birdseye or KMZ raster maps. Of course if you are using 8GB in a 60CSX, only 4GB will work at one time.

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={9dec4ad0-954a-11dd-f60b-000000000000} spells it out.

Edited by seldom_sn

4GB is the maximum size for vector maps. The balance can be used for Birdseye or KMZ raster maps. Of course if you are using 8GB in a 60CSX, only 4GB will work at one time.

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={9dec4ad0-954a-11dd-f60b-000000000000} spells it out.

And to be clear this only applies to "Garmin Mode" devices. All newer handhelds since the Colorado do not have limits on card or map sizes beyond the 4 GB per file set by the FAT32 file system.

Currently on my 8GB microSD:

A gmapsupp with 1527 segments, 2.97GB, 20+ different mapsets

POI file with 145k points of interest, 15MB

~3GB of other stuff that I wouldn't expect the 60CSx to read

2GB free

I haven't ever run into a case where the map I wanted to use wasn't available on the 60CSx. Perhaps as long as the gmapsupp.img file is less than 4GB there isn't an issue. I have tried to put more than 2025 tiles onto a card and had issues. I can't recall if MapSource complained or maps didn't display properly. Similarly, I have selected more than 4GB of maps and MapSource complained. I have also had MapSource crash after selecting a large number of maps.

...Perhaps as long as the gmapsupp.img file is less than 4GB there isn't an issue....

It is impossible for it to be larger than 4 GB....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table#FAT32

The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GB minus 1 byte or 4,294,967,295 (232−1) bytes.