Introducing a Social Network For Geocachers.

To The Moon

Now, before I get in trouble. I was once told by a moderator to ask permission before posting a link to a site I own. But I don't know how to send a PM to a mod so if you know please tell me.

Plus we have had a long discussion about this on another thread.

You can see it at the adress below. It is not meant to replace this board. It is to offer the geocaching community a place other than facebook. I built It because I think geocaching is a geat family activity and it would be fun.

You can log in anonymously, creat galleries, live chat within groups etc.

www.geocachercommunity.com

You have comments or suggestions email me back at the email address on the website.

Thanks

Moon

Now, before I get in trouble. I was once told by a moderator to ask permission before posting a link to a site I own. But I don't know how to send a PM to a mod so if you know please tell me.

Moon

If you look at the bottom of any of these Groundspeak forums you'll see a list of members reading the forum and underneath that you'll see Forum led by... Those names are the Moderators for that forum.

You can easily call a Mod's attention to something by clicking the Report button (bottom left corner of any post) - a pop-up box will appear and you can enter details of what's required.

If you want to contact a specific Mod you can do so in the same way you can contact any forum member - Look at any forum post by that person and click the 'open envelope' icon just under their avatar.

MrsB :)

You can see it at the adress below. It is not meant to replace this board. It is to offer the geocaching community a place other than facebook. I built It because I think geocaching is a geat family activity and it would be fun.

You have comments or suggestions email me back at the email address on the website.

Thanks

Moon

WHY are you posting this again when there has already been a long discussion in another thread?

No offense to your site, but its very cluttery in my browser, the margins appear broken and some of the page is outside of the "lines." I'm using Chrome on a Mac, don't know if its better/worse on anything else and won't be trying. Personally, I don't see a need for an additional site, but more power to you and those who'd like to use it, I'm all for DIY.

I guess the question really is, "what Social networking features does GC.com lack?" Lets see, GC.com has friend lists, a chat room, a forums section for dialog, and stats for my caching adventures directly viewable within site. I have the ability to post images either directly to my profile, directly to a cache, or directly to any trackable's page. I can contact members and non-members indirectly via a form on GC.com or directly via their IM/email address if they choose to share it. I can subscribe to forum threads and "watch" trackables or caches and get emails if they are updated/changed/published. If I set my email address to my phone's email, I could get instantaneous feedback if things I want to monitor change.

It seems to me the only features missing are instant messaging and the ability to see if your "friends" are online or not.

I would like to see my friends logging activity a little easier on gc.com. Plus I would like the ability to tag pictures and ESPECIALLY the ability to NOT include some pictures I upload on my profile (particularly TB pics).

I don't know the specifics of the gc.com API, but if you could set up a site where I can follow my friends logging activity that would be cool. Otherwise I don't really see the need for a social network since we have the gc.com forums, and most clubs have their own regional forum or facebook page.

No offense to your site, but its very cluttery in my browser, the margins appear broken and some of the page is outside of the "lines." I'm using Chrome on a Mac, don't know if its better/worse on anything else and won't be trying. Personally, I don't see a need for an additional site, but more power to you and those who'd like to use it, I'm all for DIY.

I guess the question really is, "what Social networking features does GC.com lack?" Lets see, GC.com has friend lists, a chat room, a forums section for dialog, and stats for my caching adventures directly viewable within site. I have the ability to post images either directly to my profile, directly to a cache, or directly to any trackable's page. I can contact members and non-members indirectly via a form on GC.com or directly via their IM/email address if they choose to share it. I can subscribe to forum threads and "watch" trackables or caches and get emails if they are updated/changed/published. If I set my email address to my phone's email, I could get instantaneous feedback if things I want to monitor change.

It seems to me the only features missing are instant messaging and the ability to see if your "friends" are online or not.

Thanks for that, I had some trouble with the layout and didn't realize it until I read your post. In any event I have fixed it. It looks waaaaay better now.

Thanks again!

Thanks

Moon

Well.... That didn't last long. :rolleyes:

I remember when this thread was fresh, but I had no interest in facebook or anything presented as a facebook social alternative. Interesting timing for this newest post right on the heels of the facebook login discussions. Snoogans, were you actually using this, or just keeping track of it with an eye to announce it's obituary?

I remember when this thread was fresh, but I had no interest in facebook or anything presented as a facebook social alternative. Interesting timing for this newest post right on the heels of the facebook login discussions. Snoogans, were you actually using this, or just keeping track of it with an eye to announce it's obituary?

I was the very first user to sign up. I posted some stuff on geocaching safety and waited to see if anything would take off.

Last time I looked it was nearing 30 users.

And now it no longer exists.

I know what you're thinking. It's prophecy coming true.... I killed it like I killed terracaching.com, and navicaching, and moving cache.com, and Buxleys Waypoint, and that other opencaching website.... But I'm innocent. Innocent I tells ya.

I was the very first user to sign up. I posted some stuff on geocaching safety and waited to see if anything would take off.

Last time I looked it was nearing 30 users.

You killed it!! :mad:

Well it's been down more than a few days ( forget the actual date I last logged on to it). However everything I see says that it is 'under development'. Perhaps he is trying to get it to work comfortably. It was a bit odd to try and even read it until one explored a bit and fiddled a lot. My biggest 'irk' was that of never seeing any more comments from the moderator... not that much I said was worth commenting on as it progressed. I wish I had kept copies of a bit of it though. Seems to me the Texas one sort of stalled a bit as well (the topic, that is) but it was there. I just keep plugging around getting the S word out where I can.

I'm going to guess that OP is a student and tied up a lot with school year end as well, being that it is May. Summer may or may not help out.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc