Not able to submit recovery

AZcachemeister

It keeps telling me 'INPUT ERROR - Format PID PID must be 2 Upper Letters followed by 4 digits'

I do believe DK4651 complies with that requirement, yes?

I'm not quite ready to jump in with DSWorld, but is that the only option these days? Doesn't seem likely considering the possibility of somebody wanting to make a one-off report.

Really irritating. :mad:

It keeps telling me 'INPUT ERROR - Format PID PID must be 2 Upper Letters followed by 4 digits'

I do believe DK4651 complies with that requirement, yes?

I'm not quite ready to jump in with DSWorld, but is that the only option these days? Doesn't seem likely considering the possibility of somebody wanting to make a one-off report.

Really irritating. :mad:

Ditto for a quick test on CG1130 - hand entered, I usually copy/paste from my personal Excel file. (C/P didn't work for DW0625 - which I just C/P'd here)

Was planning to shade up in a motel and submit 50 or more one day this week. Not too interested in learning a new format. kayakbid

I opened up DSWorld and input DK4651 and it immediately filled in the fields for station WOODY.

Dave, I think his complaint is with the NGS recovery report page, not DSWorld.

I've also experienced a recent malfunction using the NGS recovery form. On Jan. 7, I entered my information, hit the SUBMIT button, and got an error message: "Program message: Could not open Sybase connection to NGS Server NGSBASE. Exiting from the program."

I emailed Deb about this but didn't get a reply.

-ArtMan-

(Edited to remove a redundant sentence.)

Edited by ArtMan

Thank you for the correction - yes, it see that it gives an error notice. I will check into this when I'm in the office tomorrow.

Thanks, Dave.

I'm planning to migrate towards DSWorld, and this might be just the reason to do so...at an accelerated pace. ;)

Can I hijack my own thread? :unsure:

One of the things that has me baffled about the program is the apparent non-existence of 'GEOCAC' as a possible recovery agency.

Thank you for the correction - yes, it see that it gives an error notice. I will check into this when I'm in the office tomorrow.

Thanks, Dave.

I'm planning to migrate towards DSWorld, and this might be just the reason to do so...at an accelerated pace. ;)

Can I hijack my own thread? :unsure:

One of the things that has me baffled about the program is the apparent non-existence of 'GEOCAC' as a possible recovery agency.

AZ, it is there. At first, I had to do a little searching to find it too. Using the recovery form for the latest version of DSWorld 2.10.19 I have installed:

After you first enter in the PID number for the mark, and hit enter....a lot of the boxes will fill in themselves. You can then add/edit the rest of the information as needed.

1. Under the Recovery Information------in the Rec Agency drop-down box, select the letter L (Miscellaneous Commercial or Private Firms)

2. Once L is selected, in the next drop-down box to the right (Recovering Agency), scroll down and select GEOCAC (Geocaching. The program wil remember this, and future recovery reports will have the GEOCAC box already filled in for you.

Here is an example:

237039b4-d4a8-4fdc-8243-7d7af918d905.jpg

You can actually roll your mouse over each blank box (the white area) in the recovery form, and will get a pop-up telling you what goes there. Ex: The C.O.P. box is for the initials of the person responsible for recovering the mark. You will also notice from the above screenshot, just how much more information can be submitted with each recovery report now......like the relation of the disk to the surface (flush, recessed, projecting).....the code of the agency stamped on the mark......the ability to update the coordinates or county/state...etc. You'll click the TEXT button at the bottom to open up a secondary window to submit your actual recovery text/report. Make sure to do this BEFORE you hit the submit button.

As DSWorld is kinda a little intimidating, I suggest that for those of us just starting out with DSWorld, to spend some time using the help files of the program. Malcolm has some excellent information (along with screenshots)of how to utilize the program. Reading (viewing screenshots) the help file about submitting recovery reports is a good thing, especially on how to submit the recovery text. I think once you get the hang of it, everyone will really like it.

One of the things I really like about DSWorld, is it's google earth interface. I like to view the recent HH loads, and the program opens up google earth and shows you the locations. Now, I really like that when you click on each location, the program will not only let you view the NGS datasheet...but also has the geocaching page link for the mark too (if available). I guess this is for everyone to be able to access both websites/databases for information on the marks.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.

Edited by LSUFan

1. Under the Recovery Information------in the Rec Agency drop-down box, select the letter L (Miscellaneous Commercial or Private Firms)

2. Once L is selected, in the next drop-down box to the right (Recovering Agency), scroll down and select GEOCAC (Geocaching)

AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

I swear I scrolled through every list under every category in there, but somehow didn't see it.

Perhaps my concentration was waning by the time I got to 'L'. :lol:

Thanks for narrowing-down the search.

Now I can proceed to send in my recoveries for the weekend...and upload my first photos to the NGS!

I think that I just recovered BROWN in Pima Co AZ for 20120112; but my fat fingers are wondering if they want to punch in 20120115 thirty times - and some of the other items such as condition. Can these be set to auto-fill? GPS required a single key stroke on the old form.

Also, is is possible to over-ride setting codes? That would be worth the effort to correct a bunch of my MORC recoveries. MEL

I think that I just recovered BROWN in Pima Co AZ for 20120112; but my fat fingers are wondering if they want to punch in 20120115 thirty times - and some of the other items such as condition. Can these be set to auto-fill? GPS required a single key stroke on the old form.

Also, is is possible to over-ride setting codes? That would be worth the effort to correct a bunch of my MORC recoveries. MEL

Mike, I'm not at my computer now that has DSWorld installed on it. I can't remember if the date is auto-filled from your last report or not. I do remember your name, initials, and GEOCAC being auto-saved. As far as the condition of the mark, it's just a mouseclick for it...unless you are on a notebook/netbook/smartphone.

Yes, you can edit the setting codes (Maybe DaveD has more to say on that), and the program will actually ask you if you know the placement agency (like CGS)stamped on the marker if they are blank when submitting the report. In the screenshot I used above, I actually filled in the logo part for the CGS.......and the part about the disk projecting 3.5 inches above the ground. You are able to edit each white field shown on the screenshot above.

Edited by LSUFan

...my fat fingers are wondering if they want to punch in 20120115 thirty times

I just discovered that double-clicking the date box enters the current date. If you are not too far behind it wouldn't be too difficult to edit the last digit (or two) of the date string.

Most of the other details are retained from the last entered values (or are populated from the database).

Is there a DSWorld user forum somewhere?

I have some suggestions for MAGOR improvements...like batch-uploading an entire folder of photos for starters.

I have some suggestions for MAGOR improvements...like batch-uploading an entire folder of photos for starters.

I believe you can already do this, AZ.

1. Click on the submit button at the top of DSWorld

2. Now Click on the "Digital Photo(s) of Mark(s)

3. Navigate to the folder where you have the digital photos stored (and properly named according to NGS specs) using the drive and directories boxes on the lefthand side of the screen.

4. Now when you see the jpg photo names in the righthand box, (To select multiple photos)

A: click the "select all" button near the bottom of the screen to highlight all of them to send

or

B: Hold down your "Ctrl" button on your keyboard, and using your mouse, click on each jpg photo name you want to submit to highlight it. Once you have highlighted all the file names you want to submit, you let go of the Ctrl key.

Click OK

Here is a screen shot, using method B of holding down the Ctrl Key and using your mouse to select the photos in a file you want to submit. You want to make sure the photos have been named according to the NGS guidelines.

fa8723d1-3fa3-43d7-b258-87b3f4e590c4.jpg?

Edited by LSUFan

Need to find a place to buy some leather after getting chewed up looking for NONPID USGS K 54 1934

AZ for SOPORI

I don't know if you're still looking or already found the leather, but there are two Tandy Leather stores in Tucson, one near Park Place Mall on Broadway, other on Palo Verde.

I'm sure you're well aware of the dangers, but please be a little extra careful down here in So AZ, there is a lot of illegal activity going on out there.

Edited by dixiedawn

I believe you can already do this, AZ.

1. Click on the submit button at the top of DSWorld

2. Now Click on the "Digital Photo(s) of Mark(s)

3. Navigate to the folder where you have the digital photos stored (and properly named according to NGS specs) using the drive and directories boxes on the lefthand side of the screen.

4. Now when you see the jpg photo names in the righthand box, (To select multiple photos)

A: click the "select all" button near the bottom of the screen to highlight all of them to send

or

B: Hold down your "Ctrl" button on your keyboard, and using your mouse, click on each jpg photo name you want to submit to highlight it. Once you have highlighted all the file names you want to submit, you let go of the Ctrl key.

Click OK

Here is a screen shot, using method B of holding down the Ctrl Key and using your mouse to select the photos in a file you want to submit. You want to make sure the photos have been named according to the NGS guidelines.

fa8723d1-3fa3-43d7-b258-87b3f4e590c4.jpg?

My screenshot does not look like yours.

CTRL-click does not add to the list (I am well aware of this function, and expected it to work)

I think I may need to delete and re-install, since the update function doesn't work either.

My screenshot does not look like yours.

CTRL-click does not add to the list (I am well aware of this function, and expected it to work)

I think I may need to delete and re-install, since the update function doesn't work either.

That could be it. The version I am posting screenshots from is DSWorld 2.10.19

I do recall using an older version of DSWorld that didn't let me select multiple photos. This is probably the version you have.

Here is Malcolm's list of changes just from version 2.10 to 2.10 +

What's New

Version 2.10+

Stations>All NGS IDB>By PIDs selection added.

FTP tool added.

File output directory change added.

Get>List of Photos by PIDs added.

Calibration baseline (CBL) data viewer added.

Ability to send multiple photos added.

Additional photo name checking added.

HH position submittal form changed.

A new photo problem reporting procedure has been added.

Photo editing and submitting procedures modified to allow 1024 x 768 photos.

The ability to view NAVD88 vertical control was added to the control type selection menu.

The projects menu item was moved under Stations.

CORS plotting options added

Observed gravity information link restored

New photo editing tools added.

Disk type editing added to photo edit tool.

Disk logo editing added to photo edit tool.

New data transmission logging added.

Disk stamping editing added to photo edit tool.

View datasheets by PIDs menu item added.

One can now change the registry timeout setting.

I am also going to add this part, in case anyone may be having problems getting a timeout error.

12/17/11 - Timeout problem

Microsoft's internet explorer (which DSWorld's WinInet.dll uses) has a timeout setting of 30 seconds by default and was overriding DSWorld's timeout setting. The 'Stations by project ID' retrieval and other processes can take up to a minute or more.

To fix:

1) Start DSWorld.

2) Click 'Tools>Options>Change Timeout Time' from the main menu.

You will be prompted to change the registry entry for the timeout. Select a time in seconds up to 120 seconds.

Note: This setting becomes the new global timeout which applies to both Internet Explorer and any WinINet application. The setting only applies to the current user. Other users on the same computer will have to changethe setting for them.

3) Re-start the computer for the new setting to take effect.

Edited by LSUFan

I tried to get an update, but it failed (several times).

Click on update.

Indicates connecting, then connected.

Downloading file, file downloaded, disconnecting.

Then a dialog box 'Access denied'. :(

AZ, do you know which version of DSWorld you currently have?

If it is below version 2.10, you can download 2.10 here: then run update after installing it.

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/PC_PROD/PARTNERS/index.shtml

This is taken from the help file, if you want to contact Malcolm directly:

Other Problems and Suggestions for Enhancement

Should you encounter problems with the program you are encouraged to email the author marchershee@gmail.com with details of the problem, the operating system the program is running on, and any other information that would be helpful to resolve the problem. Suggestions for enhancements are always welcome.

Hopefully, it can all get straightened out.

HAPPY DAYS!!

Just used the old reliable form to submit my ten from 17 Jan 2012 - all of which required an addition or correction (four of which were NOT FOUND in 2001 by you know who!) Hope that this holds until I can take a break and catcup back to mid-December.

kayakbird

PS dixiedawn: protective leather clothing is what I need - maybe a Harley outfit.

AZ, do you know which version of DSWorld you currently have?

It's 2.10.00.

Just tried again with my anti-spyward and windows firewall turned off...still no go.

Actually the message it 'Permission Denied' not 'Access Denied'.

Usually the first diagnostic is 'Delete the program, and re-install it.', so I'll try that first.

Usually the first diagnostic is 'Delete the program, and re-install it.', so I'll try that first.

The 'delete and re-install' didn't help, but right-clicking on the icon and selecting 'Run as Administrator' made a big difference. :D

Still wondering if I should send in a .gpx of all the marks I have HH-2 co-ordinates for...considering the precision issue I mentioned. I suppose I could just send it and let the chips fall, but I really don't want to waste someones time by sending something that would be considered useless.

Recovered another NOT FOUND and trying to post the find. NGS form not working and DSWorld is giving me connection errors.

As of yesterday, the NOAA building 3 was closed off due to 'fire marshal'. I assume that it's closed today as well (haven't heard otherwise). Yes, this means that Dave Doyle, and George Leigh, and Deb are taking a long weekend. :)

(I heard speculation that it was a power issue, which if it was would explain why the cgi scripts aren't working.. However, this is ALL conjecture. Dave or George would need to fill us in with more *facts*. :) )

Being a rather cranky, curmudgeonly dolphin, slightly older than one of the 2oldfarts... I have not searched for, nor logged any benchmarks since last September. The major reason being that I've found or cannot find most of the ones in my normal travel areas. Was about 25 miles off geocaching, and looked for a benchmark last logged with a find in 1942. DNF by my two favorite incompetants: You know who and NJGS. Following the Go Tos, it was easy to find the Witness Post. And with a bit of searching, we found the disk. Obviously been found (though not logged) in the last 20 years. Still white paint on a tree...

So, being curmudgeonly, do I need to use this new, complicated program: DSWorld? Or can I use the program that I am used to to using?

KV1598

So, being curmudgeonly, do I need to use this new, complicated program: DSWorld? Or can I use the program that I am used to to using?

KV1598

Harry,

The tried and true, if somewhat tedious, mark recovery form just now worked fine for DOOLEY in Sheridan Co Montana - hope it keeps going because I will be about a century behind when I get home from the current road trip.

I do like DSWorld for instant submission of county, state or far out Lat/Long clerical errors; and getting an entire county pinned on GE almost instantly is absolutely glorious.

MEL