What GPS models are geocaching friendly

1970 mini cooper

I am looking to buy a new or used gps but want one that supports geocaching. What I am refering to is one that will allow me to download the caches via usb and no manual input required. Must work with windows 7. I see the explorist GC I like that one but wanted more options. What other models should I be looking at. Thanks there are so many but some seem to be a pain for geocaching vers others. I want the type that is built with geocaching in mind. Thanks so much

Edited by 1970 mini cooper

"Geocaching friendly" and "Paperless" are two different things...

Do you want the cache page descriptions of the caches on the unit as well?

What is the main diff. I am realy after the directions to the cache. I used a old magellan merdian gold worked great but had to input manually the cords. I would like to just download them via usb and store them that way. When talking paperless is that just the hints and clues? Thanks Mini 1000

Paperless means that you download the cache info (including hints), create field notes on the unit and upload them to geocaching.com, thereby eliminated all use of paper -- 'cept of course, the log that is internal to the cache. Field notes, after uploading allow you to edit the notes into a full blown log before submitting as a "find". We do that, using a type of shorthand because entering the field notes into the unit can be clunky -- depending on the make/model of GPSr.

Non-paperless units simply download basic info for which you use to find the cache. Usually w/o hints and the ability to make notes. All of that stuff would be done utilizing paper, either printing the info out or by taking written notes for each cache during a long day of caching (some of us have less storage capacity upstairs, ya know).

Obviously, the paperless units are normally a little more costly.

Tread lightly, as some units are "almost" paperless, and are sometimes sold as true paperless units.

The difference = cake vs. cake and frosting.

Have a look at my Resource website (link under my signature). There is a page on GPS receivers and another on Paperless. The GPS page including details of their features, what they mean, what maps are available and what GPS's these maps work on. I've done a comparison table of all the current Garmin and Magellan models with features. It may help you choose what you want. Please note it is written for UK Geocachers so the bit about maps is UK specific.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

I would be open to either option what type of GPS should I be looking for that will provide me the basic needs and work with windows 7 and have the ability to upload data from USB. Any suggestions would be great. I am using this only for geocaching no real other use needed. Thanks so Much mini 1000

Being a Basic Member and not having access to pocket queries, I think your major criteria will be price.

I think the majority of handhelds by Garmin or Magellan will do what you want. It's a matter of how much do you want to spend.

I am a complete and utter newb to GeoCaching and the Garmin eTrex 10 was perfect for me. It is completely paperless. There are several distinct disadvantages: 1. The manual is completely sparse. Many of the nuances you will have to figure out on your own. For example, the "compass" really isn't a compass at all. It figures out the orientation by the direction you are travelling so you could stop and twirl in place and it will not readjust until you start moving again. 2. Adding notes or labels to way points is a royal pain. 3. There are no pre-loaded maps other than towns and major bodies of water.

Other than that, this is really a good unit IMHO for the $$$. It is extremely simple and what the manual lacks it makes up for in user friendly-ness. If I only had $100 to spend on a GPS this is what I would get.

-Dave

Have a look at my Resource website (link under my signature). There is a page on GPS receivers and another on Paperless. The GPS page including details of their features, what they mean, what maps are available and what GPS's these maps work on. I've done a comparison table of all the current Garmin and Magellan models with features. It may help you choose what you want. Please note it is written for UK Geocachers so the bit about maps is UK specific.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Thanks for the link great input on the features of gps systems. This really helps on what I can look at and the features I will get or go with out. So many thanks.

"Geocaching friendly" and "Paperless" are two different things...

Do you want the cache page descriptions of the caches on the unit as well?

What is the main diff. I am realy after the directions to the cache. I used a old magellan merdian gold worked great but had to input manually the cords. I would like to just download them via usb and store them that way. When talking paperless is that just the hints and clues? Thanks Mini 1000

I am a long time user of Meridians and have collected the entire line, including a Gold. The Gold is a great geocaching unit......you can download 500 caches to your Gold using the serial cable that comes with the unit....if your computer dose not have a serial connector you can purchase a USB/Meridian cable on ebay. You can buy a Clie' or Palm PDA for $20-$50 which can hold all the cache information ( The " paperless " stuff)

If money is no object , I highly recommend the Garmin 62S....it will do it ALL.

I am looking to buy a new or used gps but want one that supports geocaching. What I am refering to is one that will allow me to download the caches via usb and no manual input required. Must work with windows 7. I see the explorist GC I like that one but wanted more options. What other models should I be looking at. Thanks there are so many but some seem to be a pain for geocaching vers others. I want the type that is built with geocaching in mind. Thanks so much

If you would like one that is a little more money, I have and love my Delorme PN-60 also the Garmin Etrex 30 is a very nice unit. I like the 3-axis compass and for me it is a must.

Thanks